Changing my Foundation--a bunch of questions

CantAffordMAC

I know there are countless topics on foundations right now, but that won't really help ME find a foundation will it?
winks.gif

I am a C4 in Studio fix Powder...NC42 concealer. I was re-matched and she did NW35 which worked too....I just don't think i want studio fix anymore. As soon as I get to the end of my compact, it gets those weird ass bumps on it (i had a topic on that before...i think its from the oils in my sponge, but I just don't like it) And I love the coverage it gives me but when I'm very broken out its like...not enough. And it always seems to wear off by the end of the day.

Sometimes I really think I'm doing something wrong. I use Moisturelush face cream, then concealer, then studio fix, then i add a little more concealer if needed. I just bought blot powder, but to be completely honest...i don't know how to use it. I started putting it on right after my foundation, as a setting powder? But I don't know if thats right...

I am thinking maybe theres something better out there. I like powders better than liquid, but sometimes I feel like the studio fix fluid covers me way better and makes my skin look airbrushed. I turned my back on liquid foundations because they make my skin feel clogged and greasy and gross? I want something that feels light but with great coverage. it doesn't have to be MAC ...just $30 or less.

Also...what do you guys do when summer comes around and u start getting tan? I kind of want to go tanning but even if I don't, I know I'll probably get an airbrush tan. I know that my foundation color won't be the same but I also don't want to wait a couple months to get a new foundation lol...because I'm just going to keep getting darker all summer. Does that make sense??

Simply Elegant

Maybe you need a primer. That won't make your face feel heavy. You can set a powder foundation with a powder if you want to, if you have really oily skin or are planning on being out all day without touching up.

I mix my foundation with a liquid bronzer or use a bronzer or a darker powder on top. I don't usually buy new foundation.

I know you asked for a foundation under $30, but my HG powder foundation is $32 and it's CoverFX's powder fx foundation.

Caramel_QT

If you are broken out, you may want to hold off on using the Moisturelush for a while and see if your skin clears up a bit.

You may want to give the studio fix fluid a try - it is quite matte - not greasy at all in my experience (I've been using is less than a week). It seems to matte/dry up as I'm applying it. You should give that a try.

MissChriss

I am new to MAC (2 months) but I love the Studio Stick. This is my first time using anything other than a cream or liquid and liking it. It is amazing. I had previously purchased a stick type foundation before and hated it but MAC stick foundation is lightweight and it covers really well. It is also great to make touchups throughout the day with. My makeup still looks good by the time I get off work. To freshen it up I usually just dab under eyes on cheeks and blend and its back to looking like new. I know everyone else is raving about other foundations from MAC that I would love to try one day but right now I am loving the stick. Since you say you like powders instead of liquid i think you should also try it because of that. It does give that type of finish without being too powdery and I am oily so when I start oiling in the tzone I look like I am glowing lol.

wifey806

Hello! what is your skin type? Your moisturizer is for dry skin, but the other details sound like your oily or at least norm/combo..?

studio fix liquid foundation... omg, it actually looks like skin! and buffed with the 187 or 188 brush looks like i'd been airbrushed. that might be a good option! (and kohl's has a $7 knock off brush, u prolly already know. it's kinda scrathy though, booo).

or maybe this trick: as a mua, pretty much just keep studio finish concealer in my kit. after appyling primer to the skin, i skip the moisturizer. instead, mix your moisturelush (or whatever lotion u need that day) on the back of your hand and mix it with your studio finish concealer. depending on how much moisturizer u use, i can mimic the coverage of any mac foundation. i use msf natural to set, or the blot in the loose formula if they're more oily.

the only other thing i can think of is switching to a lighter lotion (especially 4 summer), and making to buy new sponges each week for studio fix..? I dunno girl! you're so pretty, u can do anything
tong.gif

CantAffordMAC

aww well thank you!

can anyone recommend me the following things:
1)a good primer
2)how to apply the blot powder? I really hate the little puff that came with it....and do i dab it on or wipe/spread it on my face? before or after foundation?

wifey806

I keep Smashbox original in my kit but I don't see the big deal. I'm oily and looooove Boots no. 9 from Target! I believe it's called Mattifying Primer.

