Change in the MAC toolbelts.

GreekChick

I'm posting this to let you guys know that the MAC toolbelts material has been changed. And I hope it's only temporary because this is the worst quality material I have ever seen.
If you're ever at MAC wanting to purchase a toolbelt, please make sure to ask your artist to give you a leather toolbelt ( which are the old ones.) You won't be pleased with the new material.

I opened the counter the other day and as I was placing everyone's brushes in their own respective belts, I noticed the material from some of the toolbelts had been ripped up and damaged. I inspected them: yes, they belonged to the new MUAs and were brand new.
Basically, the material was very hard and not at all pliable. Like plastic. The areas that had been ripped up looked like plastic that had been shredded, revealing an inner layer composed of fibers. To give you an idea, picture a plastic "leather" looking purse that is getting old and starting to lose it's material.
In comparison, my toolbelt is very soft and isn't composed of layers.
The quality between the two is extremely extremely different, and noticeable.

I'm dissappointed that the company has changed the quality. It's not for the better.
What's worse is that the price is staying the same.

To the other artists that are on Specktra: Inspect the new toolbelts and get back to me. I want to hear your thoughts.

I'm planning on getting more information on this ASAP, as something is not right. As I stated above, I'm very dissappointed in the quality.

..kels*

my city got a new counter back in August.. like 4 hours into her shift on the first day, one of the girl's toolbelts completely shredded.. the strap was all frayed where it came off. i think she was embarrassed because it only happened to her, but within a week or so there were a few other girls who needed new belts as well. i'd be livid if i purchased one of these only to have it fall apart in a week!
nonono.gif
come on now MAC.. stop skimping on quality!

ms.marymac

I noticed this too. I have not heard about anyone's being damaged, but they are definitely not the same quality. I will stick with my perma-glittered old one.

MAC_Whore

I don't know for sure, so this is just a guess, but perhaps they are replacing only the counter belts with the new cheaper material as a measure to save money. Cosmetic sales are slumping.

I am guessing the ones available for purchase are still the old material. I would hope. Does anyone know for sure?

You have to wonder, for as often as they appear to be falling apart and then need to be replaced, what is the benefit in savings?

GreekChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore
I don't know for sure, so this is just a guess, but perhaps they are replacing only the counter belts with the new cheaper material as a measure to save money. Cosmetic sales are slumping.

I am guessing the ones available for purchase are still the old material. I would hope. Does anyone know for sure?

You have to wonder, for as often as they appear to be falling apart and then need to be replaced, what is the benefit in savings?

No, they are selling the new material. All our toolbelts that are packaged and for sale are the new 100% PVC. Made in China belts.

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekChick
No, they are selling the new material. All our toolbelts that are packaged and for sale are the new 100% PVC. Made in China belts.

Eeeeeeee...that's the suckage. What a shame. I shall handle my old one delicately from here on out.

Ruby_Woo

I bought my tool belt almost a year and a half ago, and its from the new crappy material. Because my belt at work (an ex employee's hand me down) is the leather kind. I wish I would have bought one of those. But they've been like that for a while guys.

Even if someone requested a leather tool belt, there are none
ssad.gif

GreekChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby_Woo
I bought my tool belt almost a year and a half ago, and its from the new crappy material. Because my belt at work (an ex employee's hand me down) is the leather kind. I wish I would have bought one of those. But they've been like that for a while guys.

Even if someone requested a leather tool belt, there are none
ssad.gif

It must vary from one location to another because I sold the last leather toolbelt we had about a month ago.

Anyway, I hope yours doesn't rip to shreds. The only upside I can think of is that it's easier to clean, but aside from that it's terrible.
We are going to have to replace them often (once every 3 months, no joke), so I think that MAC will rethink this and up the quality again.

Imagine working with a shredded toolbelt? How is a customer going to want to purchase one for 50$ when she can clearly see it's outcome?

Ruby_Woo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekChick
It must vary from one location to another because I sold the last leather toolbelt we had about a month ago.

Anyway, I hope yours doesn't rip to shreds. The only upside I can think of is that it's easier to clean, but aside from that it's terrible.
We are going to have to replace them often (once every 3 months, no joke), so I think that MAC will rethink this and up the quality again.

Imagine working with a shredded toolbelt? How is a customer going to want to purchase one for 50$ when she can clearly see it's outcome?

Really?? Aw! I wish I had bought one, here its been like that since I bought mine, and every belt I've sold is the same PVC and people do feel ours and like it and buy it. It sucks because they are not buying what they "saw" . Im gonna try to score one from my co workers that have been there longer now!

GreekChick

Honestly, I'm not sure. It's a matter of the old stock selling out to make space for the new one.
You're best bet is to ask the artist if he or she has any in the back. Sometimes,we still have products that have long been discontinued in stock. Some stores are slower in sending back stock to MAC than others.

You can order the toolbelt online, but I'm 100% sure you'll receive the new one.

bellezzadolce

I work at a counter so we don't sell toolbelts. But we got the PVC belts for the artists and they are very poor in quality : (

ifbbprobp

I know this original post is over a year old now, but I was hoping if any of you have heard any new news on whether or not they've improved them. I was getting ready to place an order & wanted to include one in the order, but looking at the comments on the changes...I'm not so sure. Any opinions? Any other options for a quality belt? Thanks a bunch for any info you might have!
th_confused_new.gif

Steel Magnolia

My uncle brought me home a new toolbelt from the Vegas pro store in September. It is PVC (smells like plastic lol). Luckily mine hasnt fallen apart yet as I dont wear it too often. I do hope MAC improve the durability of the belt for the artists sake though!