!!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

laguayaca

Re: PLEASE READ:about coastal scents(very bad news)

Woah
shockt.gif

Eire3

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
You'll find sand in huuuuuuuuuuge quantities on the beach. Every chemical we are exposed to in our daily lives is dangerous under certain circumstances.

Even water is deadly. Scientists have discovered that if you inject a rat with two pints of water it dies. Dangerous stuff, water.
winks.gif

Just because the MSDS gives alarming information and suggests protective clothing for handling a chemical doesn't mean there's any real danger from the chemical in normal everyday use.

MSDSs exist so that those who work with the chemical can be protected against possible health risks. It's partly a legal ass-covering exercise too.

Don't let the scaremongering from those without a good scientific understanding put you off. They may be genuinely concerned but they don't really know the subject they're talking about.

I 'm scared only because i'm working everyday with much more dangerous chemicals than the ones for everyday usage in my chem lab and i'm becoming a little paranoid XD i was talking about those chemicals (and the fear is making me suspicious against anything which has a chemical formula LOL)...It came to my mind talking about these things...though we wear proper protection clothing and stuff i'm always a little scared...but this is OT, sorry :p

Anyway i quote almost everything you said in your previous post...
This is what i try to say sometimes also to natural products fanatics who say that everything which is not completely natural is not safe and is harmful...I think it's almost the same matter as the silica matter discussed here. I mean...many of natural compounds (as you made us all notice with very effective examples) are dangerous, many plants and herbal extracts too and it is to say that many of the products that all the "bio-fanatic" (not talking of anyone here, just someone i know it's like that) consider dangerous because they're made by chemical synthesys are just mimetics of natural compounds, the only difference is that they are produced in a lab because sometimes this is way cheaper than extracting and processing them from plants or microorganisms...
It always depends on usage and quantities, as also panda0410 said

I hope you understand what i wanted to say, sometimes my english plays tricks on me and it seems i'm talking mars language, mostly in these difficult-to-explain-matters LOL

EDIT: on the issue of masks and such: we wear them because some chemicals are harmful when we use them but after we process them they're not anymore and because we must do it by law. We receive the visit of sanitary employees every three months without notice in advance because they must control that we wear our self protection stuff ALWAYS in the lab, even if we're doing anything, as you enter a chemical lab you must wear protective clothes, gloves and glasses. This not necessary means that we're working with dangerous stuff (except with silica, i already said that it's harmful by inhalation but i'm noticing that almost everyone here knows this)

caffn8me

Your English is really excellent - much better than many who claim it is their first language!

It is absolutely right to treat chemicals with respect and wear proper protective clothing when handling them. It is also absolutely right to say that natural does not mean safe.

Tetrodotoxin is 100% natural (puffer fish poison), Ricin (from castor beans) is 100% natural. Both can be deadly in very small quantities. There are countless synthetic chemicals much safer than either of these.

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by NubianHoneii

(BTW yes I know that all the coastal scents pallets can be found on eBay from the source, but Id rather order from coastal scents. They are coming from china and the shipping is horrendous -- and long. I also am less likely to get a problem solved quickly if something goes awry. Sometimes it just pays to deal with the middle man. )

Have you actually ordered any of these palettes from eBay? Because you're making a lot of assumptions here that aren't well-founded. I ordered 4 palettes from eBay from a Chinese seller (the same palettes that CS resells) and the service was extremely quick (9 days shipping time, that's faster than shipment from the USA!) and the total cost is still a lot cheaper than buying from CS. I don't know if I just lucked out, but I had no problem with buying from eBay. I did a few videos on these palettes, if you want to see what seller I bought from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachkitten
Does coastal scents send Youtubers their products for review?

I don't think that I will be purchasing products from coastal scents. I don't apprecaite any business bullying their customers.

Yes, CS and other companies send their products for free to popular Youtubers to review. Now, I'm not saying there's anything inherently wrong with that at all, it's good to get the word out on new products, but that's the main reason why CS has gotten so well known recently. However, now that we are finding out about their shady business practices, I personally feel that as a makeup artist, I cannot support this company, especially when these products are available online for much less and I don't have to worry about being badmouthed by some online CS mafia if I don't like the products.

NubianHoneii

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
Have you actually ordered any of these palettes from eBay? Because you're making a lot of assumptions here that aren't well-founded. I ordered 4 palettes from eBay from a Chinese seller (the same palettes that CS resells) and the service was extremely quick (9 days shipping time, that's faster than shipment from the USA!) and the total cost is still a lot cheaper than buying from CS. I don't know if I just lucked out, but I had no problem with buying from eBay. I did a few videos on these palettes, if you want to see what seller I bought from.

Yes I have actually.
I'm not saying that they're aren't some good sellers from over seas because i have my seller for brushes that I like who's shipping is good. When I ordered a few pallets back when I first got into make-up from an ebay seller overseas (with good feedback mind you) it took almost 2 weeks when I get my coastal scents orders within a week or less. Mind you, I'm in New York too so we do tend to get our things a bit faster being that we are a big city on the east coast. I cant imagine how long it would have taken if I lived in a small town in the us heartland. Alot of the times too I see that the shiping is more then the actual product. That is how they make their money. I also like having a number I can call to talk to a real person (i've never had to call CS but the option is there if I have to). This is just my personal opinion though -- not fact.

