can you tell me which ingredients may have been tested on animals?

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
Which product are you referring to? If you mean ingredients in general, I'd assume every single one has been tested at some point.

shellygrrl

Staff member
For decades it was the easiest way to test ingredient safety. (Even cruelty-free companies have benefitted from this information.) Anyway. Technology is a lot more advanced now, so testing isn't necessary, even for newer ingredients that have been introduced into cosmetics. The EU has banned animal testing for cosmetics, and there is now a bill in the US House that would do the same. That said, there are companies who still go through the process -- particularly ones who sell their products in China, as animal testing for cosmetics is a legal requirement there. Three things of note, though: 1) If a company sells in Hong Kong (which is part of China), but not the mainland, they're not subject to required animal testing. 2) Products by NYX, wet'n'wild, and e.l.f. are all made in China, and all three companies have cruelty-free status. (I find it very ironic, personally.) 3) A brand can be cruelty-free while their parent company may not be. (Examples: NARS is owned by Shiseido. NARS is cruelty-free; Shiseido isn't. The Body Shop and Urban Decay are owned by L'Oreal. Both companies are cruelty-free while L'Oreal isn't.)

marie4u

3) A brand can be cruelty-free while their parent company may not be. (Examples: NARS is owned by Shiseido. NARS is cruelty-free; Shiseido isn't. The Body Shop and Urban Decay are owned by L'Oreal. Both companies are cruelty-free while L'Oreal isn't.)

hey i know at early ages this was done. i was asking about today. thank you for your information.