choking scare!

queenofdisaster

how do you all cope when your babies choke? omg my daughter choked on chex mix earlier and it scared me so bad i was in tears. me and my husband had to pull it out of her throat and pound on her back, he laid her over his knee and got it all out.

she just loves to stuff her mouth full of food and she doesn't understand that it doesn't work that way. i feel so bad.

she vomited everywhere and she couldn't stop crying it was like she was hyperventilating... but she apparently got over it quick and went right back for the chex mix. lol... of course i said HECK NO! it was late so i made sure she was calm and put her to bed. but lord im still kind of shaken up...

caffn8me

I'm really sorry to hear about your scare but really relieved that your daughter is OK! Sounds like you're going to have to watch her like a hawk.

Janice

I'm so relieved that you and your husband were able to handle the situation. So amazing how babies bounce right back and only the parents/adults are the ones left shaken. I guess someone has to learn the lesson from it, right?
smiles.gif
Glad to hear the kidlet came away unscathed.
thmbup.gif

Another Janice!

I've got one of those "cram the whole thing in my mouth" babies too.

He's choked a couple times. You have to act fast but do not panic. I just stick my finger inside his mouth along the inside of his cheek and side swipe out whatever is stuck in his throat. If you try to pull it out straight, it could get lodged even further and get really scary.

Glad she's ok.

~LadyLocks~

Gurl...I so know how you feel! A few months back the same thing happened to my daughter while we were at a friends house. We were eating pizza, wheat pizza at that so the crust was a bit thicker than normal. Knowing my daughter didn't have all her teeth, I always made sure that the pieces were small enough for her to chew. Sometime my daughter would hold her food in her mouth, and then ask for more. Anyway, that night she was so excited to play with her little friends, she came to me to eat and then ran off to play laughing with excitment. All of a sudden I heard her coughing and I ran to her and she was making this chocking noise, I was so freaked out I didn't know what the hell to do, the first thing that came to mind was to turn her upside down and hit her back like they showed us in a safety class I took before I even had me daughter. That didn't work so my friend stuck her finger down my daughter's throat and scooped out whatever she had in her throat which was a tiny piece of bread and after that, she was ok. I was so scarred, I grabbed my daughter and just hugged her and didn't let go of her for awhile. My poor baby was also scarred, she just laid there holding on to me. After a few minutes of that happening, I just burst into tears in fear of what could of happened and didn't stop crying till the next morning. Boy was that a reality check for me! I kept on replaying the incident in my mind over and over again and was mad at myself for not doing more. If it wasen't for my friend, I don't know what I would of done. I serioulsy considered her my guardian angel.

It took me awhile to get over that. I made sure my daughter's food was extra small and made her sit down while eating, no more running/playing while eating is what I told her and stuck to it! The next day at work after the incident, I did some research on chocking and learned exactly what to do if it were to ever happen and god forbid but I wanted to make sure I was prepared. The sad part of it all was everything we did was wrong. Your not suppose to hit the child on their back because it can cause whatever their chocking on lodge further, and your not suppose to stick your finger in their throat because it can cause it to go further back. Your suppose to do the Heimlichmanuver is what I found out. I made sure to learn the steps just in cause but hopefully I'll NEVER have to do that!

I'm glad your daughter is ok! Ahh the scares and worries a parent has to go through!

kaliraksha

Ahh what a scare! =(

My little brother had just learned about safety- CPR, chocking etc at school when he was in 3rd grade... my other little brother was in 1st grade. They were eating at the dinner table and my 1st grade little brother started choking... my mom said she freaked out and didn't know what to do and my 3rd grade old brother went right over and heimlich maneuvered him and out came the chicken nugget. My mom was so proud and was like "you saved your brothers life"

glamdoll

OMG that just happened to me this morning!!
I chopped up cantaloupe for my 8month old cus I want him to
start eating a bit of fresh fruits.

(Ive been feeding him only baby cereals and gerbers!)

it was finely chopped. I made sure of tht but I gave him the first
piece and he tried to swallow it n started coughin and makin choke noises and moving his head around weird..
so i panicked patted him in the back and shoved my finger down his throat.

after that he saw the cantaloupe and turned away!

but Im glad both of u guys' babies are ok.

its a very scary thing to go through.

Shimmer

Try mashing the cantaloupe and mixing it with cereal.

After checking with your dr that he's ready for it of course.
smiles.gif

Latest posts