college dropout?

d_flawless

as i've been getting more into make up and beauty products, i'm starting to realize that maybe the conventional route (i'm a college freshman now, but i hate it. partly because i'm away from my family and a lot has happened to us this year, partly because i'm in dorms and i can't stand the people here, partly because i'm just not motivated to be in school) is not for me. i know college isn't for everyone, and if i were going to go to beauty school (i'm considering paul mitchell in downtown SF, since i already go to school in, and am from, the bay area) i would have to really put everything into it, because it's so competitive, but is there anyone else here that has gone to college, realized it wasn't necessarily their thing, and decided to pursue the beauty industry as a profession? i'm not trying to insult anyone by saying it's not a profession, it's just that my family isn't exactly supportive of this, they think it's for people who aren't "good enough" to do something else with their life, which really hurts me, because this is something that ALWAYS been an interest me...i just never considered it before, because i was always taught to look the other way. i've always gotten really good grades (i settled @ my safety school because i got super lazy senior year and decided not to apply anywhere else) all my life, and they just think i'm trying to get out fast, because i don't want to work hard to graduate. that's not entirely true, i just don't want to waste my time doing something that doesn't make me happy; my mom just thinks i'm "settling" and using beauty school as a last resort. make up, beauty products, and hair has always been something i'm into though, so it's like, shouldn't i want to work with something that makes me happy? please guys, if you happen to stumble across this long-ass post, words of insight.
thanks
greengrin.gif

Hawkeye

Follow your heart. Thats the best advice I can give you. HOWEVER, I should tell you that beauty school isn't going to be a breeze either. It's hard work.

I do want to tell you to maybe finish up your freshman year in college, and then if you still hate it go with the beauty school. I just want to really make sure you understand that beauty school isn't going to be easy.

HOWEVER, only you can answer yourself.

libra14

I have a teaching degree because of my parents. I am very much like you with the good grades, good test scores..yada yada. I even skipped the 6th grade and graduated high school at 16. My parents enrolled me in school (IU)and expected me to go. My dad is a teacher and I used to want to be one too. By senior year of college I knew I wasn't cut out for it.
I've always loved design, colors, art class was hands down my favorite classes ever. Now I have a teaching degree I'll probably never use I immediately reenrolled in school to study design. I lied to my parents (I know I know. NEVER lie to your parents!) and they think I am in graduate school for education. I still haven't told them that I will become an interior designer in 2 more years. When I mentioned it last summer my dad asked why I would "settle" for that. let me tell you, these classes are hard!
The ironic thing is that I have paid for my education.(with grants, loans, etc.) All of it. Not one dime has come from my parents. Not even graduation money for the first degree. So why can't I just tell them it's my life? I don't know. I don't know if this helps you at all. I just wanted you to know that you are not alone. I am in a very similar situation. I just wish I had the courage to change majors before I spent so much time and money on something I don't want to do.

AlliSwan

I was so worried about asking my parents about going to an art school, fashion design school, or cosmetology school that I never even brought it up. I was sure they would pass it off as "frivolous" and something I shouldn't "settle for." My dad seemed to think that all cosmetologists end up working in cheap nail places, doing pedicures for $10 each. So I'm in my third year of school and it just keeps getting worse. I have NO interest and NO motivation. I tried to broach the subject of a trade school, and my parents are ok with the idea as long as I graduate first, but I can tell my mom still isn't totally behind me. My dad knows how obsessed I am with fashion and how well I know it, but my mom just sees the negative side. It really pisses me off because she pursued her dream of cooking (never went to college) and owns a successful catering company. Her dad once said about me (in response to her wanting me to go to culinary school) "she's too smart for that." You'd think she'd see my side of it.

In sum, DO WHAT YOU WANT. If it's what you like it will be possible to get through. I am in pretty easy classes and I still can't seem to stay above water because I hate them so much.

kaliraksha

I'm all for exploring new options... you don't have to do anything traditionally... it really upset me at first because all my friends are doing the straight right out of high school 4-yr plan... but it wasn't for me... I had gotten pretty depressed in high school and needed a break... to top it off I had to pay for my own college... so I have to do my fair share of working on the side... and finally I just gave up on the traditional point of view... and I'm just taking my time doing what I want to do. If this doesn't work out for you... school will always be there... don't give up on your dreams yet.

d_flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by libra14
I have a teaching degree because of my parents. I am very much like you with the good grades, good test scores..yada yada. I even skipped the 6th grade and graduated high school at 16. My parents enrolled me in school (IU)and expected me to go. My dad is a teacher and I used to want to be one too. By senior year of college I knew I wasn't cut out for it.
I've always loved design, colors, art class was hands down my favorite classes ever. Now I have a teaching degree I'll probably never use I immediately reenrolled in school to study design. I lied to my parents (I know I know. NEVER lie to your parents!) and they think I am in graduate school for education. I still haven't told them that I will become an interior designer in 2 more years. When I mentioned it last summer my dad asked why I would "settle" for that. let me tell you, these classes are hard!
The ironic thing is that I have paid for my education.(with grants, loans, etc.) All of it. Not one dime has come from my parents. Not even graduation money for the first degree. So why can't I just tell them it's my life? I don't know. I don't know if this helps you at all. I just wanted you to know that you are not alone. I am in a very similar situation. I just wish I had the courage to change majors before I spent so much time and money on something I don't want to do.

