I just finished depotting my Oyster Smashbox eyeshadow because I wanted it to fit into my MAC palette with the rest of my shadows and I thought I would share with you how I did it because when I was researching the depotting process all tutorials I could find involved heat in some way (strightening iron, candle and even a lighter!) - and frankly speaking I would be too scared to put my shadows through any heating
You will need:
How it's done:
I just finished depotting my Oyster Smashbox eyeshadow because I wanted it to fit into my MAC palette with the rest of my shadows and I thought I would share with you how I did it because when I was researching the depotting process all tutorials I could find involved heat in some way (strightening iron, candle and even a lighter!
You will need:
- your Smashbox eyeshadow(s)
- blunt knife (I used dinner knife)
- sharp, pointy knife (I used paring knife)
- rubbing alcohol (plus optional nailpolish remover)
- tissues, q-tips
- thin magnet, scissors, doublesided adhesive tape if your magnet doesn't come in sticker form
How it's done:
- Line your workspace with some tissues to avoid any damage to your desk.
- Pop the rubbery outer part of the box off the eyeshadow. I find it is best to open the eyeshadow (twist off the lid), insert a tip of a blunt knife between the hard plastic and rubber part and gently pry them apart. It helps to squeeze/pinch the rubber casing so a wider gap forms. This step can also be done with your hands only - just grip the hard plastic rim in one hand and the softer casing in the other one and heave
- Now, this part is a bit tricky. You want to be firm but gentle at the same time. Otherwise your eyeshadow might crack, flake, chip or suffer any other frequent depotting accident, and we wouldn't want that, would we?
- Pour a little of the rubbing alcohol into the removed part of the eyeshadow casing (the softer part we popped off) and take some of the alcohol on the tip of the sharp knife (please be careful when handling a sharp knife!) and hold the eyeshadow by the lower rim again. Squeeze it a little so that the small gap shows and carefully (!!!) insert the thin tip of the knife into this gap. Let the alcohol flow into the gap and repeat around the whole pan.
- Let the eyeshadow sit for a minute.
- Squeeze the lower rim of the eyeshadow once more and carefully insert the tip of the sharp knife into the gap. Gently gently pry at the pan and it should pop right out of the case!
- Remove the glue residue on the pan (you can use tissues and the rubbing alcohol but I find nailpolish remover works better for me most of the times).
- Discard the alcohol from the soft outer casing and peel off the sticker (mine went really easily, no steaming or other heating was required). Stick the sticker (ha ha
- And voilà: you have your Smashbox eyeshadow ready for your MAC palette!