Cleaning Your MAC Brushes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephy

I recently bought my first ever MAC brush and a quad of some lovely e/s, plus an e/l. Needless to say I'm now very much impressed with MAC
th_worship.gif
Anywho!

I was instructed to buy a 217 MAC brush. It does wonders so far (although I would like to get into blending more, and this brush is a little to soft for that). I was told at the counter that I could wash it with shampoo. I just finished washing it (and so anxious to play around with make up
eyelove.gif
that I'm impatiently waiting for it to dry) and I couldn't get all of the shampoo out. Perhapse I used to much? Does anyone else use this system? It's laying on my counter air drying as I type this, I hope I didn't wreck my baby :p

koolmnbv

Ok I have a freak of a time washing my brushes, they splay all over the place and they dont take there shape back, so if anyone also has any tips for this please post as well!

BlahWah

Do you gently swish it in your hand with the water running? That's how I get my shampoo out. I actually swish it, then lightly squeeze the water out, and repeat. As for using too much, I usually swipe a small amount with the brush itself, say enough to cover the tip. I do wash my brushes twice in one sitting tho, just small amounts each time, first time to break down the gunk on there and the second time to cleanse everything out. I was afraid of over-washing them the first time I did it but they're still working fine for me, so there should be no problem.

Sorry, I'm tired and that might've been rambly. Hope it helped some tho! =P

Stephy

So you wash with shampoo as well? Phew okay I feel a bit better now.

koolmnbv - that's what mine was doing at the end! so I wet it again and left it alone to dry. I haven't gone back to look at it.. lol I'm nervous!

BlahWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolmnbv
Ok I have a freak of a time washing my brushes, they splay all over the place and they dont take there shape back, so if anyone also has any tips for this please post as well!

What I did when I had this problem was, after running the brush under low-running water (make sense?), lightly squeeze out only enough water so the brush isn't swollen with water but still retains some. Actually, it's more like patting the brush with your fingers using a squeezing motion, and while I do that I pat the brush back into its original shape as well. There are still some wayward hairs but not the poofballs it was the first few times I washed them.

Again, I'm tired, I hope the above made some sense and helped a bit!

BlahWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy
So you wash with shampoo as well? Phew okay I feel a bit better now.

koolmnbv - that's what mine was doing at the end! so I wet it again and left it alone to dry. I haven't gone back to look at it.. lol I'm nervous!

Yeah, that's what the MA told me if I can't get the cleanser yet. And I wet the brushes again if I find their splaying while drying, but just patting some water on so it lies flat, not running the brush under the tap again - defeats the process of drying!

koolmnbv

Ok thanks I think this is kind of like what I do, my main problems are with my 217 and my 224 I just dont know why the little hairs go everywhere I guess I have to either suffer or try new ways to wash these, I actually think its something to do with them drying not the washing part. I dunno it frustrates me terrribly

Stephy

how do you dry your 217?

hm. I just checked on my brush and it's got hairs going all different ways.
cry.gif

Whitney Costner

I use "Purity Made Simple" Facial Cleanser by philosophy to clean my brushes. It get's everything out and isn't too harsh.

Plus, you don't wash makeup off your face with shampoo do you? lol! It only makes sense to me to use a facial cleanser to get the makeup out. hee hee!

user79

The MA at MAC told me that I can def wash my brushes with shampoo, but NOT to use baby shampoo! She said there's usually an additive in baby shampoo that guards baby scalps from something called crib head....or somethign, I can't remember the term she used. She said that is not in other shampoos and therefore I should use normal shampoo. I actually use my Neutrogena anti-residue shampoo because the cleansers are very gentle and doesn't cause brush build-up. Works really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.