Cell Phone Ringtones

joytheobscure

I have a serious problem I just got a "new to me" second hand cell phone (camera phone) from my sister, and I swear in between loads of laundry I've spent all afternoon listening to and selecting a few ringtones.... argh... It needs to stop!!! And of course I'm one of those people who is in my late, late twenties and I've always said "I don't need all that crap on a phone" - well look at me today, downloading, playing games-most of the afternoon.....rediculous... Of course I'd went for a few years without a cell phone-two years ago I didn't have one and only used a tracfone-sparingly.

So how many ringtones have you downloaded?
Do you have games on your phone?

Shimmer

oh my gosh I have saved myself so much money by making my own ringtones.
At one point in time I had a ringtone for every member of my family...and I have a BIG family!

user6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmer
oh my gosh I have saved myself so much money by making my own ringtones.
At one point in time I had a ringtone for every member of my family...and I have a BIG family!

Woohoo! Same Here!! Xingtone saved my life!!!!!
encore.gif

juli

How do you make ur own ringtones??

I did use to have games on my old cell phone but then oh boy was that addictive. I had my cell phone on my hands 24/7
icon_eek.gif
I was playing on my cell phone like every chance I had... I think I even ignored calls when I was in the mid of playing games.
lol.gif

Shimmer

like I said I use cool edit pro and record a segment of song then email it to my phone.

But since I use bluetooth it never rings the ringtone.
And if you thing games are addictive, get a SLVR and freaking try NOT listening to the music on IT!
smiles.gif

Jaim

I've downloaded like 30 (free) ringtones, but I have no games. Don't like. ;p

IslandGirl77

Ha, I use to make ringtones with my old phone on cool edit pro. Now I just drop MP3's on my SD card and pop it in my phone. Sooo easy!

joraye

I use freeringers.net if i need to send them to someone and they have instructions for people most major carierrs. I know Sprint used to use some Qualcomm technology that was sooo hard to turn into ringtones.

Get a motorola (or any other mp3 ringtone compatible phone) and use freeringer's real music relay service, or buy a USB cable for your RAZR or SLVR and BAM! free ringtone.

Chic 2k6

only one i got on my phone is Kayne West - Golddigger, which my mate bluetoothed it over to mine. i have hardly any decent games on mine.

joytheobscure

I have a Nokia, with alltel, and I used a expensive one, realtones I think that is what it was... I love my Sting ringtones.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraye
I use freeringers.net if i need to send them to someone and they have instructions for people most major carierrs. I know Sprint used to use some Qualcomm technology that was sooo hard to turn into ringtones.

Get a motorola (or any other mp3 ringtone compatible phone) and use freeringer's real music relay service, or buy a USB cable for your RAZR or SLVR and BAM! free ringtone.

ohhh please elaborate! haha what is this freeringer you tou speak of.. i have a usb cable for my razr. .. im all giddy tell me more.haha.

joraye

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxAxC-_ATTACK
ohhh please elaborate! haha what is this freeringer you tou speak of.. i have a usb cable for my razr. .. im all giddy tell me more.haha.

OK - basically, this is what I do. If you want precise techie instructions, I will provide those, but for now, here's the overview. This is for Motorola Phones, because that's what I have experience with.

Lemme explain this first:

FreeRingers: Is a relay service. You pay $8 a year for it. One time fee and they don't recharge you. You create the ringtone, and this website will get it to your phone via a text message and you then have to download the ringtone, which is data charges (Cingular charges 1 cent per KB, and most tones are less than 250k.)

USB cable: Completely FREE, if you have the USB cable (which can be purchased for less than $20) and Motorola Mobile Phone Tools software (which I got for free....
graucho.gif
) but is about $50 from Motorola's website. This method uses your computer, the software, and the cable. No text messages or data transfer fees. My mom shut off my text messaging, so this is the method I use.

1) Get the MP3 of the song. Either rip it from a CD you own or download from a file sharing program (which i do NOT support because it is stealing and you will go to prison for a million years and have to pay 91 million dollars in royalities.
smiles.gif
My point is, you can't use your legal stuff off iTunes that you may have bought, because its in MP4 format. You can however, burn those to CD, then re-rip to your computer as MP3s. Wow, this is getting technical. All I'm saying is, the file needs to be a MP3.

2) I use a program called Audacity to crop the part of the song I want, shorten the song to abt 20-30 seconds, and lower the bit rate to 64 bits. I also add a fade in/fade out.

3) Once I have my ringtone how i want it, I have a free plugin for Audacity called the lame_enc.dll It basically makes allows Audacity to export your project back out as an MP3. This file is needed to make the tones. (and I can explain more indepth if needed.)

4) I export and save the ringtone with a shortened filename. I then hook my phone up to my computer, and use MPT's File Transfer Studio to move the MP3 ringtone from my computer to my phone's audio folder (which the software opens for you automatically). I store, and BAM! Free ringtone. With this option, you dont have to be as careful with the file size of the ringtone, as long as you don't run out of room on the phone. (I think the RAZR has 5MB)

5) If you don't have the cable and the Motorola software, use freeringers.net. Sign up, pay the $8, and then use their Real Music Relay. All you do when you sign up is give your phone number, carrier, and phone type. Then upload the ringer you made in steps 1-3, it will send a txt to your phone and you download the ringer using your phone's internet connection. The other cool thing about freeringers.net, is that it will allow you to add 3 other people to your account for no additional charge, so you can send ringtones to family or friends. All you (or they) pay for is the text and the data charges on your phone bill. If you have an unlimited data plan, this shouldn't even phase you.

OK - thats the sloppy version. I can make a nice clean version with pictures and better steps, but I'd just need some interest from people, because it takes a bit of time of course!

Latest posts