Can you work in the cosmetic department w/o experience?

iio

This girl told me that she can get me in the cosmetic department in Macy's for Shiseido. She said that the girls are going to need some help and need someone to cover for her while she is on maternity leave and she told me that I can use her as a reference. I asked if I needed experience in cosmetics and she said no because they will train me and I would have to go to some classes each month for it. I am a little intimidated because I have a lack of experience in cosmetics, like putting on makeup on ppl. This would be a temporary job until she comes back but they might keep me if they want to.

I just wanted to know if any of you girls have worked in cosmetics in a department store? If I was to give this job a try and get an interview...what would the manager want to hear from me? I do love makeup and beauty so I think this will be a fun opportunity. Im just a little scared cause these girls look like professionals and I dont like to look stupid trying to go into something that I dont have experience, I guess Im just doubting myself too much. I just want to know in more details what the cosmetic department is like?

boudoirblonde

I work at Dior in a department store, but I have done a make-up artistry course.

I dont think you need experience, or to have a course behind you, but it definitely helps. But if you go to training BEFORE you start on counter, you'll be fine
smiles.gif

but if you have to work for a while before you go to training, it can be a little scary! But you'll have the other girls to help you!

I say go for it! You'll do great
greengrin.gif

miss_supra

It depends on what you can do. If you have good make-up application and willing to learn some brands will hire you. I know a lot of girls that started just doing make-up for friends and had no other make-up experience. Clinique tends to do this. M.A.C and brands like benefit will not hire you if you do not have any professional experience. I was a runner back in the day and the cosmetic department manager said she’d start me off in Clinique if I wanted to get into cosmetics.

imperfectbeauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_supra
It depends on what you can do. If you have good make-up application and willing to learn some brands will hire you. I know a lot of girls that started just doing make-up for friends and had no other make-up experience. Clinique tends to do this. M.A.C and brands like benefit will not hire you if you do not have any professional experience. I was a runner back in the day and the cosmetic department manager said she’d start me off in Clinique if I wanted to get into cosmetics.

really?? i went into my regular MAC counter the other day and was talking with my MA. She said one of the new girls that they had hired didn't have much makeup experience but more retail experience and she was still hired.

NadiaD

BeneFit hired me, and I've only ever done makeovers on friends. I am treating like a stepping stone for MAC though , and am doing a BTEC in Make Up Artistry alongside my degree next year. You should be fine, a lot of people start like that.

Nadia xx

baybehbekah

it really depends on your personality and really if you're what the manager is looking for. sometimes they need artist and other times they need good sales people. some managers like to hire people that have no experience because they can train them the way they want them to be, others want the experience and people to know what to do.

just be fun & positive & you'll be fine!
smiles.gif

kattybadatty

I never went to beauty school/cosmetology school. I had 6 months of retail experience when I was 17. And MAC hired me. It's a lot about you as an ARTIST, your performance level, customer service, and your approach to the market. You need to make sure you have something to offer the company, so the first thing out of your mouth shouldn't be "I've never worked with makeup before." It should be "THIS and THAT is what I HAVE done, and it applies to this job because...."

miss_supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperfectbeauty
really?? i went into my regular MAC counter the other day and was talking with my MA. She said one of the new girls that they had hired didn't have much makeup experience but more retail experience and she was still hired.

It really depends on the person hiring.