Demo questions that have HOPEFULLY never been asked before

MACtastic

I have a demo interview on Thursday! I did a search regarding demo interviews, and I don't think these questions popped up, so here goes!

+I use MAC paint and CCB to prime the lid when I do my eyes on myself. If I use that method on the model, should I still do Prep+Prime eye under that?
+What should I use on the model to apply paint and CCB?
+Is a sponge ok for applying Prep+Prime Face? (I've never used it)

Thanks so much! <3

claresauntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACtastic
I have a demo interview on Thursday! I did a search regarding demo interviews, and I don't think these questions popped up, so here goes!

+I use MAC paint and CCB to prime the lid when I do my eyes on myself. If I use that method on the model, should I still do Prep+Prime eye under that?
+What should I use on the model to apply paint and CCB?
+Is a sponge ok for applying Prep+Prime Face? (I've never used it)

Thanks so much! <3

1) Use whatever you usually do to prime. Don't add a third product. In fact, two seems like a lot, but I'm not knocking it because I've never tried it. Anyway, enough artists use Shadesticks, CCBs, or Paints as bases, so they are completely acceptable for the demo. Just explain to your model why you picked what you picked.

2) Pick an eye brush. I use a 202, 249 or 252.

3) NO SPONGES! Use a brush to sell a brush.
Brushes cost more than a sponge, use less product, and give a more professional appearance during application and the result is better, too. Apply moisturizer and P+P Face with a 190 or 191.

amoona

Where is your demo at?! I noticed you are from San Francisco, let me know where your demo is and I can probably give you a better idea of what that manager is looking for. Don't use too many steps and don't use sponges. New trend is coming out on Thursday too so make sure to use those.

MACtastic

My demo is at Serramonte
smiles.gif

Yea it totally makes sense to use a brush...I only have my one 190 for foundation though, so I guess I'll just clean my brush each time? Gah I'm so nervous!!!

amoona

Ok Serramonte so they'll probably give you 20 minutes for the full demo, that includes you getting all product. Key thing they want you to keep your station super clean. You also can't use your 190 for an entire face, bring your eye brushes for applying paints and stuff. Use trend.

MACtastic

LOL I didn't mean that I was going to use 190 for the whole face, I meant I was going to use it for moisturizer, prep+prime face, and foundation, wiping it in between each product.
Eeek, 20 minutes? Scary. I was hoping for at least 30, but what can ya do.
Thanks so much for the tips, ladies!

Bernadette

I would not use three products to prime the eye at your demo or ever. At the demo I would only use a paint or shadestick because time is an issue and they are more effective alone than a CCB alone.

Apply the paint or shadestick with whatever brush you have. I typically use a 242 at counter. Squirt the paint onto a petri dish and scrape the shade stick and put it on the dish to use it. Also, before you start, wipe down your petri dish. Don't assume that whoever used it before you cleaned it.

You can use the 190 to apply moisturizer, primer and foundation, without wiping it in-between. NO SPONGES.

Since you know you don't have a lot of time, don't try to do an eye look you know will be really hard to achieve in that amount of time. They would rather see you do something reasonible, that you can pull of and still be able to touch every part of the face before you're done.

Best of luck!

MACtastic

For some reason, when I went to a MAC store and asked about prepping the eye, she told me to use Paint and CCB at the same time. I had never used Specktra before that, so clueless me busted money on both. I've never used my Paint by itself, as I've been using UDPP, but I'll have to try it with my brush before my demo to see how I can work with it.
I'm not as clueless as it sounds, I swear! I do know quite a bit more about makeup than it sounds, I'm just more familiar with the brands carried at Sephora.
I don't know what scenario they'll give me, but I rock at a quick smoky eye...I did smoky eye looks all the time on myself when I went to work at Sephora, and my customers would then ask me to do it on them. So if the scenario allows me to do so, I will definitely be going to my staple smoky eye
greengrin.gif

Bernadette

Quote:
For some reason, when I went to a MAC store and asked about prepping the eye, she told me to use Paint and CCB at the same time. I had never used Specktra before that, so clueless me busted money on both. I've never used my Paint by itself, as I've been using UDPP, but I'll have to try it with my brush before my demo to see how I can work with it.
I'm not as clueless as it sounds, I swear! I do know quite a bit more about makeup than it sounds, I'm just more familiar with the brands carried at Sephora.
I don't know what scenario they'll give me, but I rock at a quick smoky eye...I did smoky eye looks all the time on myself when I went to work at Sephora, and my customers would then ask me to do it on them. So if the scenario allows me to do so, I will definitely be going to my staple smoky eye
greengrin.gif

I don't think you sound un-informed at all. When using paint and CCB the paint is typically applied before the CCB.
One thing I would look out for is if they give you a scenario in which nothing dramatic is asked for, don't go too dramatic. I think sometimes people get sucked into the idea that at MAC all we do is the crazy dramatic makeup, when in reality the majority of our customers don't ask for that. Most people do want natural makeup and ideas on how to add our amazing colors into that. Of course there are people that want the full on out there drama.
What I'm trying to say is don't go in there with any set ideas on what you will be expected to do. Listen to the scenario and adapt the look based on what a paying customer is most likely going to walk away happy with.
The scenario for the demo that got me my job was a stay at home mom of two that wanted a crisp look that was easy to achieve.... I used Vanilla, Wedge and the tiniest bit of Mystery on the eye. As you can see, not the typical MAC idea.
thmbup.gif
. Best of luck, tell us how it goes!!!

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernadette
The scenario for the demo that got me my job was a stay at home mom of two that wanted a crisp look that was easy to achieve.... I used Vanilla, Wedge and the tiniest bit of Mystery on the eye. As you can see, not the typical MAC idea.

For every Electric Eel, crazy,smoky eye I do, I do 50 of the above combination (or something along those lines)...definitely not the typical MAC idea...
thmbup.gif

MACtastic

So if I do get a scenario such as 'stay at home mom' or something where the makeup needs to be quick and simple, should I still do Strobe Cream and Prep+Prime face?

d_flawless

Quote:
So if I do get a scenario such as 'stay at home mom' or something where the makeup needs to be quick and simple, should I still do Strobe Cream and Prep+Prime face?

sorry to jump in, but i would say yes.
it seems like it's basically a skin requirement for all looks, strobe cream is your moisturizer, p&p face is face prep, and then foundation for coverage where u need it. it still can be "quick" (that would be great @ the demo to mention that u can even use the same brush to apply all 3, saving money and time), but i don't even work for mac and i could tell you they probably want you using at least 3 products on every area of the face. the idea is basically to show how well u can add on products they wouldn't have considered (or came in to buy) that are not only going to make their face/overall look more finished (thus them happy with the result), but also help you sell more, since u're using more
hth

Bernadette

Quote:

Prep+Prime face and Strobe Cream don't work well together. I wouldn't recommend pairing them together. When you use both the skin has too much slip and the foundation doesn't go on smoothly, go with one or the other. Choose a different mositurizer depending on your models skin type.

MACtastic

Oy, I didn't know that! I'll definitely choose one or the other depending on the scenario. Thanks for that!

Latest posts