CHOOSING a camera... so many options, what's a girl to do!?

Brittni

Does anyone else have this problem? I have been itching for a new camera for as long as I can remember (I have a Samsung, which is probably the most easy to use but definitely not highest quality) The only problem is, I have NO idea how to comprehend half of the stuff being talked about in reviews or deciphering between cameras.

SOS.gif

Specifically, I know I want a Canon. I've heard such great things about them and I need something for CLOSE ups of eye makeup, etc. But, Canon's confuse me with their SD this and all their numbers, etc.

Right now, I am thinking this camera (Canon PowerShot SD1100IS 8MP) seems like an amazing deal since you get a printer with it for free if you pick the pink color *and I love pink* but I think that this camera (Canon PowerShot SD890IS 10MP) seems to be better and not that much more pricey... and these are just TWO canons, which probably aren't even "the best"...but I'd rather get the pink and free printer, but I want top quality for building a respectable, true-to-life (color, blending, etc) wise camera!

So pleaseee somebody...help me. This is stressing me out and shouldn't be! Shopping is supposed to be FUN, but camera shopping for just isn't.

Thanks!!!
specktra_rocks.gif

Willa

I've read many comments here and on review sites and my choice stopped on the Sony Cyber shot. It works #1, I love the ''iso'' option, you can take picture without lights and it's going to turn very good!

blindpassion

Hey love. My boyfriend is a professional photographer (you can see his website in my sig) he uses Canon as his camera of choice and we happened to be laying in bed so I asked him his opinion.

He says, hands down the Canon PowerShot SD890IS 10MP is better.

He also says, don't worry about megapixels, those aren't going to give an indication of how good the camera is.

The megapixel only represents the size of the image, not the quality.

The specifications you should be focusing on are stabilization, sensor size, the aperture of the lens (the lower number the better), etc. Also, look for a higher optical zoom.

Hope this helps! I personally have a Sony Cibershot, but its okay... its newer, but its just okay.

MAC_Enthusiast

Go to a camera store and ask a salesperson to help you. Hold a few cameras and see which one feels best in your hands. Some cameras feel better for smaller hands - controls more reachable, etc. Decide on a price range. Explain to the salesperson what you want to take pics of. If you don't know how to use all of the controls, are you willing to learn - take a few classes, practice? If not, maybe you should get a camera with more automatic controls. Read some of the camera reviews on zdnet.com and what people had to say on amazon.com. Just a few things to consider...

ticki

my friend has the 890IS and it takes FANTASTIC pictures. i got a 990IS as a birthday gift so it's really not apples to apples, but i love the thing. one nice thing about the canons is that if you turn off the flash, what you see on the lcd screen is what you get when you snap the picture. i find non flash photography especially helpful in capturing eyeshadow details that would otherwise be washed out by the harshness of flash, and it gives truer color details.

best bet is to go to an electronics store and try out both. snap some pictures with and without flash and see which one gives you the best pictures.

luckycharms

Hey there ! I would suggest Canon if you would like to shop for a new camera. I received the new IXY Digital 920 IS for Christmas and I'm loving it
smiles.gif
It is quite expensive but you will get what you paid for.
I also suggest visiting the store and trying them out or talk to a sales person and ask for their suggestions.
Happy Shopping !

AimeeL

I'm a Nikon girl through and through, but I have used the Canon Powershot series and LOVED them. I just bought the A650 (I think? One of the A600 line) for my mother in law and owned the A640, and used the heck out of it. I'd go for the 10MP mostly so you can make prints bigger and in better clarity if you chose to do so.

MissResha

i love canons, have been using them for years. they never disappoint. and i just saw a 14mp one for like, less than 200, or at least it was 2 weeks ago. i need to get that camera asap!

but yea, do lots of research between at least 3 choices. thats how i chose mine. i have a Canon A620 and i love it. It's 7.1 mp's and it has a rotating screen so u can take pics of yourself LOL. it also has a shitload of other cool features. i just love this camera. but i do need another one that can take SDHC memory card. mine can only handle 2gb
ssad.gif

MAC_Pixie04

I wanted the new Nikon Coolpix S60 (the touchscreen one in the Ashton Kutcher commercial...i love that song!) and asked for it for christmas. Well, my mom went to Best Buy, Circuit City and a few other places and played with the different cameras and compared prices. This particular camera was awful. Even the salesman said so (he was willing to let that $400 sale go away to be honest, thank god) So after a few hours of asking lots of questions and playing with the display cameras, my parents picked me a Sony Cybershot SteadyShot (W170 is the model I believe). It's INCREDIBLE. It's 10.1MP, and it's way clearer than my SIL's 12.3MP Kodak. It has an automatic steady mechanism so my pics are never blurry, for example i went ice skating last night and took pictures of my niece and myself while we were moving. The background behind us is fuzzed but our faces and figures are perfect. It also has a really cool function called Smile Shutter; this detects smiling faces and takes pics automatically. All I have to do is set the focus and as soon as someone nearby starts smilin or laughing it takes pics! So much fun at parties, and again, clear ass pics. I can also get really really clear pics without flash. I took apicture of my friend's black dog on her brown couch at night with no flash, and its like perfect. You can see everything perfectly. All my friends love my camera lol they kept grabbing it to take self portraits at the club the other night. My mom said it was better than all of the Nikons she tried and 2 different Canons.

My suggestion is to go play with the cameras and ask a lot of questions. See what's going to be the best for your money, the easiest to use, and ask about warranties. For example, the warranty on the touch-screen phones is limited because the screen is known to be very delicate so you're not covered for certain damages done to the camera, especially involving the screens. My camera is covered for everything except loss or theft, and it was under $300 for the camera, the warranty, and the memory cards and case.

MsButterfli

i have a sony cybershot dsc w120 with a Carl Zeiss lens...nice clear shots, and takes great vids for youtube and posts them in high quality

Latest posts