Deciding on brushes

faetis

I've decided recently to get some MAC brushed. So far, the only brush I have is the 224. I'm looking to get either the 242 or the 239 next, but here's my dilemma. I already have quite a few eyeshadow brushes that I think may be similar to 239 (eyeshadow brushes from Annabelle, Vasanti and Hourglass), but everyone raves about the 239, so I'm interested in trying it out. I also already have a 242, but it's one of the SE ones, and I hate how scratchy it is. Every time I use the 242SE, I feel like I might as well just poke my eyelid with toothpicks. But I love its size and how it packs on shadows really well.

Both brushes seem very versatile, so I'm torn on deciding on only one. Seeing as I already have the 224 for blending, my main concern is more about applying the colours. But it'd be nice if I can use it for multiple purposes as well. Which brush should I get? 242? or 239?

Also, I was wondering if the NARS blush brush was similar to any of the MAC face brushes. It looks like it'd be similar to the 116, but I never have my brush with me when I go to a MAC store to compare. Does anyone know if they are similar, or what is similar to it?

I wish there was some sort of large comparison chart for various brands of brushes. Gah! It'd make it so much easier to decide whether I need to get that brush or not.
blinks.gif

faetis

Quote:
Originally Posted by reesesilverstar
I say get the 239. I have a regular 242 and that scratches me. I don't own any NARS brushes tho, sorry
ssad.gif

O, really? I was hoping that the scratchiness was just cuz my brush was one of those SE ones and that the regular ones would be a bit softer.
ssad.gif

purrtykitty

The SE ones tend to be a little lower quality than the regular brushes. None of my MAC ones are scratchy, but I don't have the 242, either. MAC brushes should stay nice and soft with regular cleaning and conditioning.

hello_kitty

I'll throw my vote in for the 239! I have 3 of them, and use them daily. I have a 242, and rarely use it... sometimes I use it when I use a paint pot other than Painterly and don't want to get my normal paint pot brush dirty with a different color.

Pinky & Poodle

Not to be confusing you, but have you considered the 217?

I can use it for both applaying and blendig.

But if you are looking for just applying, I would say 239 as well
smiles.gif

bumblebees24

I agree with Pinky & Poodle. The 217 is a multi-tasking brush (deposit color on lid, blend color in crease, apply highlighter on brow bone, and apply pigments). I like the 239 but I don't think it's a must have if you're on a budget constraint. If you can afford only 1 brush, I would recommend the 217.

kittykit

#239 is good to have but if you are going for a multi-purpose brush, #217 is the one.

#239 is great for applying e/s on the lids and brow bone (that's what I use mine for)
smiles.gif

Chester

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrtykitty
The SE ones tend to be a little lower quality than the regular brushes. None of my MAC ones are scratchy, but I don't have the 242, either. MAC brushes should stay nice and soft with regular cleaning and conditioning.

Both my 252SE and 224SE were scratchy from the start. Neither deep cleansing nor conditioning over the last couple of months have changed that, neither has constant usage since I got them.

bumblebees24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester
Both my 252SE and 224SE were scratchy from the start. Neither deep cleansing nor conditioning over the last couple of months have changed that, neither has constant usage since I got them.

I started out with SE brushes but found they are much lower in quality than the original brush. My 224 is soft and gets used daily for applying paint pot on the lids. The 239SE is decent but still is not as good as 239. So overal SE brushes do no justice to MAC's permanent line of brushes.

Latest posts