Dark, Sexy, Red

ARmakeupjunkie

I would like a dark, sexy red lipstick. I have MAC Red and Glam but neither seems to be as dark as I would like. Can you guys make any suggestions? Does not have to be MAC. Thanks!!
smiles.gif

Beauty Mark

Chanel makes a great red, forget what it's called.

Nars makes many great lip colors and has several gorgeous reds.

ARmakeupjunkie

Thanks me_jelly! I have been looking at Dubonnet but I have not had the change to try it yet. I am not due to be at another MAC counter for two more weeks so I will try it then.
smiles.gif

ARmakeupjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by glittergoddess27
Chanel's Dragon Red

I looked on the Chanel website but could not find this color. I will check for it in stores when I go shopping next weekend.
smiles.gif
Thanks!

surfdiva

I had a difficult time wearing red until I found Nars Dolce Vita. It's a very wearable red that looks good on several skin tones. The best thing about this red is that you can easily turn the intensity up or down. If I want a dark red lip I pair it with a layer of Nars Amazon lip pencil underneath. If I want a more professional look I use it alone or with a nude lip pencil, like MAC's Subculture.

MAC's Russian Red Lipglass is a good one if you want high shine.

ARmakeupjunkie

Thanks surfdiva!
smiles.gif
I went to your beauty blog and I have to say you look cute in the Barbie tee. I bookmarked your blog so I can always get to it.

surfdiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARmakeupjunkie
Thanks surfdiva!
smiles.gif
I went to your beauty blog and I have to say you look cute in the Barbie tee. I bookmarked your blog so I can always get to it.

Awww, thanks for the nice complement ARmakeupjunkie! I'm so glad you stopped by the site. (I've been working hard on it, and it's practically like a third job!) Please come back and visit soon
smiles.gif

S.S.BlackOrchid

MAC Rocker or Porlongwear in Alta Moda, NARS Shanghai Express, Besame Cherry Red, Loreal Endless in Saucy Sangria ( I love Dark reds!)

Beauty Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdiva
I had a difficult time wearing red until I found Nars Dolce Vita. It's a very wearable red that looks good on several skin tones. The best thing about this red is that you can easily turn the intensity up or down. If I want a dark red lip I pair it with a layer of Nars Amazon lip pencil underneath. If I want a more professional look I use it alone or with a nude lip pencil, like MAC's Subculture.

MAC's Russian Red Lipglass is a good one if you want high shine.

Dolce Vita is a pinky rose neutral shade, not close to red.

ARmakeupjunkie

I want you all to know that I did try Dubonnet and that lipstick is brown on me. Sorry but it does not work for everyone.
smiles.gif

me_jelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARmakeupjunkie
I want you all to know that I did try Dubonnet and that lipstick is brown on me. Sorry but it does not work for everyone.
smiles.gif

Aww..sorry it didn't work for you, but what liner did you use with it? I find that if I use something with brown tones like auburn liner, it'll make it more brown - have you tried it with redd l/l? That tends to bring out the red tones in the lipstick. Also, I put a few small dabs of a brighter red gloss when using dubonnet to bring out the red tones in it - try a tiny bit of russian red on top, it'll tame those brown notes

ARmakeupjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_jelly
Aww..sorry it didn't work for you, but what liner did you use with it? I find that if I use something with brown tones like auburn liner, it'll make it more brown - have you tried it with redd l/l? That tends to bring out the red tones in the lipstick. Also, I put a few small dabs of a brighter red gloss when using dubonnet to bring out the red tones in it - try a tiny bit of russian red on top, it'll tame those brown notes

No liner, just the lipstick. There was not a hint of red in sight so somehow, I don't think the liner is going to help. I have learned that when I don't like a lipstick, no matter what gloss I add or liner I use, nothing will every change my mind about the color. Thanks anyway.
smiles.gif

Rouquinne, I will take a look at Rage the next time I am at a counter. Thanks for the rec.
smiles.gif