celebrities in the spotlight

choseck

In last weeks US Weekly they had an article on Ricky Lake. She stated she wore a size 2-4. Okay, I wear a size 4 and I'm a hell of a lot smaller than she is. This got me thinking..

I know that designer clothes tend to have smaller sizes - so when they report that this or that celebrity wears a size 0 - technically aren't they a size 4? I'm just guessing at that size. I mean, here I am thinking that I'm a lot bigger than say -- Jada Pickett Smith, but really, if I were a celebrity and wore expensive clothes wouldn't I be the same size?

Am I making any sense here? I guess what I'm trying to say is that maybe some of these celebrities aren't as tiny as we believe them to be.

Sorry, just something I was thinking about today while doing my lunges on the BOSU ball at the Y this morning! Curious to see if my thoughts make sense
hmm.gif

Kimberleigh

What you're referring to is called 'vanity sizing'. If I shop at Old Navy (which I hate to do), I wear a 6 or an 8. If I shop at Banana Republic or if I shopping at Saks, I'm a 2 or a 4. The higher end the store/product, the smaller the size. So you're absolutely right :)

Shimmer

there's also the couture sizing, which is actually pretty panic inducing.
That's why a woman who wears a six normally wears a ten in a wedding dress. It's european/couture sizing.

choseck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
there's also the couture sizing, which is actually pretty panic inducing.
That's why a woman who wears a six normally wears a ten in a wedding dress. It's european/couture sizing.

I just experienced that yesterday! I went to get measured for a bridesmaid dress and was told that I have a 'large ribcage' so I had to get a size 10 to fit around my waist - it would be nice if sizing was universal -- and easier!

Latest posts