Colour Craft Fraud

iaisha26

I visited MAC's face bookpage and saw something that I coudn't believe. In the backstage photos of the Colour Craft shoot...a Ben Nye palette.

I had a feeling that the colours from the collection weren't used on the model because they were so vibrant, but I thought maybe they used chormacakes or paint sticks to create the pormo looks.

I know that companies use products from other compaines all the time in their ads, but when you're a cosmetic company advertising cosmetics, shouldn't you use your products?

Colour Craft is may favorite MAC collection to date, from an editorial stand point. The colors are beautiful and the model is stunning.

What's your thoughts?

**Sorry if this is posted in the incorrect forum.

cazgh

I had been umming and ahhing about buying the palette but seeing it on the MAC backstage promo thingy convinced me to go and get it
smiles.gif
It is a ridiculous price in the UK - it was actually cheaper for me to buy it from Bubba Sikes in the US but I finally went for a UK shop so that I could have it the next day...

I think its very brave of MAC to admit to using someone else's products in such a promotional tool.

TISH1124

Yeah this topic was posted with pictures and discussed in the Colour Craft discussion thread over a week ago ...that they used Ben Nye for the Promo pictures....

MissCrystal

There promo pics for the collection they should use the actual products that are going to be in the collection, not throw people off. After this it makes me think how many times Mac has done this. When i saw the promo pics like 6 or 7 months ago i thought the colors where so nice and vibrant and then when i saw the actual product pics it was a huge let down. Maybe im making a to big of a deal of it lol. But none the less a huge let down on mac's part.

nichollecaren

well, no matter what products are used, promo pics are enhanced...i.e. photoshopped! Levels are tweaked, imperfections are cloned out and mistakes are cleaned up! And not just makeup anything!!

gildedangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichollecaren
well, no matter what products are used, promo pics are enhanced...i.e. photoshopped! Levels are tweaked, imperfections are cloned out and mistakes are cleaned up! And not just makeup anything!!

Absolutely! I have yet to find a MAC product that makes my face look poreless after all. All of the promo pictures are half-faked with photoshop anyway, so I see no problem with MAC using a product from another company. Besides, MAC doesn't have a product that is anything like the Ben Nye palette.

Boasorte

this was already discussed, use the search engine people. Ben Nye is stage makeup and besides the colours being crazy pigmented that's prolly why they used it

LMD84

at first i was shocked that they let those pictures leak out but now i'm not so bothered. i think alot of companies mix and match like that.

Ruby_Woo

This is not uncommon for other cosmetic brands to do as well. I worked for Lancome, and trust that alot of the stuff in the add weren't our actual products. For example, Lancome doesn't sell false lashes, in their Mascara ads, the models are definetly using falsies and not the mascara alone. It happens quite a lot.
Like Tish said, its been discussed before. Also depending on what artist does the work, they choose what to use as well. We've had Kabuki do stuff for our promos, they do use MAC but Im sure they use their own kit too to deliver results.

celestia

Using a range of products to create one look shouldn't phase anyone. If there are no credits to BN, then yea i'd be a little worried.

BN still does not compare to MAC in terms of range and audience. A photo with another company brand in the background would just serve to me as some reminder that they acknowledge other brands... as all MUAs should. I would not trust any MUA who tells me everything I want is available from one brand... not in this day and age D:

I guess it doesn't phase me so much, but if MAC were going this route- they should get rid of MAC prep & prime and shove UDPP or TSFI in the background too XD

user79

I thought the promo shots were horrible - actually, most of MAC's recent promo shots have been awful. I've seen better makeup from amateurs online. This latest BN fraud is just another proof that MAC is going downhill - and not just slightly, but a nosedive.

nichollecaren

I disagree with this, technology has allowed us to see more and therefore expect more. Now things are in HD and promos are distributed electronically, therefore we are better able to scrutinize.

In my time working as a model talking to more seasoned people in the industry, the first thing I was taught was that from 5-500 dollars, the cosmetic will get the job done if you know what you are doing! I remember talking to an artist who did maybelline promos, who said she used black opal on the models...its idealistic to think that the products used in photo shoots will be exclusive to the company that is using the shot in their ads. Its like expecting that Michael Jordan ONLY drinks Gatorade!