LostinBubbles

I am shocked that Costal Scents would treat a customer like this!! Even with the fact that she has promoted their products and brought them many, many sales from doing so. If it was not for YouTube, that company would not be even half of what they are today!
Seeing this video has guaranteed that Costal Scents has lost me as a customer for good! There is no way I would purchase that Silica Sphere crap anyways, but the sheer fact that they would call this girl out and accuse her of misinforming the world and calling her names is ludicrous, unwarranted and unprofessional.
I don't want to associate myself with a company like that in this day and time. It is very much a legitimate concern and there are articles above and beyond the World Wide Web that illustrate such health and safety concerns over such a product. No way would I order from a company that has complete lack of moral and judgment over legitimate concerns over this product.
For them to attack and chastise Erica for informing us about the potential dangers on a personal Vlog is ludicrous, unwarranted and unprofessional. She even defended these people!! They have proven themselves to be irresponsible in addressing the appropriate concerns about the product. Copy and pasting information from Wikipedia does not make these buffoons at Costal Scents any more informed than the next Joe Blow.
If they gave a flying *&$! About the actual health concerns that people have, they would have addressed such concerns about the product in a reasonable and professional manner. Of course that is not even close to what they did! Just because FDA slaps a label on it, doesn’t mean someone can just smear it all over their body in any quantity, if a consumer does not know how to use the product correctly, Coastal Scents is liable for putting that customer in danger!
Okay, I’m done with my rant I think. I just think in this day and age, companies like Costal Scents should nurture their relationship with the customer and not condemn them for questioning their products and their safety. This is our body people!!

Odette

May I suggest checking out " A Consumer's Dictionary of Cosmetics Ingredients" by Ruth Winter. It is quite thorough and lists what ingredients are harmful plus, the FDA's position on them.

CreamPuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
chemical A - ammonium?

Frankly I think the whole debate has been blown way out of proportion. Silica is quite common and used in SO many products including commercial lubricants and in car components. So are we all going to boycot our cars? Are mechanics and tradesmen going to stop using lubricants? I dont think so.... The real issue is inhalation - I have a medical background and silicosis occurs almost exclusively in miners.... the scale of risk for use in cosmetics isnt remotely the same.

As for the companys response, it could have been handled much better. I dont buy their items, never have, but am not likely to now either.

I completely agree that the debate regarding silica had blown out of proportion. But the reason people do not want to buy from them anymore is because of the way they handle issues. The youtube girl never claimed she was a chemist or whatever, she just gave a warning and told people do their own research. The fact that coastal scents went after her like that was extremely unprofessional and this was not the first time they did it either. I personally don't want to buy from them because the owner is an ass who doesn't know how to properly treat her customers.

Also there were other situation where people ended up with strange cc charges after ordering from coastal scent. The odd thing was that charges were coming from the same state and city as where coastal scents is located.
thmbdn.gif
In addition, another girl had her card charged 2 and when she called the so called rep was so rude that she actually called her a liar and hung up on her. The only way she got the extra charge off was after disputing it with her cc company.
nonono.gif

caffn8me

Effectively none. They are both silica powder but that is NOT DANGEROUS in normal cosmetic use. It's only hazardous if you inhale it and you shouldn't be snorting it when you are applying it.

blindpassion

Quote:
Effectively none. They are both silica powder but that is NOT DANGEROUS in normal cosmetic use. It's only hazardous if you inhale it and you shouldn't be snorting it when you are applying it.

(Thank-you!)

As far as I'm concerned, I respect make up for ever as a company, I respect their testing practices, their stance on not testing on animals, and I respect their company history. I guarantee you that the MUFE powder had to go through many tests and screenings before it was released to consumers, there is no way that a company as large as MUFE would put out a product that left them liable to lawsuits.

People say plastic water bottles give you cancer.
Just sayin'.

As far as coastal scents go - they are unprofessional.
But until I hear more solid evidence and proper research - I won't be giving up my HD powder.

There are hundreds of products we use in everyday life that would be lethal to us in the wrong or improperly processed quantities.

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindpassion
(Thank-you!)

As far as I'm concerned, I respect make up for ever as a company, I respect their testing practices, their stance on not testing on animals, and I respect their company history. I guarantee you that the MUFE powder had to go through many tests and screenings before it was released to consumers, there is no way that a company as large as MUFE would put out a product that left them liable to lawsuits.

People say plastic water bottles give you cancer.
Just sayin'.

As far as coastal scents go - they are unprofessional.
But until I hear more solid evidence and proper research - I won't be giving up my HD powder.

There are hundreds of products we use in everyday life that would be lethal to us in the wrong or improperly processed quantities.

Chemically the MUFE HD Powder and Coastal Scent's Silica Sphere powder are identical. They are pure silica of a similar particle size. There is zero difference in risk from using these two products. The only difference is in how the companies deal with their customers and professionalism.

There is no risk difference. Period.

blindpassion

Quote:
Chemically the MUFE HD Powder and Coastal Scent's Silica Sphere powder are identical. They are pure silica of a similar particle size. There is zero difference in risk from using these two products. The only difference is in how the companies deal with their customers and professionalism.

There is no risk difference. Period.

I hear you, I was only referring to MUFE because that is the product I have experience with.

KristyVictoria

It saddens me how few people tried to investigate the source of this information or think for themselves. Just because someone said so on you tube doesn't mean it's true.

CreamPuffer

Quote:

Even water is deadly. Scientists have discovered that if you inject a rat with two pints of water it dies. Dangerous stuff, water.
winks.gif

A lot of thing in excess can be very dangerous. Things you usually deemed safe or never though about. As far as water there have been a number of cases were people have died due to intaking too much water. There is a limit to how much water the body can take in and if it too much, your system will get flushed out. Sad but true.

user79

I think most people are taking issue with the professionalism of how an online company has handled this, it's not only about the product, it's how the owners of the company chose to defend their actions...

Latest posts