Changes, Changes, Changes. (This is a long one, folks)

AmiS4ys

This seems to be the key word for most people lately. From a change in employment (or lack of), to a change in education, to a change in lifestyle. Things are happening around us. Some can take it, and some can't.

What does change have to do with me?

Right now, everything. This time last year, I had a pretty awesome thing going for me. I had met my bf, had a great summer job, my family was doing well, everything was all right.

But then I left for college 500 miles away. Started living with 2 awful roommates (one was worse than the other actually), and had become depressed because I had left my family and my love at home. I also became quite sick due to the stress of everything. One would think I had accustomed myself to this because by this time, it was my second year in college. Not so much. I became so distraught that I transferred back home, I simply could not handle being seperate from the people I knew, my "comfort-zone", if you will. So, to the University of Central Florida I went.

It was hard adapting to living with parents again after living on your own for three months, I had gotten used to it. But I'm glad I came home. My dad's health is slowly degenerating and for a while, we knew why: my dad was previously diagnosed with bladder cancer (I want to say around Sept 2008?). And right now, it has worsened from Stage I to Stage II. He is having his bladder (& prostate) removed June 2nd. I don't think I've ever been more scared for anyone than I have for him. Which leads me to something else off topic, but I want people to know this:

My dad's bladder cancer was a result of smoking cigarettes for 55 years. Keep in mind that every puff you take from a cigarette is diluted by your kidneys and liver & the waste is taken to your bladder to be urinated. All the vital organs involved in this process (among others) are exposed to chemicals in cigarettes.

(Please keep in mind that I am not pushing anyone who reads this to do one thing or another. It is simply something to take heed and think about.)

Because of my dad's health, I've finally decided what I want to do with my career. I've decided to major in advertising and to eventually become an advertising executive/director of groups such as Truth or Above the Influence. I've finally changed where I want to go in life, but there are changes in my family as well. Because of the stress of my dad's health, my mother's health is kind of crummy as well. She's a diabetic who is on the verge of taking insulin shots up to 5x a day. She has neuropathy and it has become really hard to see my mom in pain because there is NO cure for neuropathy.

And I'll leave the sad health story of my family alone. Because the point of this thread isn't to down anyone who reads this. Instead, this is a reminder that things are in constant motion and sometimes they go down instead of up. But you have to look at your life and really look at the good things that are given to you. My parents aren't sitting on their deathbeds. My dad is still up and walking and driving to the grocery store to get some milk. My mom goes about her life like she's never been ill. Out of all people, my boyfriend made me realize this. He's really opened my eyes to make me say to myself, "You know, you need to keep your head up".

So to everyone who is down about having no job, about being alone, or about being unhealthy, always remember that there is a silver lining in every cloud. We just have to adapt until that cloud lets the sun shine through.

Thanks.

L1LMAMAJ

thanks for ur inspirational words. i'm going through some changes right now and cannot be more terrified. it's nice to know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. best wishes to you and your family!!
smiles.gif

MACLovin

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear about the difficult times you and your family are going through right now.
ssad.gif
But you are right, it helps to stay positive and appreciate each and every blessing you have in your life... the time you have with your family and loved ones is very important. I wish you the best, and I hope your father's surgery goes well and he makes a fast recovery. I'll keep your family in my thoughts & prayers.

gildedangel

I am sorry to hear about your father, my grandfather died of lung cancer due to heavy smoking his whole life. My sympathies, thoughts and well wishes are with you and your family. I have a similar situation to yours, I get homesick when I am away at school, I go to school out of state from where my parents live and I totally understand. Thank you for your inspirational words, I truly appreciate them!

Latest posts