Do cosmetics expire?

SloanePeterson

Yes, they do. There are a few general rules of thumb with regards to certain cosmetics items and when you should stop using them. For example, mascara should not be used longer than 3 months due to the fact that bacteria grow in them. Powder cosmetics can generally be used forever - they do not expire. I don't keep foundations longer than 3 years.

If you're talking about natural and organic cosmetics, many of those expire much sooner and I believe they are require to print "use by" dates on the packaging.

shellygrrl

Staff member
Many makeup products, and not just "natural/organic" ones, have a symbol of an open tin with "##m" (or something similar) written inside it -- i.e., "This product is good for (length of time, in months) after opening it.", somewhere on the product label or packaging. It's a pretty good guideline to follow, IMO. But yes, mascara has the shortest shelf life of all -- three to six months. Other products you can tell they've gone bad in other ways -- if they start to smell rancid, if the texture changes, if it's a pressed powder product gone dry, if it's a liquid foundation that's started to separate (this happened to me recently), that sort of thing. (Powders do last longer than creams and liquids, though.)

marie4u

yes i expected that and i did i little bit of research also where i found that makeup items do expire.

Shylamoma

Yes, they most certainly do have an expiration date. Powders seem to last longer than any other products though…

Mi55V33

Yeps! I use the smell test for the most part. Powders do last the longest. My only worry with my powder products is them drying out or cracking. When I see that happen with my ES's or blushes, I try to fix them with a bit of alcohol. Good as new!

marie4u

Yeps! I use the smell test for the most part. Powders do last the longest. My only worry with my powder products is them drying out or cracking. When I see that happen with my ES's or blushes, I try to fix them with a bit of alcohol. Good as new!
how you it by smelling it?

User38

Try reading the thread thoroughly next time, yeah?
lol wasn't this the very same person who started the I wanna look like a model thread?

me thinks it's a punkster again
girlhaha.gif