As a graphic artist, I have done plenty work for cosmetic companies, and I can tell you, half of them have no clue what makeup or hair products the models used, because they had no input in the photoshoots-their only interest is that she looks pretty and works with the theme. Its just marketing, people. Its unfortunate that the palette was photographed, because really it should have been anticpated that people would have raised eyebrows...but its no reason to say MAC is no longer delivering a high quality product.

NernersHuman

Half the time when you see a model or celeb on the cover of a magazine and they credit certain products or they say "to recreate so-and-so's look use these" most of the time those products weren't even the ones used on the cover subject. Doesn't mean those products being promoted are inferior,it just means the MUA used what they preferred to create the cover look and the magazine was giving the plug to dupes that help pay their advertising income. MAC doesn't have as big an advertising budget as say, Lancome or Cover Girl, so the MUA may have actually used MAC, but the company with more advertising dollars will get the actual nod.

I remember reading the book "Model" way back and there was a part where the author was covering a Cindy Crawford photo shoot. Cindy was under contract with Revlon at the time and the author noted that even though the MUA was technically supposed to used only Revlon on Cindy, she used a Chanel lipgloss on her.

So I don't know where I was going with this, but I certainly don't think its a sign MAC is going downhill. I think this is something done by most if not all cosmetic lines at one time or another.

iaisha26

Agreed...Mac pretty much operates from word of mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NernersHuman
Half the time when you see a model or celeb on the cover of a magazine and they credit certain products or they say "to recreate so-and-so's look use these" most of the time those products weren't even the ones used on the cover subject. Doesn't mean those products being promoted are inferior,it just means the MUA used what they preferred to create the cover look and the magazine was giving the plug to dupes that help pay their advertising income. MAC doesn't have as big an advertising budget as say, Lancome or Cover Girl, so the MUA may have actually used MAC, but the company with more advertising dollars will get the actual nod.

I remember reading the book "Model" way back and there was a part where the author was covering a Cindy Crawford photo shoot. Cindy was under contract with Revlon at the time and the author noted that even though the MUA was technically supposed to used only Revlon on Cindy, she used a Chanel lipgloss on her.

So I don't know where I was going with this, but I certainly don't think its a sign MAC is going downhill. I think this is something done by most if not all cosmetic lines at one time or another.

iaisha26

All in all, I love the pictures I believe the model is stunning! Thanks for sharing you guys!!!!

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichollecaren
I disagree with this, technology has allowed us to see more and therefore expect more. Now things are in HD and promos are distributed electronically, therefore we are better able to scrutinize.

In my time working as a model talking to more seasoned people in the industry, the first thing I was taught was that from 5-500 dollars, the cosmetic will get the job done if you know what you are doing! I remember talking to an artist who did maybelline promos, who said she used black opal on the models...its idealistic to think that the products used in photo shoots will be exclusive to the company that is using the shot in their ads. Its like expecting that Michael Jordan ONLY drinks Gatorade!

As a graphic artist, I have done plenty work for cosmetic companies, and I can tell you, half of them have no clue what makeup or hair products the models used, because they had no input in the photoshoots-their only interest is that she looks pretty and works with the theme. Its just marketing, people. Its unfortunate that the palette was photographed, because really it should have been anticpated that people would have raised eyebrows...but its no reason to say MAC is no longer delivering a high quality product.

I disagree. Obviously the MUA realized he was not able to achieve the same look and strong colors using the actual CC collection by mac so s/he had to use another (cheaper but better pigmented) product. I realize this prob happens often on photoshoots but it also proves that mac is sometimes not pigmented enough to actually replicate mac looks - to me this speaks volumes about the decline of the overall line, and seeing the CC in person confirms that. Mac is no longer a pro line, their products are often un-usable in photoshoot situations, and the CC collection quality was crap tbh. No pigmentation to speak of. Especially on facecharts that are put on the mac website, I'm sure they subbed in mac colors for this look, but it's pathetic when the actual picture was not made with mac products.

And yeah, the promo shoot makeups for their recent collections - pitiful. Compare mac's promo shoots with the promo shoots from a new and less known line Illamasqua for example, or from MUFE or Nars. I mean, honestly - I can't even take their photoshoots seriously anymore. Like I've said I've seen better artistic makeup from amateurs in beauty forums such as this one or elsewhere.

I have a love/hate relationship with mac - adore some of their products but absolutely hate their recent collections, the lacking quality, the gimmicky packaging and media hype surrounding the brand, and the utter loyalty that many people have to the brand even though the quality is just not there anymore.