wow, that would be totally hard for me to share with too, but even harder to hide! thanks for the advice though...i guess i just need to seek advising @ school or something.

d_flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlliSwan
In sum, DO WHAT YOU WANT. If it's what you like it will be possible to get through. I am in pretty easy classes and I still can't seem to stay above water because I hate them so much.

for sure...thanks for your response, i don't want to waste my time though either ya know, but all i hear is, "but life is so much easier with a degree..."
WELL, works the same way when it comes to cosmetology, mom

Hawkeye

Seriously the biggest mistake you can make in your life is not following your heart.

It's your life. You're parents will not have to live your life. Only YOU live your life.

serendipityii

The way I see it is, our parents had the chance to do what they wanted to do with their lives. Maybe they didn't have the same opportunities that we have now, but when we have kids, they're going to have different opportunities too... they got to make their own choices. They can't live two lives.

AlliSwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_flawless
for sure...thanks for your response, i don't want to waste my time though either ya know, but all i hear is, "but life is so much easier with a degree..."
WELL, works the same way when it comes to cosmetology, mom

This is soooo true....I am tired of people asking me what my major is--who CARES?!? Most of my valet coworkers aren't in school (we make like $20++ an hour which gives us plenty of time to find out what we want to do with our lives) and have taken to making up majors and career paths for when customers ask them just because it's easier than trying to get them to see our side. I hate that stigma attached to people who choose not to go to college. I'm only continuing because my parents do help me out a LOT financially and they're willing to pay for me going to a trade school after I graduate. Hmm...come to think of it, there is a silver lining to my boyfriend dumping me...I can pick up and leave without worrying about our relationship...hmm....sorry to digress!

My mom owns a catering company and most of the people who work for her are either lifetime service staff (and love it and are damn good at their jobs) or high school/college dropouts finding their way in the world. It pisses me off to no end when people judge them and treat them like dirt. We CHOOSE our line of work, it's not a LAST RESORT. And most of her waiters/waitresses are f-ing GENIUSES and could debate the professors they're waiting on into the ground.

amourbliss

Yea, I can somewhat see how things are going for you right now because I too am leaving school. In my situation school just isnt where I want to be in life and I have no motivation to do so...and I'm at the point where's it like do I stay here to make others feel happy or do I leave and stop wasting thousands and thousands of dollars (i go to a private school). I'e decided to stop wasting my time and money and do what makes me happy, right now I'm a nanny but my true passion is working with children with autism. And yes a degree may get me a better paying job the money doesn't matter as long as I'm doing what I'm so passionate about!! Good Luck and always do whats best for you!!

SonRisa

Actually, it used to be the opposite for me. I've always loved school - just hated homework. I got pretty depressed in college and didn't always go to class. My mom would tell me "Stop wasting my money, just drop out and go to beauty school." But I never did. Because I was the one who saw people who went to beauty school as those who just couldn't cut it in "normal school" or weren't intelligent enough. Now, I probably got that idea from the way my mom phrased it, but I fought against it, because I know if I ever really applied myself I could mostly breeze through college and then grad school. (this was before I got sick) So for her to think I wasn't good enough when I know that I'm extremely bright pissed me off. Though ever since I was younger, she did always try to use reverse psychology on me. Anyway, I fought against it. And in a way, I still fight against it. I want what I consider to be a real degree. In terms of work, if you have a bachelor's in whatever, you have a fighting chance at getting a job. If I have on my resume that I graduated from whatever beauty school most jobs - aside from makeup ones don't care. And there may not always be jobs available in makeup. I refuse to work retail for the rest of my life and it takes awhile to establish yourself as a freelance artist. Yea, there's a lot of possibilities with different companies to work as an artist. But the field is extremely competitive. I know I would not be happy settling and doing makeup for catalogues or whatever. If I'm going to make makeup my profession, I'm going to work jobs that allow me to express my creativity. I've been out of school for 5 years now. I took a semester off, moved to NY and couldn't find a job. I used to teach science and co-run a youth group. No one would even hire me as a hostess because i had no experience. They all told me to go to the school board because why would I want to be a server or hostess when I had this impressive resume - go teach! But I don't have a degree and when teaching, you pretty much need one in most situations. I moved back and it turned into 2 and then tried to go back. (I went to SF state) They told me I couldn't take more than one off - that I had to reapply. Which wasn't possible for that semester. So I was screwed for that semester as well. Then I got sick with Leukemia. Another semester gone. And then more . . . my brain was fried from the chemo. I haven't felt ready until now. So next semester I have to go to city (gag me) so I can transfer to state eventually. I want/need a real degree to fall back. And I doubt I'll ever spend my own money on beauty school. I feel like it's a complete waste. Unless you want to be an esthetician - which you need a license for, beauty school isn't necessary IMO. I learn much more working at MAC and just by teaching myself. The only thing I'd ever consider is taking a few classes at MUD in special effects makeup. Even in the industry, they want to see your work. If my portfolio is more impressive than yours and you went to beauty school and i didn't, they'll hire me. So I just don't see the point.

