De-potting Paint Pots

macnc50diva

OK, here's my dilemma: I love my paint pots, but I hardly carry more than painterly and blackground in my kit because they are SO heavy! I know I don't have to take the 15 or so that I have all at once, but I'd like to be able to without so much extra weight. So my question is...

Have you ever tried to de-pot your paint pots and if you have, what type of container did you use, and how did the product perform after? Did they dry out? Are they drying out? Was it a good choice to de-pot? Do you think it's foolish to try to de-pot them? After all they come in heavy glass for SOME reason
th_rolleye0014.gif

I'm really thinking of putting them into the MAC stackable travel jars. I did that with all my pigments and now they are amazingly organized and handy in my zuca, so I'd love for my paint pots to be just as nice but I have no clue whether or not this will work.

Thanks for your help on this!

User38

paint pots come in a pot for a reason.. that is so they stay fresh and don't dry up.

depotting means exposing them to air consistently and they will not last as long, and due to their cream texture will attract bacteria like mad.

if you are doing one or two jobs only, why don't you get a small spatula and put them in small plastic containers for travelling.. and leave the heavy glass at home nicely sealed. Otherwise, think of it as lifting weights.. lol.

hth.

macnc50diva

Thanks for verifying what i thought lol I guess I'll have to empty some of my sample jars and try it that way...

schneckchen

I had to depot one of mine some years ago - damaged the lid :( and put it into a tiny plastic jar, like they are used für pigment samples. It worked quite well and didn't dry..

Mac-Guy

paint pots come in a pot for a reason.. that is so they stay fresh and don't dry up.

depotting means exposing them to air consistently and they will not last as long, and due to their cream texture will attract bacteria like mad.

if you are doing one or two jobs only, why don't you get a small spatula and put them in small plastic containers for travelling.. and leave the heavy glass at home nicely sealed. Otherwise, think of it as lifting weights.. lol.

hth.
puke.gif

macnc50diva

I actually de-potted a couple of the permanent ones I use most and so far so good. No problems and my Zuca is much lighter :)

Fluffyloo

I have a couple of them that I put in a small plastic sample container. Still creamy with no problems. Of course theres just a small amount in each.

Latest posts