cosmetics at dillards

KatieJayne

ok, so apparently MAC isn't hiring near me, and they kinda gave me the runaround, but thats ok cuz i still love and am addicted. but truth is i do need a job and if i get a job a cosmetics job at dillards at least i'll be one of the first to know when they do need people (plus i'll be closer to them to spend all my money
rofl.gif
) So, what counters should i go for... Only thing i know is that my friend who works at the origins in dillards told me that for my sake i shouldn't work there, she said her counter is usually dead and she barely makes her sales goal.

circusflavouredgum

I worked for them in Las Vegas. It seemed like only the big 3 gift lines (Lauder, Clinique and Lancome) did well there. The other counters were dead and very hard to make goal at.

Also Dillard's doesn't pay commission and if you don't make goal repeatedly, they will give you the option of quitting or they will start lowering your hourly pay so you can make goal.

I say try and find a job at another department store. My store had wonderful staff and cosmetic manager but the company itself seems geared against the employees in a big way.

circusflavouredgum

Yeah! I worked in fragrance and it was really busy so I didn't have to worry but I knew two people who worked in the men's clothing that had to have their pay lowered
th_remoteImage-61.gif

DaizyDeath

yeah i heard alot of talk at nordstroms about how bad they treat their emplyees at dillards... i havnt heard anything from the dillards people themselfs except here. But that is seriously horrible if they lower their pay for not reaching sales goals.

It doesnt matter how good of a sales person you are if your not having a good flow of people comming through to you its hard to sell anything.

I know dillards is alot less serious about their dress code then nordstroms though and they also will let you wear more wild makeup at dillards not so much at nordstroms.

missmarkers

i know that this is an old thread but dillards really is a horrible place to work. i worked for a really good cosmetics line and they really do treat their employees like dirt.

you also have sales per hour goals but a lot of that time, you are also waiting around to close the store, and other dept mgrs make you stock or do markdowns in other departments and you are still on the clock as trying to meet your sales goals even though you aren't really on on the sales floor, well, you're sitting on it, tagging jewelry.

and as far as pay going down, it's true. if you don't meet your SPH when you are reviewed, they dock your pay 10% and lower your SPH. so even if you reach it next time, you get a 10% raise, you still aren't making what you were when you started.

it's seriously the worst company to work for. if you search online, you'll read a LOT of stuff about former employees ranting about mgmt, so apparently my dillards wasn't the only one.