inlucesco

On the flip side of the coin, I didn't REALLY enjoy school until I was completely finished with my general ed and started my work in my major field (history) - so I would wait it out a bit, because really, you can always use some more knowledge, and you might just find the subject that gets your juices flowing (so to speak).

Explore all your options, but don't quit school until you're absolutely sure your other route will pan out - all the red tape is a bitch if you decide to go back. I've been where you are, and I'm pretty glad I just kept plugging away at classes because right now, I am really loving school.

We all have our existential crises so this is pretty normal. I would just be really cautious before making any major decisions there.

Chelly

whatever u do FINISH YOUR FIRST YEAR - if your already knee deep in it then just finish that shit up because if you change your mind and decide well why dont i go back to college then you'll have a year under your belt (trust me.. my boyfriend is 2 years behind me but hes 2 months older than me...and im graduating this year and heeesss pissssed at himself for dicking around.. but whatever it happens ya kn0? you'll be fine, its just life - its meant to be confusing
winks.gif
)

d_flawless

once again, thanks for the thoughts/perspective. i've decided i will def. stay @ school for at least one more year, since i've already signed my least for my apartment and i'm kinda committed, so while i'm there, i'm obviously gonna have to go to class, at least to pretend like i'm into school. things have gonna better, but it's still in the back of my mind and i'm like, well i can always just freelance, practice with friends and just have a passion for it, not necessarily apply that to a career. maybe i'm just lazy, truly just not motivated, since it is kinda hard, to leave home and be expected to succeed when that's what you're used to doing.

panties

this is someone speaking on their last semester at a university:

i agree a lot with what risa has to say because from what i've noticed when it comes to MA's, it's all about what you have done in terms of experience, not so much school...ok anyway, my mom didn't even know i was applying for school until she got a hold of my acceptance letters at various good schools...my mom didn't think i had it in me in terms of intelligence and just able to deal with the stress that college brings on, so for me to even be here is fighting against the odds with my mom. if you don't know what to do, go to a community college because that's designed to figure out what you want to do (and it's cheaper), and you can just transfer to basically any in state school without a problem. I never had the difficulty in terms of what I wanted to do in terms of a major, so that helped in a sense. I go to a school that's not known for political science and political science is laughed at as a degree because it's not something marketable or specialized like someone in chemical engineering. I've realized that it's not so much your degree anymore, but it's just a matter of how you market yourself in the real world. Just an example: If a person went to Harvard and got a degree in whatever, but can't sell themself at an interview, then how is that person going to get a job? It's all about taking what you have learned from school and just being able to present yourself in such a way that makes you stand out from other people. I had the chance to go to a school that is known for their political science, but i just didn't go there because the people there are so damn arrogant. I've managed to get the SAME internships as those arrogant people who go to the good political science school; which further proves that it's not so much where you go, but it's how you market yourself. I really hope in may i feel like i've actually accomplished something because at this point i'm just stressed out right now. =\ i hope that made sense and somewhat answered your question.

MisStarrlight

I'm also in my last semester. I was basically always a nerd...in advanced classes from 3rd grade on. In my freshman year of high school I decided that I wanted to be "a starving artists with a guarenteed paycheck" so I decided upon becoming an art teacher...graduated 5th in my class & moved 6 hours away from home to go to school & HATED it.
Well, the first year was terrible because I felt so trapped & since I was paying for it all by myself I was working constantly, but always extra poor, but the second year got better when I bought a car, took out an extra loan, got over the ex & had made a few friends...the last 2 years haven't been that great. I've gone back & forth about becoming an art teacher, but had spent too much time & money to allow myself to quit now. I stuck it out this far, to get the degree, but I wasn't planning on going through the state teaching certification processes. I just needed to get my degree, prove to everyone (& myself) that I could do it. Under pressure from the head of my department (she put my name in for the Art Educator of the Year award) I've actually decided to get certified & see what becomes of it.

I'm not going to grad school though-going to cosmetology school instead-something I've wanted to do since I was 5.

What I'm saying, I guess-if you're somewhat interested in your current program of study, wait it out a little longer, you might actually be good at it & find some form of gratification from it...and you'll always have that as a backup, but definitely go for your dreams & your heart (as well, in my case).
Best of luck!