Couture going Perm?!?!?

OnaFyre

I heard a rumor at my store that Couture is a test run for a higher end line to compete with Chanel or Armani.

Did anyone else hear this rumor? I'm very much torn about the idea of a more expensive version of MAC in the world. Yay for those that can afford it, balls to those who cant...

And I just wasn't that jazzed about Couture, even if I did buy all of the glosses, all of the highlighters, Red no. 5 (hard for this NW45 to pull off but we can talk about that later), and one of the mystery powders... Point being, if this is what a higher end version of MAC would be like, then I'm tempted to pass. Couture appeals to the MAC collector in me, but I can's see spending lots of money on this stuff on a regular basis.

Any thoughts?

Side note, how are people liking and using the richmetal highlighters?

kimmy

i'm not down for MAC charging more for "packaging"...to make a lipstick it probably costs them 2 or 3 dollars, and then they charge the consumer 14. that's fine. but don't try to charge an additional 7 dollars and say it's for packaging
th_remoteImage-61.gif

Estee Lauder can compete with Chanel and Armani, they don't need to make some kind of "higher end" MAC. Estee owns MAC, so i don't see why MAC needs a "higher end" line...:confused:

Padmita

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE ANTHEM
but don't try to charge an additional 7 dollars and say it's for packaging
th_remoteImage-61.gif

ITA - and the packaging really isn't worth the money IMHO, it feels kinda cheap, sharp-edged and very plasticky (esp. the glosses), and it doesn't look very elegant (rather the contrary)... I wouldn't ever spend more money for this packaging, and I'd totally stick with MAC's regular line!

Tash

Wow. I doubt that they'd make any money off of it and that most people wouldn't buy it. MAC is expensive as it is (but definitely worth the money), so I highly doubt people would pay more for it.

DaizyDeath

I would stop buying MAC if they became as expensive at chanel, dior etc. I think its completely redicilious to spend 25$ on a lipstick lipgloss. And mac's packageing is fine the way it is.

2-4 $ is much more then they pay for the packageing think around 15-25 cents.

Ive started to branch out to other more expensive brands like smashbox,and Nars for certain things but only very select things ill always go back to mac as long as they stay reasonable in price and good in quality.

MAC_Whore

When you think of all the losses they take (and can afford to take) with the massive amount of gratis they dish out to employees, the massive amount of goodies they dole out to industry folks, selling things at 40% off to Pro Members, you realize that what it costs them to make an item of makeup is miniscule. So the mark up to $14 is more than enough profit.

As Anthem said, they will mark it up a certain amount and that's fine. But IMO using gimmicky packaging to try and rake in additional profits is shitty and deceitful and most customers won't tolerate it.

On the question of Couture being permanent, I was wondering about the Mystery Powders......If MACouture is an LE line, why are those refillable??

prinzessin784

I would like it actually! I wouldn't use it for my regular line of makeup for for the rare treat I'd like it - just like what I do with Dior or Chanel makeup now. Every once in a while I'll treat myself to something a little fancy!

MAC_Pixie04

where can i see this stuff? i haven't had time to go to any stores, and it's not online. i know i'm not buying any of it but i'm curious as to what all the fuss is over.

bebs

I havent heard of this, though I was at nordstrom' today and the ma that was helping me was saying, counture is a freestanding store line only, wont have them at any of the counters. and online well they dont have the triangle of death yet, so maybe they are testing the line out?

cno64

I agree with those who think that MAC is "high-end" enough already.
As the expression goes, "If it's not broke[n], don't fix it!"
I say, Leave MAC the way it is!
As for "Couture," I ordered "Red No.5" and "House of Style," and that's it for me.
I'm looking forward to "Danse," though!

