Darker ladies, NC(W) 42 and higher, do you wear red lipstick?

Felicia27

I'm pretty boring and want to try a red lipstick from MAC. I'm about NC 43-45(guessing, I don't wear MAC foundation). What's a red a lipstick with a touch of brown, but not overwhelming and a good start for a beginner? What red lipsticks do you guys own?

thanks

LineausBH58

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby1
NW 45 my fav red is Dubonnet

oh i hate this color on me.... I just can't do red's.... but rock it if you can....
thmbup.gif
I'm just too purpley/pinks lover

dovelysong

I'm C7/NC42-45 and I like Diva... though I'm not big on reds. I'm more of a neutral/pinky kinda person

Juneplum

moved to recs..

i'm a C6 in SF or NC45 in SFF and my favorite reds are Dubonnet, Diva, Russian Red, V-Red l/g, Viva Glam I, Ladybug, Fanplastico lacquer, Tassle, Mac red, and New York Apple
smiles.gif
(phew that was long) I honestly think you can make any red work depending on how you use it.. I.E with rockocco red that is super blue based, I used cushy l/l, brick lipliner on top of cushy, then the rockocco l/s and it's so pretty.. For me, the key is lining with a neutral brown liner as close to your skincolor, going over it with a complementary red liner THEN putting on the red l/s u think u can't wear
lol.gif
I wear any red I want to wear
graucho.gif

toby1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneplum
moved to recs..
I use cushy l/l brick lipliner on top of cushy, then the rockocco l/s and it's so pretty.. For me, the key is lining with a neutral brown liner as close to your skincolor, going over it with a complementary red liner THEN putting on the red l/s u think u can't wear
lol.gif
I wear any red I want to wear
graucho.gif

Cool I'll have to remember that trick I've never tried my Cushy liner with a red liner. I use UD Gash pencil I don't know how that compares to MAC Brick but Gash works great on it's own w/a dab of clear lipglass for a red lip looks also

Juneplum

well the thing is, u can use any color on top of a natural liner.. for me, i use cushy with EVERYTHING.. seriously.. it's my favorite natural color liner ever for my coloring! even moreso than spice or whirl (which i also adore! putting brick on top in this case, makes the red less blue (does that make sense) and tones it so it will work well for me
greengrin.gif

sexypuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneplum
moved to recs..

i'm a C6 in SF or NC45 in SFF and my favorite reds are Dubonnet, Diva, Russian Red, V-Red l/g, Viva Glam I, Ladybug, Fanplastico lacquer, Tassle, Mac red, and New York Apple
smiles.gif
(phew that was long) I honestly think you can make any red work depending on how you use it.. I.E with rockocco red that is super blue based, I used cushy l/l, brick lipliner on top of cushy, then the rockocco l/s and it's so pretty..

This is so weird. I tried rockocco a few days ago and it came out orangey on me. I am c7/nc45. The MA used nightmoth as a liner and told me that the purple would take away from the orange and make it more blue based. Indeed afterwards, it was pretty. The reds that i wear are pure vanity l/g and the viva glams

stellarx1587

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexypuma
This is so weird. I tried rockocco a few days ago and it came out orangey on me. I am c7/nc45. The MA used nightmoth as a liner and told me that the purple would take away from the orange and make it more blue based. Indeed afterwards, it was pretty. The reds that i wear are pure vanity l/g and the viva glams

Yah Rockocco is more of a yellow red on me. I'm an NC42. I wear it w/ Mahogany l/l and it turns out more of a deep warmer red than cool blue red. Funny how you can change the tone of l/s just by pairing it different liners or gloss's!

MAC_Pixie04

I use Burgundy Lip Liner, Hot Tahiti lipstick, and Venetian Lustreglass
DSCF1395.jpg

that's what it looks like.

I also use Spice lip pencil, Lady Bug lipstick and Venetian lustreglass, it comes off more glossy and sheer. I haven't yet ventured into full on red lips.

BTW-Ceelovejay, do you ever post on the ezboard.com forums? I used to lurk at one a loooong time ago, it was a general cosmetics board and i think i've seen your name pop up there. or perhaps a different one.

Tonitra

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Pixie04
BTW-Ceelovejay, do you ever post on the ezboard.com forums? I used to lurk at one a loooong time ago, it was a general cosmetics board and i think i've seen your name pop up there. or perhaps a different one.

Haha, this is funny because I have this weird deja vu feeling when I see the name "Ceelovejay" on specktra, because I know I've seen it somewhere else before, too! On ezboard too, I believe, although I'm not sure which one as I post on a lot of them.

Felicia27

what do you guys think about paramount and x-s? i haven't seen them in person yet. i'm not sure if i'm brave enough to do the true red just yet. does red look bad on very full lips?

sexypuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicia27
does red look bad on very full lips?

Not at all. I mean as long as you find "the" red for you. check out the thread on untamed and rockocco.

Felicia27

thanks everyone. i've written down your suggestions and will take them with me when i go to the mac counter.

MAC_Pixie04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonitra
Haha, this is funny because I have this weird deja vu feeling when I see the name "Ceelovejay" on specktra, because I know I've seen it somewhere else before, too! On ezboard too, I believe, although I'm not sure which one as I post on a lot of them.

hehe yeah it's not like it's a common s/n or anything. there's like 400 varations of MAC Whore here lol i always confuse them, but not this one, i just can't remember the name of the board. i stopped visiting because i didn't have the ezsupport whatever to block the pop ups and stuff and i didn't wanna pay for it. but it was a cosmetics board, not as big as specktra though.