Cooking for Christmas...

Kayteuk

I am really wracking my brain with what to cook...

I was thinking of:

Roast chicken with stuffing
Leeks
Roast Potatoes
Carrots
Roast Parsnips
Sausages wrapped in Bacon
Asparagus
Boiled Leeks
Gravy and Stuffing

What is everyone else cooking and how do you cook it?
smiles.gif
Never cooked for Christmas before so I am really nervous. But very very excited! I am going to pick up some new Pots and Pans to cook it all in.

TISH1124

Thats that thing where you heat up the top and inside of the oven right?? Sorry only heard of it in conversation
lol.gif

My Mom does all the Holiday cooking...Thank goodness!! I rarely have to do it...Maybe 2-3 times in the past 15 years

No but really that sound like a great meal plan .. Pumpkin pie is always a dessert fav for the Winter Holidays

Kayteuk

I have started to really enjoy cooking and I am doing a few evening classes next year in Cookery :). I have a question for US/Virginia residents.
Where ....Do i get...Parsnips?!

I went to walmart and farm fresh and no where sells them! I was looking to see if you guys had any home delivery companies in the US that deliver fresh fruit and veg...And no where sells them :-(

Roast parsnip is a Christmas tradition and I want to keep it up when I go there this Christmas.

Shenanigans

A traditional Christmas (eve) dinner at my house includes:

Roast turkey with stuffing
Gravy
Mashed potatoes
Glazed carrots (brown sugar, butter, spices)
Brussell sprouts (butter, salt)
Cranberry sauce
Pickles (sweet cukes, dill cukes and onions)
Pumpkin Pie and whipped cream
Wine =)

Christmas day brunch is:

Scrambled eggs
Cubed potato hash browns (parsley, garlic, basil)
Fruit salad (heavy on the pineapple and strawberries)
Mini quiches
Bacon and sausage
Coffee with Bailey's and whipped cream

Then we eat leftovers for Christmas day dinner. =)

knoxydoll

My grandma does all the cooking.
We always have:
- One giant turkey (there is 15 of us after all)
- Mashed potatoes
- Carrots
- Mashed turnip
- Peas
- Fresh bread (made by my aunt)
- Real Turkey gravy made from the drippings
- Stuffing from scratch
- Apple Pie
- Mincemeat pie
- Rice pudding
- Ice cream

That's also pretty much what we have (minus the pies and pudding) on Thanksgiving.

DominicanBarbie

Well since I'm living away from home ( I'm a Marine wife stuck far from home in no whereville away from my family) I have no choice but to cook Christmas dinner for my husband and my 2 girls.Which sucks because I like big huge family dinners that I don't cook haha.

My husband is American (German) and I am Dominican so its very hard coming up with dinner . He wants Turkey, ham, mashed potato with gravy stuffing ...like it's Thanksgiving..the remix... and then like typical desserts.

ME not so much in my family we eat... PERNIL ( roasted pork I think)
Pollo asado o al horno (roast chicken or chicken cooked in oven)
arroz con guandules ( rice with guandules haha I don't know how to say it in English ) we have different types of salad (which I don't eat so I wont make) and we have Pan Telera which is a bread followed by fruits and desserts. I know im missing some things but I cant remember right now.

Also to make things harder n the Dominican tradition we eat on Noche Buena/ Christmas Eve my husband eats on Christmas day sooooo.... Im still working on what heck im going to be doing.

clslvr6spd

I am going to my better half's grandparents house on Christmas Eve for cioppino!!! YUMMYY!!
drools.gif
I am usually elbow deep in red sauce, haha.

Then Christmas day will be with my family & I will be cooking a prime rib and the rest of the family will bring the sides!

s0_fam0us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayteuk
I have started to really enjoy cooking and I am doing a few evening classes next year in Cookery :). I have a question for US/Virginia residents.
Where ....Do i get...Parsnips?!

I went to walmart and farm fresh and no where sells them! I was looking to see if you guys had any home delivery companies in the US that deliver fresh fruit and veg...And no where sells them :-(

Roast parsnip is a Christmas tradition and I want to keep it up when I go there this Christmas.

Did you try Whole Foods? I've never actually looked in the Whole Foods stores for parsnips, but I know they usually have a lot of things that you can't find in normal grocery stores. You could always call them and ask before you make the trip! Whole Foods Market: Natural and Organic Grocery There's a bunch in VA.

Hope you find them!

Kayteuk

Awww man! Nearest Wholefoods is 100 miles away :-( Darn it.... I guess I will have to send the bff on a quest!

Kayteuk

LOL i cant believe I'm talking about Parsnips! Well its just I am cooking for my sister who's flying over with me, as mentioned a million times, shes severely autistic and has a select taste.

Rice, chicken, sausages, apples, grapes, all vegetables but she loves PARSNIPS! LOL!

I went to our local grocery and they had 3 left in the ENTIRE store! And I am cooking for 8 people this Christmas. I think I shall go in and investigate daily from when I arrive!

MissAlly

We basically have the same food as Thanksgiving,but there's a lot of sweeets;like,fudge,peanutbutter balls,etc..

Simply Elegant

On Christmas Eve we usually have lobster, shrimp, escargots, garlic bread, cheese and crackers and chocolate fondue and on Christmas we have turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, peas, homemade bread and icecream.

-moonflower-

It's interesting to see how everyone's Christmas dinner differs.
We have(there's usually 6 of us):
Dad makes breakfast, usually prawn cocktails and bubbly, but I think it's lobster this year cause he got some cheap
smiles.gif

Around 6pm we have:
Turkey (small one)
Goose (small one)
Honey glazed ham
Brussel sprouts
Carrots in creamy sauce
Gravy
Stuffing
Cranberry sauce
Roast potatoes
Mashed potatoes
Possibly some other vegetables.

Then comes the christmas crackers and the bad joke telling, myself and my siblings trying to entertain my grandmother while my parents clear the table and get dessert ready.

Dessert is:
Sherry trifle
Porter cake
Plum pudding, set alight
Brandy butter and lots of booze-flavoured creams

Then St Stephans day (day after christmas) is the leftovers, with baked beans added. The leftover mash is usually used to make potato cakes and some of us (ie, me) stick everything in a sandwich.
smiles.gif

The leftovers usually go on for days... Especially the ham cause we get a big one.

xsnowwhite

we always have ham with twice baked potatoes and on christmas eve. Then on christmas morning my mom makes a reealyyy good casserole with sausage, eggs, chese, and bread. its delish.

Kayteuk

You guys are feeding me so full of ideas! I think I may just get up at 6am and cook everything you guys suggested...But I may have leftovers until 2009!!

nursee81

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicanBarbie
Well since I'm living away from home (

ME not so much in my family we eat... PERNIL ( roasted pork I think)
Pollo asado o al horno (roast chicken or chicken cooked in oven)
arroz con guandules ( rice with guandules haha I don't know how to say it in

they are called pigeon peas. I am so use to eating on noche buena but my hubby is jamaican so they do it on christmas day.

Mabelle

we're having
prime rib roast beef
gravey
mash potatoes
carrots
cresent rolls
peas
ceasar salade

and for dsert a mix of little goodies; shortbreads, cranberry stuff, cut outs, rumballs, peanut butter sqaures, magic bars
andddd
chocolate molten cake! YUM!!!

Latest posts