City Likely to Fire Manager Over Sex Change

*Stargazer*

Quote:
LARGO, Fla. (March 1) - The City Commission voted to begin the process of firing a top official less than a week after he announced plans to pursue a sex-change operation.

The 5-to-2 vote Tuesday started a three-step process to remove City Manager Steve Stanton from the job he's held for 14 years.

Stanton, 48, confirmed last week that he is a transsexual. With a solid reputation as a forceful and energetic leader, he had hoped to keep his $140,000-a-year job as he underwent the gender reassignment process.

"It's just painful to know seven days ago I was a good guy and now ... I have no integrity," Stanton told the commission. "My challenge here has always been that someday I was going to leave this organization. So I am going to do it with a smile on my face."

Stanton can appeal the decision, though his contract says he can be fired without cause at any time.

He will be placed on paid leave while the city begins the legal process to end his contract. The council must vote again to formally fire him.

"He's done a great job for us," Gerard said. "He's done what we asked him to do and taken the heat over and over and over again and now we're going to turn on him."

Commissioner Mary Gray Black said Stanton's surprise announcement last week "caused stress, turmoil, distraction and work disruption" among other city employees.

"I do not feel he has the integrity, nor the trust, nor the respect, nor the confidence to continue as the city manager of the city of Largo," said Black, who introduced a resolution to fire Stanton on Monday.

About 500 people attended the meeting. Dozens signed up to speak, some praising Stanton and others saying the exposure of his secret life undermined his ability to lead the city.

City officials say they have received hundreds of e-mails about Stanton's announcement, most calling for his removal.

Largo is a city of about 76,000 about 22 miles west of Tampa.

I think this may be the most depressing thing I've read today. I don't understand how you can question someone's integrity or their ability to do a job because they are a transsexual.

Cosmopolitics

I live in the area, and this whole debacle is very public, very sensationalized. I think the whole reason why they are letting him go is because he went public with it. Had he been a little more hush-hush about his private affairs, they might have let him keep his position. However, I hear most of the commission is religious-right.

I do think it's disappointing, though.

Beauty Mark

It's disappointing indeed. Whatever he is, it doesn't matter as long as it doesn't affect the job. I don't think that's something you can really hide, so he probably did have to let people know and couldn't keep it private.

Ms. Z

"Stanton can appeal the decision, though his contract says he can be fired without cause at any time."
He should have read this part of his contract before accepting this position.

It's sad but people are fired all the time for things that are out of their control. I personnaly know someone who found out after getting fired that the cause was her sudden weight gain..... and she was not in show business, modeling or a stripper.

Beauty Mark

Of course, they are legally able to do it, but it doesn't make it morally sound, if that makes sense. He was good enough to do the job for all that time and now, because he's going to be a woman, he isn't good enough?

I think your story about the weight gain person is sad, too. Unless her weight somehow hindered the ability to do the job, it isn't right.

*Stargazer*

It sucks the guy is losing his job. My main complaint is this woman that thinks that because he is having a sex change operation his integrity is suddenly in question?? What on earth does integrity have to do with anything? He's the same person, who by all accounts, has done a fantastic job in this position for years, but suddenly he has no integrity? Bullshit.

Ms. Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
Of course, they are legally able to do it, but it doesn't make it morally sound, if that makes sense. He was good enough to do the job for all that time and now, because he's going to be a woman, he isn't good enough?

I think your story about the weight gain person is sad, too. Unless her weight somehow hindered the ability to do the job, it isn't right.

I don't feel any of these situations are grounds for firing a person, morals has nothing to do with it.

FYI: I am the person who lost the job due to the weight. I gained 20lb.s while working for a law firm as a Receptionist

Beauty Mark

That's dumb that you got fired for a 20 lb weight gain. Moral wasn't what I meant exactly. It's like you can legally do certain things, like be an asshole, but it isn't right. Because of the clause in the contract, they are legally within their rights, but it doesn't make it right.

Ms. Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
That's dumb that you got fired for a 20 lb weight gain. Moral wasn't what I meant exactly. It's like you can legally do certain things, like be an asshole, but it isn't right. Because of the clause in the contract, they are legally within their rights, but it doesn't make it right.

Yes, you are right, it does not make it right.

Latest posts