Depotting lustre eyeshadows?

Julia Vanhorn

I am thinking about getting a couple of 15-pan palettes, and I was wondering if anyone think it is a good idea to depot lustre eyeshadows since they have a tendancy to get a little messy. Or should I leave them in the pot. I could also get a 4-pan palette just for my lustres if anyone think that is a better idea.

Miss_Behave

I depotted about 10 lustres so far and had no problem at all! I tend to have more trouble with veluxe and velvets actually

user2

I had no problem too!
Just heat them in the oven until the plastic starts to deform! No mess at all!!

glittergoddess27

I use the depotting tutorial on here with the candle and then I just flip it over onto a paper towel folded a couple times so that it does not hit a hard surface,.. no mess and no breaks to date,.... I have done the following this way with no mess,.. Chill Blue, Romantique, Lustreleaf, Mythology, Li'lilly, and Goldbit to name a few,..Really the only time I have had problems was with depanning before Msthorpe clued me in,.. MY poor poor Dancemix,.. but I was able to fix it with the alcohol tip,... Good idea VV,. but I am one of those people that burn bread at dinner time cuz I get distracted and don't watch the oven,.. it scares me to get MAC anywhere near it,.. LOL

user2

Quote:
Originally Posted by glittergoddess27
Good idea VV,. but I am one of those people that burn bread at dinner time cuz I get distracted and don't watch the oven,.. it scares me to get MAC anywhere near it,.. LOL

Distraction is the depotting death!
greengrin.gif
greengrin.gif
You have to check every 20-30 seconds if the plastic starts to deform! It almost depots itself because it pushes the pan up and out of the plastic!

I'll do a tutorial for that when I'll pick up my Culturebloom e/s!

lindseylouike

I've depotted all of my lustres with no problems--I use a different method than the tutorial here shows. I take a screwdriver and heat it over a candle, then take the hot screwdriver and melt it through the back of the pot. It may take a few times of heating up the screwdriver and putting it back through the hole you've melted, but the heat from the screwdriver loosens up the glue on the pan, you will hear kind of a crunching noise, and the pan pops out. No problems yet with this method.

Julia Vanhorn

And I was also wondering if it is a good idea to put them palettes with other non-lustre eyeshadows, or should they have their own separate palette?

mskttn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Vanhorn
And I was also wondering if it is a good idea to put them palettes with other non-lustre eyeshadows, or should they have their own separate palette?

I have my lustres in quads, and while they do seem to get . . . lustredust (for lack of a better term :p) all over, if I just blow on the quad after using them, they don't contaminate the other shadows in it or anything. I'm not sure if that would work with 15-pans though; it seems like it would be harder to keep the dust from getting in other shadows. So I vote quads for lustres, personally, (but I don't think it matters if you put them in them with non-lustres).
smiles.gif

glittergoddess27

Thanks VV I would appreciate that,.. sometimes I have the attention span of a gnat though,.. so I may not try the oven method,.. LOL,.... at least not with MAC,...

Julia,.. I keep all my shadows in color schemes,.. Reds & Oranges together etc,.. I mark the outsides of my 15 pans so that I can just pull out the one I want.. I have never really had problwms with lustre dust,.. when I get done I just blow over the top of the 15 and it clears away,.. it doesnt normally stick to the other shadows,.. I noticed when I used to keep them together I didnt use them as much,... they kinda got back listed,.. it all depends on what is most comfortable for you. I use quads for travelling,.. thats about it,...

bellaetoile

i was worried about this too, as well as having my white shadows by black tied and carbon. so far i haven't had any problems with the eyeshadow placements, or dust getting from one color to another. i love having mine in palettes, even though i was mortally against it for some time. i did have a couple problems actually depotting the lusters. they seemed to break easier as they came out? it may have just been my lack of technique, though. i managed to get through 60+ colors and only lost 3..

lara

I keep my entire collection in four pan pallettes, broken up by colour and then by texture. I find it more convenient when packing my kit for a session to just grab whatever relevant quads I need, rather than lugging around big fifteen pan pallettes when I might only need one or two colours from them.

That being said, seeing as most of my lustres are copper and gold metallics, they live by themselves anyway. They do contaminate each other when I'm moving around, but the colours absorb each other enough that it doesn't really matter.

If you want a really foolproof way of depotting, do what a MA suggested to me months ago - pop out the plastic shroud, lay it pan-side down, pop a piece of heatproof baking paper over the the top and press a warm iron onto it. The pan falls right out without you having to tweezer it out or bend the plastic.
smiles.gif