Confused at MAC Counter!

Millason

I had a weird experience today, and I knew that you all would be able to explain it to me.

First off, I want to say that I've used MAC for 10 years. One of my really good friends was the manager at a MAC store, and I used to do everything (makeovers, events, etc) through her. She's since left, and I've moved to another city.

Last week I was at a MAC counter buying the N Collection, and the MA told me that there was going to be a training clinic at the counter in March. She wrote it on a business card so I'd have the info, and she stuck it in the bag.

Then, the next day, I went to another MAC counter at the same department store chain (just a different location from the day before), and the MA told me that they were having a Fafi event next month with Regional Artists and Body Painting. I made an appointment for the event, and he recorded it in the book. This is exactly how I've booked every single MAC event I've ever gone to when my friend worked at the MAC store. (And this is, by the way, the first event I've booked since my friend left.)

Then, today I went back to the first counter I'd gone to. A different MA was there, and I mentioned the training clinic. She asked if I wanted to book an appointment, and I said yes. At that time 4 other MAs showed up for their shift, and I, well... I began to eavesdrop on what they were saying. The MA that was working with me said that she needed my personal information so she asked for my Driver's License and credit card and told me that I needed to fill out a form. I gave them to her because I was so focused on what the other MAs were saying.

Once I had booked the appointment, she handed everything back to me, and said, "I've got your gift card. We'll keep it on file for the day of the event, and here's your receipt." I looked at the receipt and she had charged me $50 and put it on the gift card. I was, and still am, really confused about why she did this, but I didn't want to look stupid in front of her so I didn't say anything. When the other MA had told me about the clinic last week, she didn't explain anything about it to me. She just said that they were having one.
th_confused_new.gif

So what did I sign up for exactly and why did she charge me $50?

Thanks!

te.amo.mac

What you signed up for was either a preview event, which in order to attend requires that you purchase a GC so that your spot is held(this is why she kept your GC on file and didnt give it to take and spend). The day of the event you will get it back and can redeem it in full for MAC product. More than likely the events that you are used to going are hte free events open to all the public, but these events you have to in a way "register and pay". hope that helps

Millason

This helps! I just wanted to make sure that I was going to get my $50 back in product, and not have to pay $50 just to go and then another $200 (or however much they talk me into spending) on makeup the day of the event.

Janice

They will hold the GC for you until the day of the event and then use it towards the products you purchase.

lara

Think of it as a redeemable booking fee - more and more make-up stores now take some form of pre-paid GC or store credit when booking now as insurance that people will actually show up to a booked event; otherwise people will formally book in without needing to pre-pay, assure us they'll be there, excitedly tell us they'll be there when we ring to confirm and then... not show up. It makes running events extremely hard and ruins it for the people who do show up (warps the catering numbers, too many staff, throws out the event schedule, etc etc etc).

Some stores do it, some stores don't. It all depends on their previous event experiences and the regional AM.
smiles.gif

amoona

I WISH we were able to do that at our location. I know a lot of MAC stores are doing that now and Nordstrom's locations will do that as well. (At least in our region) At least you know you're not being screwed around with, it's just their way of ensuring that you make that min. purchase required.

erine1881

its probably a technique event that you made an appt. for. those require a $50 deposit that is redeemable in product the day of the event. a trainer comes to the counter and demos a specific look on a model (usually one the customers that paid for the event). you get some print materials that gives tips and tricks for certain makeup looks. its usually a 2 hr event.

the other event you signed up for at the 2nd location is just the complimentary eyes, lips, cheeks that use the new colors. this is probably what you are used to going to. hth!

astronaut

Let's say something came up and you weren't able to make it to the event are whatever, there's still a way for you to get the gift card back... yes?

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut
Let's say something came up and you weren't able to make it to the event are whatever, there's still a way for you to get the gift card back... yes?

nope. gift cards can't be returned. you can have someone else go in your place, but you can't get your money back. you can go later to pick up the gift card and use it at a later date, but the money stays on the gift card. you still get to use the money on the card, you just end up missing the event.

BunnyBunnyBunny

I think Shimmer explained it perfectly.

In a sense, it's like you're paying for the training/event by buying 50 dollars worth of product.

MellyMac

There is a $50.00 reservation fee to make an appointment for an event. These fees are redeemable in product which is why you were charged but have a giftcard to redeem on the day of the event. Keep in mind that locations can vary from market to market or store to store depending on their partnered locations policies. Don't be frustrated, just take your concern to that retail manager so that the communication breakdown can be remedied. HAve fun at your event!

BlahWah

To add a bit to what everyone else has said, my nearest counter's having a Fafi seminar but only 10 spots for each time slot (there are 2). The $50 ensures the people signing up are serious about it and aren't absent for the seminar that many others may have wanted to attend, especially since they'll be doing demos with trainers showing how to create looks for spring. There will also be a makeover for the one I'm attending. Can't wait! =D

Millason

I just remembered something else that was weird about the whole incident. It's a two day event- March 28th and the 29th. She just asked me what day I wanted to go. No specific time or anything, and I don't have a time written down on any of my stuff.

BlahWah

That's strange, b/c for a makeover they'd write things down on an appointment card. Well, they wrote my info down in the card which held the gift card... I dont' know if your gc came in separate packaging, but perhaps they did the same for you?

Millason

They didn't give me my gift card. They said that they were going to keep it on file, and I saw her put it in a box.