demo interview- what are the common mistakes?

claresauntie

So, for those jobs that require a demo during the interview process, what are the common mistakes (or even not so common ones!) that aspiring artists should prepare against!?

Help a sistah out!
rofl.gif

pumpkincat210

Eyeshadow spillage... makes your skills look unrefined.
Also you should know proper sanitation procedures. Be careful not to "double dip".
Don't forget to talk to your model explaining what you are doing all throughout the application!
Take note of your time always, you don't want to take too long.
It takes a few times to get comfortable with these, but you should definately know them before you go to the interview.
There are more, but i can't think of them right now, haha.

claresauntie

I saw someone say on another thread that it's ok to do eyes first, then face? that's how i do my own makeup lately, and it helps with the "spillage"!
smiles.gif

pumpkincat210

Quote:
Originally Posted by claresauntie
I saw someone say on another thread that it's ok to do eyes first, then face? that's how i do my own makeup lately, and it helps with the "spillage"!
smiles.gif

Yes, you can do it that way and it works.

amoona

The mistakes I made for my first demo interview are as followed:

-Didn't bring my own brushes. This was a problem because I went to a freelance job fair and there were about 20 other girls there to do a demo interview. So they just handed out brushes and you got what you got. I got stuck with horrible brushes. One had its hairs busted so the application was really sloppy. I was unprepaired and I really should have brought my own brushes like they told me I could.

-Did use primers/moisturizer. I personally rarely wear foundation so at the time I never wore moisturizer or Prep+Prime Face. This was a big mistake because I didn't use them on my model. Now I wear Strobe Cream all the time and I plan on using that and PP Face on my model. They want to know that you know their products and how to use them.

Other mistakes I noticed other girls making.

-Blowing on the brushes. Ok if you're at home and you're doing your own make-up that's understandable. I saw girls in the demo blowing off the excess shadow on their brushes. Instead you should just tap the brush with your fingers and let all the excess call on its own.

-Not talking. A LOT of girls were not talking to their models. They thought that because the manager was walking around looking at everyone's demos they only needed to talk when the manager was in front of them. I noticed the assistant manager and another MA constantly walking around us pretending like they were doing stuff. They're always listening.

-Messy stations. For us we only had such a limited amount of space to put our stuff and we had to share it with another girl. You have to try to make the best of whatever space you have and try to keep it as organized as possible. Make sure you throw away all your stuff afterwards. The girl right next to me dropped her tissue behind me when she left and the manager came and picked it up and gave me a dirty look. She thought it was mine so make sure that there's no mess around you.

claresauntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoona

-Didn't bring my own brushes.

I have heard this several times, so I definitely will bring my own, despite the fact that I don't have a nifty brush roll.
weeping.gif

Quote:
-Blowing on the brushes.

Yes, I can't believe that's not common sense!

Quote:
-Not talking.

This has never been my problem.
lmao.gif

Thanks for the tips!

amoona

Oh you don't need your own brush roll, I plan on buying one if I get offered the position but for the interview you don't need one. There was one girl there who brought her own brushes and they gave her a brush roll so you should be fine.

I also just called the manager and asked if I could bring some se brushes from a 2004 holiday set and she said as long as they're MAC they're fine.

Oh and I forgot to mention, never place your brush back into your brush belt after you've used it. Keep it on the table, that way you know what brush needs to be cleaned when you're done.

claresauntie

Thanks.

and thanks especially for this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoona
Oh and I forgot to mention, never place your brush back into your brush belt after you've used it. Keep it on the table, that way you know what brush needs to be cleaned when you're done.

because I would not have thought of that... not sure what I would have done, but now I know to check myself!

ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistella
Hi, I have an extra question.. do the brushes you bring HAVE to be MAC? thanks
smiles.gif

amoona: I also just called the manager and asked if I could bring some se brushes from a 2004 holiday set and she said as long as they're MAC they're fine.

calbear

Time time time and TIME. Watch your time. Too manypeople obsess over one area and then don't finish. I've seen too many people not even get a second look after time was called and no lips were done.

LMcConnell18

hmmm... this all sounds like GREAT advice... and im SOO glad i read this, because i want to apply at mac to be an MA. this is kinda off topic... but how do i get to that first step anyways? i would kill to work at mac.
smiles.gif

lara

- Don't blow on the brushes, eyelashes, etc. Tap them off or wave them gently.
- be anal about laying out your station neatly.
- keep a mental clock running and manage your time.
- eat a peppermint, lay off the perfume, overdose on the deodorant.
- for the love of god, don't get handsy. Only touch the model when and where appropriate.

And don't be a ditz.

claresauntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
- eat a peppermint, lay off the perfume, overdose on the deodorant.
- for the love of god, don't get handsy. Only touch the model when and where appropriate.

And don't be a ditz.

Excellent advice delivered with panache! Thanks, Lara!
clap.gif

Klava

I have 2 questions for demo:

1. Application of mascara - how do you avoid double dipping?
2. Is is ok to clean my brush in between 2 different e/s on a kleenex?

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klava
I have 2 questions for demo:

1. Application of mascara - how do you avoid double dipping?
2. Is is ok to clean my brush in between 2 different e/s on a kleenex?

You use a fresh spoolie whenever you need to re-dip, and make sure you dispose of the used wand immediately.

Klava

I see, Lara. How many spoolies would you usually use per application in order to finish eyelashes on both eyes? I was at MAC Mode today (it was major fun, BTW) and it took me 3 or 4 spoolies to put Prime+Prep and mascara on my eyelashes. Is this normal? Sorry, if the question is silly, I've never had a makeover at MAC.