I have the mac prep & prime, but UG!! It has "light diffusers" aka super fine shimmer... I used it on a mother-of-the-groom, and it was sooo bad!

as for blot powder, it's just to touch up throughout the day -- like with a little travel or retractable brush since u don't like the puff. it doesn't add that cakey layer, it just mattifies (but u prolly know that)

ps, do u use blot powder in the morning over studio fix? if so, do u feel like it helps "set" studio fix? just curious, cuz i heard fix+ "sets it". just wondering... i love to learn!
th_shake2.gif

amoona

You shouldn't be using a sponge to apply the Studio Fix. You should use a brush. Sponges are what breaks you out and what causes the bumps in your powder. As long as you use sponges you'll keep breaking it out. Studio Fix goes on a lot nicer with a brush too.

Tonee

I agree that Studio Fix should be applied with a brush. I have used SF for many years and love it. I like MAC's 129 powder brush and Smashbox #1 as well. The coverage can be controlled and it looks very even and polished. Besides, you can wash the brush once or twice a week and it's much more cleaner than using a sponge.

After you apply the powder foundation, use the MAC Blot powder to set it and then later for touch ups during the day. I use a brush for this as well but you can use the sponge as long as you wash it/replace it regularly.

Primer - MAC Prep and Prime SPF 50 is a great product. It works very well under all types of foundation. Use a suitable moisturizer depending on your current skin type. You can have dry skin during winter and combination skin during summer, so you need to change your moisturizer accordingly.

HTH!

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifey806
I keep Smashbox original in my kit but I don't see the big deal. I'm oily and looooove Boots no. 9 from Target! I believe it's called Mattifying Primer.

I have the mac prep & prime, but UG!! It has "light diffusers" aka super fine shimmer... I used it on a mother-of-the-groom, and it was sooo bad!

as for blot powder, it's just to touch up throughout the day -- like with a little travel or retractable brush since u don't like the puff. it doesn't add that cakey layer, it just mattifies (but u prolly know that)

ps, do u use blot powder in the morning over studio fix? if so, do u feel like it helps "set" studio fix? just curious, cuz i heard fix+ "sets it". just wondering... i love to learn!
th_shake2.gif

i dont even use my blot powder yet, because when I did it didnt do much...i dont know i think i did it wrong. i have fix+ and dont use that either...i like how it takes away the powdery finish but it definetly doesnt set it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoona
You shouldn't be using a sponge to apply the Studio Fix. You should use a brush. Sponges are what breaks you out and what causes the bumps in your powder. As long as you use sponges you'll keep breaking it out. Studio Fix goes on a lot nicer with a brush too.

well why does it come with a sponge then? I tried using a 187 but it didnt give me anyyyy coverage. maybe i should try another brush?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonee
I agree that Studio Fix should be applied with a brush. I have used SF for many years and love it. I like MAC's 129 powder brush and Smashbox #1 as well. The coverage can be controlled and it looks very even and polished. Besides, you can wash the brush once or twice a week and it's much more cleaner than using a sponge.

After you apply the powder foundation, use the MAC Blot powder to set it and then later for touch ups during the day. I use a brush for this as well but you can use the sponge as long as you wash it/replace it regularly.

Primer - MAC Prep and Prime SPF 50 is a great product. It works very well under all types of foundation. Use a suitable moisturizer depending on your current skin type. You can have dry skin during winter and combination skin during summer, so you need to change your moisturizer accordingly.HTH!

okay so the 129 brush...i should use that? i will definetly try the blot powder how u told me to...i have been using the moisturelush and Im done with it. I'm going to get a moisturizer for combination skin because some parts of my face are dry, and some parts get oily. do i use a nmoisturizer, then primer, then my makeup?

Tonee

Do you have any powder brushes already? You need a dense, soft brush similar to #129. Try out the ones you have before buying a #129 - saves quite a few $$$!

Yes, the order is moisturizer - (sunscreen) - primer - foundation. Sometimes the sunscreen is already added to the moisturizer or primer.

You can spritz the brush with Fix+ after applying the foundation on your face and brush it over lightly and see how it works out.

Simply Elegant

I find using the 182 works so well for applying powder to control oilyness. Plus you can use that with the studio fix for extra coverage.