deciding between a maine coon or ocicat kitten Help!

NeonKitten

i'm looking to get a kitten and i've narrowed it down to a maine coon or and ocicat. i have a papillon who is 2 and needs a friend to play with so i need a kitty who will be good for him. i've heard that both cats are good with dogs but then i've heard they weren't too. i just wanted some input from people who have owned either cat on how you like there temperment and stuff

Thanks so much!

frankenkitty71

Hi! We have an ocicat and he took very well to our new kitten. He grooms the kitten and curls up with him. I'm not sure if that is any indication of how they would be with a dog though. The only thing I would say is that he "talks" A LOT!!! He is very loud and kind of howls frequently, loudly, for long durations. And we can't figure out what he is talking about? He doesn't want food or attention or anything else we can think of. On the other hand, we have a friend who has a Maine Coon and that breed doesn't talk at all so when they want attention they punch or hit something to make noise. Like a trash can or a door. I don't know if that is any help. I would say save a cat's life and rescue it from a shelter. The best cat I have is black and white and looks like hitler!!! Best Wishes and Good Luck!!!!

Skin*Deep

I have a maine coon who will turn 17 this year. she has always been super gentle with my children, and very tolerant of my dogs. we have three dogs, a very large german shepherd, a lab, and a chihuahua, we also have three other cats, two who are about as old as she is, and one that is only about 2 years old....when i was in college I worked at a vet clinic, and I fostered a lot of animals - evern a sugar glider once- and this cat has been the most accepting, tolerant pet I've ever seen. Also a very good hunter, she keeps the yard and garage clear of vermin......and at her age - no major health issues to speak of. when we move and have to get a new vet, sometimes I even have a hard time getting them to believe how old she is!! she is just in such good health! good luck with your new kitty, whichever you decide!

Titty

I have an adorable 5 year old long haired Maine Coon female
smiles.gif

She is AMAZING. Will cuddle with you, children friendly, she still has her claws but does not scratch! We had a doberman (BIG BIG BIG dog) and she just would go outside with him. He was a puppy when she was grown though.

She is very healthy and is low maintenance even though she is a long haired cat. She does not have matted fur or anything.

My suggestion is, get both cats!! Hehehe. You will become a crazy cat lady with more and more cats.

Mabelle

whatever you choose, i hope that you will be getting your cat from a shelter. There are all kinds of breed specific shelters out there.
This way you are saving a life, and you're not supporting any breeders. woot!

panda0410

^^Many breeders are good, whats your problem with buying from a registered breeder??

I would go with Maine Coon! Such lovely cats, I almost bought one a few years back
smiles.gif

Mabelle

im not fond of breeding animals for profit, but thats just me.

Why would someone not rescue a cat from a shelter and save their life rather than supporting a system that leads to the deaths of so many animals.
Thats my two cents. and thats all i'll say here
smiles.gif

good luck with the kitten, whatever you choose.

panda0410

Not all breeders breed for profit, thats extremely narrow sighted. Many breeders breed for standard and breed improvement.

As for why not save a life?? Many people prefer to buy a kitten that has been bred for temperament - not all rescue cats have good tempers, though admittedly its not their fault in many cases.

Many people prefer pedigrees where heritage is known - health disorders and traits are much more certain when the pedigree of the animal is known.

There are LOTS of reasons to buy from a breeder - these are just some.

The death of so many animals comes from irresponsible people - NOT breeders. Most breeders in this country (AU) desex before they even leave the breeder - and we are talking about registered breeders - not backyarders.

I also hope you get a lovely kitten whoever you choose to buy from
smiles.gif
smiles.gif
I would personally never buy anything BUT a pedigreed cat from a registered breeder, buts thats my personal preference
winks.gif

ImMACnificent

I, too, am against any sort of breeding (no matter how humane it is). It sickens me that thousands of animals are put to sleep because the shelters are overpopulated, meanwhile people are going to petstores and spending hundreds of dollars for a pet. I understand that buying from a petstore is different from a breeder, but my opinion is that saving a life is more important. I know that there are breeders that care a lot for the animals they breed, but regardless, I prefer adoption and rescuing because I feel much more worthy knowing that the animal was not sending money into the pocket of someone that might or might not give a crap about the life they are going to have.

TISH1124

2cents.gif
I think where and how one decides to buy their animals is their own personal choice...She asked for an opinion on the type of animal based on temperment..not where to get it from.

Good luck in your kitty choice from the place of your choice...I am sure which ever one you choose you will be happy with.

spacegirl2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabelle
im not fond of breeding animals for profit, but thats just me.

Why would someone not rescue a cat from a shelter and save their life rather than supporting a system that leads to the deaths of so many animals.
Thats my two cents. and thats all i'll say here
smiles.gif

good luck with the kitten, whatever you choose.

iagree.gif

ImMACnificent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
2cents.gif
I think where and how one decides to buy their animals is their own personal choice...She asked for an opinion on the type of animal based on temperment..not where to get it from.