MACActress

Well I wouldn't be opposed to them releasing a permanent line, because they wouldn't be making all of MAC couture and highly priced, just making a few new items. Plus if I really liked them it would give me lots of time to save up the cash to buy it =)

lvgz

yeah im not a big fan of couture either. i love high end lines, but i go to mac because its accessible. i cant buy dior every time i go to the mall, you know? some things are nice high ended, but mac's quality and reasonable prices are fine the way they are. i dont see in having them compete with chanel or nars or any other line when mac is THIS successful. nars counters and chanel counters are never as full as mac's are, or from what ive seen the years ive been going there weekly. mac is accessible [in prices and variety] to teens, young adults, and even older people. no one wants to spend 22 bucks everytime they buy lipstick; my collection would be half the size if i had to spend that much. geez.

and the packaging? adding almost 10 bucks to lipstick price becuase of the "elaborate packaging and presentation" is ridiculous. macs original packaging is simple and nice, and damn its not like im gonna show off my lipstick packaging to others anyways! who uses it and sees it besides me most of the time? ...

i am purchasing one or two items from couture, but a whole high end line for make-up like it... ridiculous...

cinnamongurlee

i can't wait for the couture items. i think it will be nice ot have different formulations and different packaging which is luxurious. i love YSL, Armani, Guerlain and Chanel. it would be nice to have MAC step into this bracket

ShadowyLady

I think MAC Couture will be a yearly collection, perhaps seasonal...the same concept as the Icon series.

I don't forsee them doing higher-end items permanently. It doesn't seem like they need to, as they already undersell the competition by being more affordable. I used to be a NARS and Chanel devotee, but then I realized I could buy nearly three times as much MAC as any of those brands! For me, the quality is just as good; some items perform even better. I also love that MAC sells empty palettes and artist supplies; I enjoy buying from a company that makes everything I could possibly need.

Back to the topic at hand! Couture seems tailored towards collectors. I think there's a reluctance on MAC's part to outright say it's for collecting, because the average (Specktra members not withstanding) consumer does not "collect" makeup.

So they say it's "specially formulated" but they don't say how specifically, and they put it in interesting packaging. I think the closest parallel to describe what they're doing would be limited-edition Barbie dolls. They're basically the same thing you can buy anytime and play with, but these are dressed up and aren't necessarily meant to be played with!
smiles.gif

SARAHluvsMAC

fyi, the ingredients and products themselves are higher quality than the regular line...its not just the packaging

bellaetoile

i personally see no problem with making the MAC couture line permanent. i saw it at my freestanding store today, and was actually impressed. i had no plans to buy any of it, from the looks and reviews online, but upon actually seeing it in person, and playing around with it a bit, i decided i really want some of the items. the large powders (the refillable ones) are gorgeous, as are the little square shimmer creams (i don't remember product names). i'd love to be able to slowly buy one piece at a time, over a few months, and if it was a permanent line, i would be able to do that.

i don't see the harm in making it permanent. if you like it, then it makes things easier for you. if you dislike it, you can continue to ignore it, but allow the customers who do like it to keep buying it. as long as there is a market, what's the harm? no one has EVER said anything about the entire MAC line becoming this expensive and luxurious, but having a few luxury items might even bring in more customers. chanel and dior are more expensive than MAC, and for the most part, the quality is nowhere near as good. if MAC can keep up the great quality, than they by all means should be allowed to keep the couture line.

MAC_Whore

The more I think about it....I was thinking that it probably would become a yearly launch as well. Why else would you make the compacts refillable? Just like a clothing couture collection launched every season, there will be a couture collection every year. They are obviously trying to tie in the same theme.

The ingredients may be of higher quality, but IMO it really isn't that much of a bonus if you know what you are doing with the product in the first place.

We are a rarified few who are MAC uber-fanatics. So I go back to my opinion that the average customer may not embrace the idea of fancier packaging and the use of a pigment that is x times better than the pigment in the regular line.

I guess overall I don't mind if Couture becomes a permanent fixture as a yearly collection. I just don't want it to cheapen or lessen the regular line if they choose to make Couture a permanent line. And hey bottom line, I guess I just don't have to buy it if I don't like it.
smiles.gif

Tash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebs
and online well they dont have the triangle of death yet, so maybe they are testing the line out?

I just looked and they actually do now.

Latest posts