Curious to your thoughts of using too much e/s

moopoint

Agreed. Completely. I like the color of my e/s so why change it by layering 3 other colors on top? I use maybe 3 or 4 (besides primer) and love the results. No need to overcomplicate things. Really.
Eyeshadow isn't play-doh that you keep mixing till you find the desired color. I buy my shades based on my love for them. I would not want to tarnish them by overpowering them. My thoughts is all.

MrsMay

I have been known to use about 10 e/s in one look before, and my reason was that I was creating depth and dimension by doing this.

For example, it could work something like this:
primer
shadestick/paint
highlight colour
browbone colour
lid colour (wash)
inner 1/3rd lid
outer 1/3rd lid
crease colour (wash)
inner crease
outer crease
outer v

There's 9 different e/s (plus primer and s/s or paint) right there... and that's not a hugely complicated look!

Most of the time I will use between 2 and 6 e/s, depending on the look I want to create. Even though I have a huge collection, for me it's not just about using up what I have, it's experimenting with the colours to find new combinations and effects.

capmorlovesmac

Mostly I use 6 e/s for one look and I personally don't think that it is too much. It sounds a lot but if you withdraw the two eyeshadows I use for my highlight there are only 4 for the lid and crease.

I use the 6 for:
- highlight (a matte like Blanc Type)
- highlight under the arch of my brow/browbone (something shiny like Solar White or Dazzlelight)
- inner third of eyelid
- middle of eyelid
- outer third of eyelid + about the half of the crease + lower lashline
- outer v + outer lower lashline

I like to add depth and dimension like MrsMay too and I also use a paintpot, paint or shadestick on top of a primer.

For an easy look 3 eyeshadows can be enough, though. For example one for the highlight and inner lid, one for the middle lid and one for the outer v, crease and lower lashline. But I like to use more because I love to play with eyeshadows.
smiles.gif

darklocke

I usually stick with two colors, maybe three (I'm a newbie when it comes to intriguing looks). I don't really see the harm in using more, like 10 as MrsMay said, as long as it looks good on you. I mean, if you have an extensive e/s-collection, why not use it and experiment?
smiles.gif

capmorlovesmac

There is no rule that you have to use one, three or more eyeshadows for a look to look good.
smiles.gif

My personal preference is to use one or two highlighters so I always will use two eyeshadows at least.

It always depends on your personal preferences and the look you want to create.

I just saw this great tutorial from pixiwoo and she used just one eyeshadow.
She shows that one eyeshadow can be enough to create an intriguing look.

YouTube - Products of the week Pt. 2

Black Russian is not safe for the waterline, though.

anita22

I generally only use 5-6 max, including a paint pot or shadestick; that's usually when I am doing a smokey eye or trying to achieve vibrancy of colour. For most of my everyday looks, I use 2-3 shades.

Personally I have seen looks that use a lot more shades than that, some that look really good, and some that don't. I think it really comes down to the skill of the person, rather than the number of colours they use, as to whether it looks good or not.

Willa

I don't think you can really use too many e/s
The only thing is that sometimes, when the girls do that, it can end up looking like a mess because they don't know how to blend well.

On a look, I can use many e/s. Like Jeanette said, add the fact that some of these are highlights, it adds to the number. So yes, I can use up to 6-7 colors easily
yes.gif

ginger9

I think it depends on the skill of the person. I"ve seen really skilled looks here involving multiple colors and they look amazing and so defined and clean. Meanwhile I can use just a couple of e/s and end up looking like a hot mess LOL. I've managed to screw up a lot of smokey eyes attempts. My eyes are very long and there isn't a big lid space...

xmizlynnax

I see where you are coming from, I think that like others have said it depends on the person's skill and what you're doing with those colors. Personally, I could never pull off more than 4 colors at once (including highlight). It's easy to see where people just start adding colors here and there to adjust the look and it ends up being a 10+ color look. On the other hand I often just do neutral or simple colored eyeshadow looks but add 2-3 different eyeliners to add pops of color and dimension. In any case.. I do agree with you that that there comes a certain point where adding more isn't adding anything nice to the look.. Just makes it more cluttered/ugly.
lol.gif

ForgetRegret

Some of my favorite looks have 50 million colors in them...our QoB (where have you been, hunnie...I miss your FOTDs!!!) is amazing at using a crapload of different eyeshadows and creating something really spectacular with it. Like many of the PPs said, I think it's fine if you're going to use a lot of shadows, but the results really depend on the skill-level of the person. I'm lazy most of the time (plus my son ALWAYS seems to wake up when I'm trying to do my makeup...darn the luck!), so I usually only use 3-5 colors, depending on where I'm going, and what I'm doing...but after reading this thread, I think I'm gonna go home tonight and see how many different colors I can pack onto my eye before I look like a freak.

blindpassion

It's all about application.

You can use 2 or 10, but if you're not skilled with application - it has the ability to look questionable no matter what.

I usually use:
Lid Color,
Highlight Color,
Crease Color,
Outer Crease Color,

So, usually 4 - 5 depending on the look.

Tahti

Everyday I use about 5 - Carbon, Espresso, Omega, Gesso and Crystal Avalanche... and that's just for a simple eye look ;O
I could use up to about 10 depending on the look, but usually I don't like toooo much colour. I suppose it's all up to the individual!

radarlove

It's just about personal preference in my opinion. I have no issues if someone wants to use 5, 6, 7, or any number of colours for a look, even though I personally wouldn't. I think eyeshadow can look good using 2 colours or 10 colours, it's all in how the person uses it.

For me personally though, I usually do 2 colours for a simple daytime look, and 4 for an evening look.

pink_lily82

I'll usually use 2-5 different e/s colors, depending on the look I'm going for. I might add another color if, for instance, the vibrancy of the color isn't what I wanted. So I'll use another e/s to deepen it, etc...

I also agree that blending skills are very important too. I'm still working on mine so there have been times where I've ended up looking like a bad rendition of a Van Gogh painting (i.e. swirly mess of colors).

xsnowwhite

I only use like 2 colors, if I wear e/s at all. But that is cause I'm rushed & lazy! But I know what you mean though, sometimes it seems to all mush together, I can never get it right, even using 3 colors.

miss sha

I'm still new and learning, but I usually use like 3-4 colors. Lid color (sometimes inner 1/2 and outer 1/2), outer v, crease, and highlight. Now that I've spent so much time looking at FotD, using just 2 colors seems too simple to me.
lol.gif

I'd love to reach a point where I could use more colors and not have it looked like a hot blended mess (yesterday I tried Aquadisiac in the inner 1/3, Steamy in the middle 1/3, Deep Truth in the outer 1/3/outer v, Plumage in the crease and Ricepaper in the highlight--I had to wipe that mess off!) but right now my color control and blending abilities aren't there yet. Someday though!

TISH1124

I use @3-4....5 at the very most .......I think it really depends on the look people are going for as well...
Some looks I don't know how people get away with them in professional jobs...But then again...I have to think maybe they don't care if they look professional or not....or they may not have professional jobs.

But most looks I see that use 3-5 shadows, look just as good if not better than people who use 10+

Mabelle

I dont think ive ever used 10 shadows, but ive probably come close.

I dont know what you mean about those people that keep adding. But its like with anything else, some people just dont know when to stop. Like those girls that start getting highlights and they can't stop, so evetually there a mess of over processed blond hair. Or girls that tan too much. They start off looking pretty with a nice glow, next thing you know they look like a football.

MissResha

im too lazy to use a million colors, but at the most i'll use maybe 3. i'm all about the 2 color looks though.