Dermablend?

Julia Vanhorn

I have a few questions concerning dermablend. My first question: I already use dermablend, is it okay to use it with acne-prone skin or is there a better foundation out there that has better coverage and and does not make the skin worse?
My second question: can you use MAC 190 foundation brush, or will dermablend harm the bristles? Any more advice on this?
Completely off topic from DB foundation, can dampening a sponge give you better coverage or is it better dry? I have read this somewhere.

pumpkincat210

I have no idea about dermablend, but I love studio tech foundation from MAC, and I have acne prone skin. Since i've been using it I have had few blemishes/pimples on my face. Some people have a problem with this foundation, but I swear by it. For my acne I use a witchhazel toner from Oil of Olay and benzoyl peroxide cream from the store..it works so well and I used to break out all the time.

caffn8me

I'd suggest you give M·A·C Full Coverage a try rather than Dermablend as it is more comfortable to wear, looks more natural and still has good coverage. It should be able to cover beard shadow quite easily. I used it when I was asked to do a male-to-female makeover just before Christmas. I'll see if I can get permission to post a picture of the final result. If you find you still have blue undertones showing through you can neutralize these by adding a red lipstick to the foundation (this was demonstrated at the M·A·C masterclass I attended in Atlanta in September).

Use a dry latex sponge for maximum coverage with a foundation like Full Coverage or Dermablend and a damp sponge for a more sheer layer. For the makeover I was asked to do I used a dry latex sponge for the area that had beard shadow and then used a brush to apply another layer over the whole of the face covering the beard area again. I cheated on this second layer and thinned the Full Coverage with Face & Body Mixing Medium. I then used a translucent powder to set everything and when it had set I buffed to a nice finish with a buffer brush. This gives a more natural skin-like finish rather than a flat matte effect.

Dermablend won't harm the bristles of a 190 brush but I'm not sure how well it will work for application. You can use Cleanse Off Oil to get the heavy residue out of brushes before you use a regular brush cleaner.

I hope this helps.

user3

I have used Dermablend before.
It did not look very natural but I would also like to point out that at the time I was very young and had no idea about using a damp sponge or foundation brush. Plus, my blending skills really needed some work.
I will say that it did cover very well.
I personally do not like MAC foundations. I have never had good luck with them.
I have oily acne prone skin.
When I used Dermablend it did not make my skin worse. MAC however has turned my skin into one huge pimple from just a few days of wearing it.

It's really hard to rec a foundation when it comes to acne prone skin. Everyone has a reaction to different ingredients.

I do have a few sites you can check out that I have found helpful.
Acne.org
AcneNet
Acne Resource
If you ever lose the site addresses they are very easy to find. Simply type Acne in a Google search. That is how I found them years ago.

If you can get yourself to the doctor. You don't even have to see a Derm. A regular DR. can help.

As for products I can rec you a few that I know have worked for me and others that I have rec'd them too.
~Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet foundation
~Make Up For Ever Lift concealer, it can be used on the face as well as under the eyes *Make Up For Ever can be found at Sephora
~Almay Amazing Lasting foundation

Please keep in mind those are rec's are for oily/acne skin.
If you have dry skin those will not work for you. Well, the concealer will be ok but not the foundations.

Sadly, when it comes to products it is all trial and error. At least where acne is concerned. What may not bother one person could bother the next. I have even found that as my skin ages what bothered me a few years ago does not bother my skin now but now I have a whole new list of things that cause problems.

Good Luck in your search!

caffn8me

OK - I have permission to post a picture of the makeover I did but I don't have a "before" I can show you. I can assure you that the person had a dark beard shadow which was completely hidden by the foundation. The aim was for a very natural look rather than a drag queen look.

Apologies for the quality of the photo - the scanner used wasn't very good so I am told!

MtoF.jpg