Casual Dinner....

DaniPhiSig

Wore this look out tonight to dinner with my husband. He really likes me au-natural, so I tried to do something that would give some color without looking too much like I'm wearing makeup....

Here's my first FOTD using eyeshadow primer. Please give me any tips on using it since I never used it before.

Thanks!

FACE--
Bare Minerals SPF Foundation-TAN
Bare Minerals Mineral Veil-TINTED
Bare Minerals Blush-THISTLE (I just picked this up yesterday)
ULTA Professional Eyeshadow Primer

EYES--
Bare Minerals e/s-PEBBLE (lids)
MAC e/s-SATIN TAUPE (lids)
MAC e/s-RETROSPECK (browbone)
MAC e/k-TEDDY (upper lids & water line)
MAC e/s-TEMPTING (lower lashline)
Maybelline Collassal Mascara-BLACK

LIPS--
ULTA l/g-SHIMMER
Too Faced Bronze l/g-SUN BUNNY (just picked this up yesterday in my haul, it smells like chocolate!)

Remember this is my first attempt at shadow using the primer, so any tips would be delightful. Thanks! (please excuse all the cups and cleaners on my dresser....the A/C leaked through the ceiling in the closet and we had to clean it off the carpet)

EYES
DSCN0047.jpg

Final Product:
DSCN0054.jpg

gildedangel

Very natural and pretty! I think that the lighting may be washing the look out a little (I have that problem with my looks). The l/g that you used is so pretty though!

DaniPhiSig

Quote:
Originally Posted by gildedangel
Very natural and pretty! I think that the lighting may be washing the look out a little (I have that problem with my looks). The l/g that you used is so pretty though!

yeah, the lighting in our bedroom sucks for photos...1/2 of it is from the lights above and 1/2 is natural light from the window. Sometimes the flash goes off, sometimes it doesn't. I did the pat technique rather than wipe on with the brush, and that seemed to help the color adhere to my eye as well. Maybe because of the darkness of ST it doesn't show up as well...I'll try some other looks this week since I am taking off of work to do a cleanse.

I LOVE the l/g..it doesn't feel sticky and hasn't come off yet.

LilSphinx

With primers like UD's Primer Potion, less is best and just blend it from lid to brow bone and maybe even a little under the eyes along your lashs and inner corners.

I don't know what lighting around your house is like, of course, but I've been having the best luck with bathroom lighting to show my eyeshadow colors accurately. Maybe that would work for you?

I would also try something white on your lid as a base, be it NYX's "Milk" jumbo pencil or a while pencil eye liner, etc. But white would really help to make the colors pop and look brighter.

Taupes look really pretty on you and the neutral/natural look is great on you, but for colors like purples and greens, etc. I'd try the white base first.

ruthless

That look is so natural and pretty! I love to experiment and play with makeup, but I know that when I'm subtle I look my best. Otherwise I look like Mimi from the drew carey show!

A Ro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilSphinx
I don't know what lighting around your house is like, of course, but I've been having the best luck with bathroom lighting to show my eyeshadow colors accurately. Maybe that would work for you?

I would also try something white on your lid as a base, be it NYX's "Milk" jumbo pencil or a while pencil eye liner, etc. But white would really help to make the colors pop and look brighter.

What she said
yes.gif

madnicole

http://www.specktra.net/forum/f280/h...-camera-46494/
On almost all cameras you can turn the auto flash on or off. I find that natural daylight & no flash is best however saying that rarely find the time during the day! The above link is amazing (thank you MissChevious (sp?)) and gives lots of advice about using your camera settings.
I agree with all the other advice above. NYX Milk rocks..... If you are really wanting a bold or bright look, I always find dampening my brush (whether mac mixing medium, or homemade mixing medium 1 parts glycerine to 3 parts water) works and DUWOP also make a product called Payoff - you can add a drop to your eyeshadow pan and it turns a little of it into a creamy consistency that gives better payoff. It's not supposed to leave a crust on your eyeshadow but I have noticed that is does just a little...I have been able to use it fine afterwards though...
Maybe try the mixing medium first though - making it is cheap, and you can then perhaps use it to darken your lashline or crease and create more depth in the looks...
Love the blush/bronzer! Your skin looks amazing and the satin taupe definitely stands out better with the primer and patting it on....
cheers!

DaniPhiSig

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnicole
http://www.specktra.net/forum/f280/h...-camera-46494/
On almost all cameras you can turn the auto flash on or off. I find that natural daylight & no flash is best however saying that rarely find the time during the day! The above link is amazing (thank you MissChevious (sp?)) and gives lots of advice about using your camera settings.
I agree with all the other advice above. NYX Milk rocks..... If you are really wanting a bold or bright look, I always find dampening my brush (whether mac mixing medium, or homemade mixing medium 1 parts glycerine to 3 parts water) works and DUWOP also make a product called Payoff - you can add a drop to your eyeshadow pan and it turns a little of it into a creamy consistency that gives better payoff. It's not supposed to leave a crust on your eyeshadow but I have noticed that is does just a little...I have been able to use it fine afterwards though...
Maybe try the mixing medium first though - making it is cheap, and you can then perhaps use it to darken your lashline or crease and create more depth in the looks...
Love the blush/bronzer! Your skin looks amazing and the satin taupe definitely stands out better with the primer and patting it on....
cheers!

Thanks for all the advice! The blush is actually from Bare Minerals. I use their foundation, and my normal MAC powder blush would just cake on my cheeks. I decided to try the BM blush and I love it! I think that the color is perfect for summer, but I'll have to find a different color for winter since my olive skin isn't tan when the temps go down a bit. :)