Can curvy girls rock skirts??

Blueeyesangel18

Hi everyone I really want a cute denim skirt (I don't own any skirts at all!)
but Im quite well lets say curvy, Im a 14 uk size in jeans I would wear it with tights but my legs are pretty toned imo I just wanna know would I get stares or sniggers if I wear a skirt
th_dunno.gif

spacegirl2007

heck yeah!
skirts can be flattering on all shapes and sizes and they are (IMO) sooooo comfy and so cute.

the biggest thing i would be concerned about is the length, try to find a flattering length for your height/shape. you want something that doesn't hit at the "widest" part of your legs or calves. for most people, a flattering legnth is just below the knee (1-2"). a tulip hem can look amazing on curvy gals if youre comfortable with your curves. otherwise a-line is flattering on most anyone. also pencil skirts are pretty popular, if you think youd be comfortable in that.

M.A.C. head.

I can *shrugs*

It depends on what you really mean by "curves" though. And it also depends on the type of skirt.

Kayteuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueeyesangel18
but Im quite well lets say curvy, Im a 14 uk size in jeans I would wear it with tights but my legs are pretty toned imo I just wanna know would I get stares or sniggers if I wear a skirt
th_dunno.gif

14 is the best size to be, pencil skirts will look amazing on you with a pair of high heels.
With slightly curvy figures try not to go above the knee, also longer skirts can look very beautiful and elegant.

kattybadatty

the higher the skirt, the higher the heel!
smiles.gif

...because the more leg/thigh you show, the more length you will need in a shoe, to elongate the leg so it does not look stumpy. and opaque tights/leggings to great with short skirts!

laraVENGEANCE

im a uk size 14 and i wear skirts all the time with black tights, but thats just cause im paranoid about how my legs look when theyre pale haha. i wear them without tights when im tanned. im actually more comfortable in a lot of skirts than i am in jeans.

Simply Elegant

It depends on what you mean by curvy. I think we think of it differently. I'm thin and curvy and wear skirts all the time and I love them.

TISH1124

Thats a US size 12....I don't really think there is a particuler size limit that can wear skirts or anything for that matter....it's just finding the skirts that flatter your frame.

lindas1983

It sounds like you've a good pair of legs so hell yeah you should be able to rock a skirt. In my opinion getting away with wearing skirts is all about the legs not the waistline.

Stephy171

agreed with tha girlss... you can wear skirts SUREE!! why not??? hehe thing is like people say finding the right length & right shape to flatter you!!

Holy Rapture

Well, for one, am curvy (if your curvy means the same as my curvy)
greengrin.gif
... I have a long denim skirt ... I mean, it falls somewhere near my ankles ... Its a mermaid fit (stretchable denim - rust colored) ... Has a slit at the middle, at the back .... God, it's the most flattering skirt I have ... Since you want a denim skirt, try something long for starters, if you feel okie ... HTH
smiles.gif
Tell us how it goes ....

LMD84

well i'm a uk size 18 and i wear skirts when i go on nights out all the time! lengh is the main thing i worry about - i'd never wear a skirt that is short. generally i go for pencil skirts which are below the knee and killer heels or just above the knee skirts. and if you are feeling paranoid wear some tights or leggins underneeth (or when it's cold!!)

but yeah heels are generally a must when i wear a skirt because it makes my legs longer and therefore they look slimmer!

gingin501

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueeyesangel18
th_dunno.gif

It's all about finding the right skirt for your size and shape. I am very curvy and I most have some flare in my skirts. I could not dare wear a straight pencil skirt by no means! LOL!

Grab some skirts and hit the dressing room and see what works for you!

Good luck!!!

BEA2LS

I'm bigger, i wear skirts. i like them with black tights, or tights and boots. it's more a warmth/pale thing though. i find leggings under skirts to be really flattering.
i find that mid calf boots work well on me and so do skirts that hit the top of the knee.

couturesista

ITA, about the pencil skirts. I love them with ankle boots and stilettos/pumps. You shoud try some reallly sexy and funky tights/stockings! Very pin-upish! oh, and try some belts with the skirts if its appropriate!

There's always Spanx and shapers!

nikkim

It doesn't matter what size you are as long as your clothes are flattering. I am a size 18-20, I love to wear skirts, I think I have a great pair of legs. Rock you skirts and have fun doing it!!!

FlashBang

Any size and any shape can rock a skirt
greengrin.gif
ITA with everyone here, it totally depends on the length and cut.

Im a UK size 8, hourglass shape and I can pretty much wear any skirt, but because of my height (Im 5'3'') I have to be very careful with length so that I dont look dwarfed. I end up limited sometimes to fairly short skirts (thigh high and sometimes shorter). I like wearing short skirts but I would love to look elegant and I find that really hard to achieve with my height when it comes to skirts/dresses.

Curvier girls rock the pencil skirt by far the best because you need to have those curves to make it look good, its the most flattering and so vintage pin up style.
Pins are also important, if youve got a good pair, flaunt them but if you feel self concious put on some tights or leggings. Patterned are opaque are actually very in this season.

MadameXK

Women of all sizes should love their body and realize how beautiful they are. For every guy that loves size 0's, there will be a guy who loves a size 16. If you feel comfortable with your body and what you are wearing, it will show and you absolutely will not draw snickers. If you do, they are undoubtedly jealous.

However, I think for women of all sizes there are some rules for skirts, like no mini skirts after college, nothing too tight or short, just basic anti-tacky precautions. As long as you look tasteful, who cares what size you are; keep your head up high and strut your stuff
smiles.gif

ClaireAvril

lets not focus on the size of the garment.. look @ what looks good on your body. I am a size 14-16 I love pencil skirts.. high waisted pants and skirts everything.. as long is it compliments my figure. I won't let my size hold me back.