Good luck in your kitty choice from the place of your choice...I am sure which ever one you choose you will be happy with.

There are also lots of misinformed, miseducated people out there that don't know much about the industry and what goes on.

I think it's highly effective for people to tell people their options.

For instance, when I got my cocker spaniel from a rescue, I had him at the petstore to buy food. A woman came up and asked what breeder I got him from. I told her he came from a rescue. The woman said "You got your full blooded cocker from a rescue?! I had no idea you could adopt a full breed like that!". That was pretty shocking to me that this woman didn't know that. That's why I think it's necessary sometimes to let people know that there ARE options out there.

I don't think anyone is trying to push their opinions on others, but it is fair to know that there are plenty of other options besides going to a breeder or petstore like most people are prone to do the second they decide to get an animal.

NeonKitten

thanks so much for all of your imputs!! my mom has always had rescue cats and i love them but they are the most odd tempered cats i've ever met. they don't get along with my dog whatsoever they just run away and thats not something i need in a cat. i love rescue animals and have gotten my dogs with the exception on jack( who is who i need the cat for) this way but i really want to go with a breeder so i can get the temperment i need the cat to have.

i want to thank everyone for their advice and experience. i think i have decided on getting a maine coon. i love the way they look and am glad to hear that what i've read about their temperments is true. there is a cat show here every year and i've met a breeder today that has beautiful girls and they are not that much money but have wonderful personalities. she breeds because she loves the animals and only has about 2 litters a year. she also waits until the cats are 12 weeks old i believe to make sure if they have any help problems it shows and that they get plenty of socializing with the momma. she also has dogs so the kitten will be good with them. i hope to be getting a kitten soon and will most pictures in the pet sticky when i do.

if anyone else has either cat i'd still like to hear other experiences and thanks again to everyone who has posted already!

TISH1124

^^ I don't have either kitty so can't give you advice on their temperment...But please post pictures when you get her!!

panda0410

Nice choice!!! Maine Coons are gorgeous - I love seeimg them on the showbenches and often thought I would get one - dont think they would get on well with my british shorthair though
winks.gif
hehehe

HustleRose

there are a lot of animals in shelters that didn't ask to be born and not wanted unlike breeders who make the choice for these animals to be born.

that's the difference.

no offense, you can do what you want, but imo i'd never "buy" an animal from a breeder.

i have four amazing dogs that i got from various shelters in the nyc area, plus 2 cats - one that was given to me from someone that couldn't keep it and the other was a stray i rescued.

good luck with the cat though.

NeonKitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by HustleRose
there are a lot of animals in shelters that didn't ask to be born and not wanted unlike breeders who make the choice for these animals to be born.

that's the difference.

no offense, you can do what you want, but imo i'd never "buy" an animal from a breeder.

i have four amazing dogs that i got from various shelters in the nyc area, plus 2 cats - one that was given to me from someone that couldn't keep it and the other was a stray i rescued.

good luck with the cat though.

she my problem is rescue cats is that they don't always have the best temperments. my moms cats hate my dog. so what happens if i get this mutt cat and then it hates the dog it is intended for and then what? i take it back and try again? i'm getting a ct from a breeder because i know who its parents are, what they are like, if any disease or illness exsists in the line and how the temperment will be. its great if you can adobt a cat from a shelter and it adapt to your household but i want to be certain the cat will be healthy and know that its line has been tested and chosen to make sure there is no disease. many shelter cats since they are born to outside homeless cats can have unknown disease later in life that may even effect my dog. i want to prevent that.

i understand where your coming from and i have rescued and homed many dogs to make sure they have a good solid life but i'm looking at a narrow window to make this work and these two breeds are the best and since they are rare i have to go with a breeder to make sure i'm getting a great cat.

plus its not the breeders fault that many cats are homeless. if people spayed and nutured their pets we wouldn't have such a problem but many people a ignorant and don't so we end up with unknown lineage and who knows what disease.

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImMACnificent
I, too, am against any sort of breeding (no matter how humane it is). It sickens me that thousands of animals are put to sleep because the shelters are overpopulated, meanwhile people are going to petstores and spending hundreds of dollars for a pet. I understand that buying from a petstore is different from a breeder, but my opinion is that saving a life is more important.

And you don't feel this is not making her feeling bad about her choice to get her cat from a breeder....

ImMACnificent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
And this is not making her feeling bad about her choice?

She can feel however she wants to feel about it. I stated MY OWN FEELINGS (which is okay, if you want to keep questioning that) about breeding.

I never was like
oh.gif
mg so if you dont do this, that means you pretty much suck:

She doesnt appear to feel "bad" about her choice at all, so why are you still worrying about that?

TISH1124

Ok ....for the same reason she has made her choice on where she is getting it from...why are you STILL worried about her getting it from the shelter and why she doesn't want a shelter cat???? For the same reason I guess...