Do I have a very very old pigment on my hands?

cutandrun

I recently bought a dc'd pigment off ebay, when I received it I compared it with a sample I had of the same pigment and it was definitely genuine. However, I am curious about one thing- the batch number makes me wonder if this pigment is super old. Usually the batch numbers I've seen consist of one letter and two numbers, however this particular pigment has the batch number 7J301. Would anyone know what year/month this pigment was produced? Is it still safe to use?

This may sound weird, but it kind of smells! But only when I put my nose close to it. The pigment sample I have also smells, but not as strongly, which is why I'm asking whether it's ok to still use or not.

Thanks in advance everyone!
greengrin.gif

ilovexnerdsx

i cant tell you about the batch number
ssad.gif
but if it's a metal pigment, those are known to have a weird almost waxy smell. hope that helps some, sorry if it doesnt!

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutandrun
I recently bought a dc'd pigment off ebay, when I received it I compared it with a sample I had of the same pigment and it was definitely genuine. However, I am curious about one thing- the batch number makes me wonder if this pigment is super old. Usually the batch numbers I've seen consist of one letter and two numbers, however this particular pigment has the batch number 7J301. Would anyone know what year/month this pigment was produced? Is it still safe to use?

That's a 1997 batch number as far as I know. It's the correct format for batch numbers of that vintage too. It should still be safe to use.

cutandrun

Quote:
i cant tell you about the batch number but if it's a metal pigment, those are known to have a weird almost waxy smell. hope that helps some, sorry if it doesnt!

That's EXACTLY the smell that this pigment has, thank you for reassuring me!
greengrin.gif

Quote:
That's a 1997 batch number as far as I know. It's the correct format for batch numbers of that vintage too. It should still be safe to use.

Yikes! 1997?! Wow I didn't realise it was that old! Thanks for letting me know it's still safe to use
smiles.gif

Latest posts