Confusing placement question

LoopyLoo

Sometimes people recommend to me a darker colour on the lid and then a lighter one in the crease, esp with bright colours.
I know makeup is universal and you can do anything with it, but it's difficult for me to turn the idea of darker in the crease, lighter on the lid upside down.

So, in terms of optical illusions I guess my question is, what is the overall effect of lighter in the crease? Does this make the eye look smaller, or shorter, or is it supposed to give the illusion of something? What's the benefit of this way around (and how should it effect placement or type of other colour on the face, for a balanced look?), can anyone help?

Thanks guys!
th_wink3.gif

dulcekitty

This is the traditional placement for smokey eyes. If your lid color is pretty dark, you'll get a smokey effect by blending out lighter towards the crease. If your colors are fairly light, it looks more natural having the deeper color towards the lashline. Darker in the crease gives a more contoured look, darker near the lashline is a softer look. I find this method works well with mono-lidded eyes especially. I'm not fond of the look on deeper set eyes...

Boasorte

Well I always go with medium-dark on the crease unless it's a smokey eye. TO some the opposite may work, but you will have to try it out yourself. For me, it makes me look crazy since my eyes are pretty small and chinky