Cult Classics!

Septemba

I thought it would be interesting to have a thread about cult classic makeup. I know some of it can be so overrated but I've jumped on the bandwagon a few times and have either found a HG or been introduced to an awesome label.
th_DANCE.gif

So what are some cult classics that spring to mind for you? Like Orgasm, Black Honey, etc.? What do you think deserves cult classic status?

Simply Elegant

MUFE for their foundations. I've tried other cult classics but they're just not nearly as good as the hype makes them out to be.

Mabelle

for me, i would say; orgasm blush (it's the absolute perfect shade for me), Urban Decay Primer Potion (I dont leave home without it!) and Petticoat MSF (with orgasm, it's to die for.)

leenybeeny

I will be watching this thread closely! There have been so many cult classics I have seen posted about and just never tried. I still want to try Orgasm and UDPP.

When I first started using Studo Fix, everyone and their sister/aunt/mother/friend etc used to use it... but I think it is definitely losing it's status as the must have foundation.

The last couple times I bought it, the formula felt different to me, and a couple of friends have said the same thing to me. Anyone know if it has changed in recent years?

Septemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by leenybeeny
I will be watching this thread closely! There have been so many cult classics I have seen posted about and just never tried. I still want to try Orgasm and UDPP.

Meee toooo. I still haven't tried Orgasm, I feel like such a n00b.
th_LMAO.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Elegant
MUFE for their foundations. I've tried other cult classics but they're just not nearly as good as the hype makes them out to be.

I am dying to try MUFE HD, it's really hard to get here but I can't wait!!
drools.gif

rt66chix

My personal cult faves:

Shu Uemura eyelash curler
Ruby Woo lipstick
Kitten shadow from Stila

I'm sure I'll think of more later today, and Orgasm was already noted.

rt66chix

oh yeah, Septemba already mentioned Black Honey from Clinique, which has a lot of memories of growing up for me
smiles.gif

photogeek

I think that thanks to media/advertising and the internet in general (ads, promos, online stores, blogs, etc.) it's getting harder to tell what is just a super-hyped item versus what would have loyal followers without everyone being told how popular it is all the time. Do you know what I mean?
Also, a lot of the super-popular promoted items started with their cult following and got picked up by lots of magazines or put in lots of promotional things until either they just stayed big or people started getting a little sick of them for all the hype.
Was having trouble figuring out the difference between popular and 'cult' so looked it up like the dork I am:
Cult followings are often dedicated enough that many people of similar interest are familiar with one another due to convention gatherings, message boards, Internet chat rooms, word of mouth, or shops featuring related items.
These dedicated followings are usually relatively small and pertain to items that don't have broad mainstream appeal.
Sorry to start writing an essay here, lol, sometimes I think too far into things and bore everybody
th_yawn.gif
... so on to my list:
(Feel free to agree/disagree, some are smaller scale than others and some are repeats..am just going to throw things out there because I'm avoiding cleaning the house..shh!)
  • Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask
  • Nars Orgasm blush ('duh' I know)
  • Nars Dolce Vita l/s
  • Shu eyelash curler
  • OPI 'I'm not really a waitress'
  • Essie 'Ballet Slippers'
  • MUFE Foundations (F&B has had a rep for a long time)
  • FF Glossing Creme
  • Clinique Black Honey l/s
  • Stila Kitten (but they've way over-promoted it imo.)
  • Stila Convertible Colors
  • Duo Adhesive
  • MAC 187 Brush
  • MUFE #92 e/s (just a thought, it's getting there imo)
okay, I ran out and have to suck it up an clean house like a good girl
yes.gif

am curious to read other people's lists too! sorry for the looong post.
meg

Ernie

How about the original Chanel nail polish in "Vamp". Actually it was first called "Rouge Noir" (Red/Black) which makes perfect sense.

vocaltest

Another one... I think its Maybelline... the mascara with the green lid and pink body, thats always apparently very popular. I hate the stuff.

Lizzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocaltest
Another one... I think its Maybelline... the mascara with the green lid and pink body, thats always apparently very popular. I hate the stuff.

I totally agree!
I would call it a cult classic even though I HATE it.
It's called Great Lash. Why do I know its name even though I haven't touched the stuff since 6th grade? It's a cult classic. Why is it a cult classic? That I couldn't tell you.

vocaltest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie
I totally agree!
It's called Great Lash. Why do I know its name even though I haven't touched the stuff since 6th grade? It's a cult classic. Why is it a cult classic? That I couldn't tell you.

Ugh god its horrific stuff! Flake, smudge, ughhhh!

rachybloom

NARS Orgasm (although I prefer Deep Throat
smiles.gif
but Orgasm is nice too.)
MUFE Face Products (HD foundation, powder, concealer.. love it all and haven't met somebody who doesn't!)
Bumble and Bumble Hair Products (just got the new Spray De Mode Hairspray and it's worth the hype)
The 187 and 182 Brush
YSL Faux Effet Cils
Benefit High Beam
Benefit BeneTint/Posey Tint
OPI Lincoln Park After Dark (perfect vampy nails, so hot)

The stuff I think is way overrated..
YSL Touche Eclat (overpriced and doesn't do a damn thing)
The other Orgasm products (the lipgloss is pretty but it feels nasty on the lips, the nailpolish makes my skin look horrid, the only other thing I like is The Multiple, but not enough to buy it)
Great Lash (uhhhh totally agree on it being horrible and I don't even know why magazine editors recommend it at all.)

yodagirl

Quote:
I totally agree!

Ugh...I always ended up with racoon eyes when I used this...yuck!
throwup.gif

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
I totally agree!

Because it's cheap. Also Smashbox Photofinish Primer. I've never tried it and people love it or hate it, but it gets a lot of love.

cetati

Smashbox primer
UDPP
Orgasm
Petticoat
Shimmer Bricks (maybe? HG for me)
MUFE HD foundation and powder

meaghanb2926

Diorshow mascara
Benefit benetint
Smashbox primer
Orgasm Blush
Bobbi Brown Gel Eyeliners
Benefit Hoola
MAC Dollymix blush
MAC Painterly paint pot
Shu eyelash curler
MAC C-Thru Lipglass
MAC Angel Lipstick
NARS Turkish Delight
MAC Carbon Eyeshadow
MAC 187 Brush
Clarins Self Tanner
YSL Touche Eclat

Septemba

Awesome guys! Oh - LM TM - Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer! I'm yet to try it but it gets heaps of raves as we all know.

Latest posts