Dark/Red Lipstick Recs?

_tiffany

I don't wear lipstick and the only lipsticks I own are pink. I want to branch out and buy a red or darker color. I don't know what skin tone I am and have no idea what shades to try. My lips are pretty pigmented naturally, so shades like Gaga barely show up unless I pile it on. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Here are some recent pics of me:
6226192.jpg
93402533.png

Mabelle

the classic pin up red would be russian red (obviously). My two favourites are dubonnet and Nars Velevt lip pencil in Cruella (which is a 2 in one; liner and lipstick. You only need extra liner if you want to wear a gloss on top, in which case i would suggest an invisible liner)

JustAddSparkles

It really depends on your skin tone I think. I'm really light and I heard rave reviews about Russian Red years ago, tried it, and it looks god awful with my complexion. Go into MAC or Sephora or wherever and try a few on
smiles.gif

CandeeNova

MAC's Viva Glam I is a dark red, Russian Red or Ruby Woo would be a nice bright red (kinda Gwen Stefani-ish). You could even try a purple like Violetta from MAC :)

Kragey

My favorite MAC reds are Dubonnet and Russian Red, although NYX's Snow White is a dupe for Dubonnet. If you're more warm toned, you may want to skip Russian Red and go for Lady Danger instead, which I think looks especially nice against yellow-toned Asian skin.

But whatever you do, don't go in to red just because you feel like you should! I've seen that happen to a lot of people; they want to try something super-different, then they're too shocked by the boldness of red to wear it out. Wear what you want to wear because you want to wear it.
smiles.gif

Shadowy Lady

I love MAC's Ruby Woo, I honestly much prefer it to Russian Red. It's very retro though so try it on first to see how you like it. For a deeper red I like Nars Damned matte velvet pencil

Honey&LemonGirl

I think a slightly deeper, blue-toned red would look really pretty with your skin tone.
smiles.gif
My favorite for that category would have to be Chanel's Rouge Allure Laque in Dragon, hands down.

Temptasia

I would suggest trying drugstore shades to experiment which reds you like and work on you. I like Rimmel.

If you want to try the higher end brands...I love Nars when it comes to reds.
NARS Gipsy is great. A favourite of Salma Hayak.

Chanel's Coco Rouge lipsticks are also great.

elegant-one

I definitely agree with Chanel's Dragon laque (its Gwen Stefanie's new sig) & Mac's Cyndi Lauper, which is a great wearable red.