Do I really need pigments?? Convince me.....

fishchick72

I am thrilled to death with my MAC e/s & there's still so many more I want. I do know that pigments last FOREVER, but I keep wondering if I should even get any, especially since they are more money than the e/s. So what are the benefits of pigment over e/s?

singinmys0ng

OH MY LAWD.

Okay first off. Pigments are amazing because you can make them sheer or you can make them as bright as you want. You can make them a highlighter or you can make them a liner. There are just so many things to do with pigments that I think it's worth just trying out one. You can also get samples just to try some out and see if you really want to spend the $$ on the whole jar.

michy_mimi

definately get some samples...you won't be sorry
smiles.gif

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishchick72
I am thrilled to death with my MAC e/s & there's still so many more I want. I do know that pigments last FOREVER, but I keep wondering if I should even get any, especially since they are more money than the e/s. So what are the benefits of pigment over e/s?

If you're not sure, you can always go to a MAC store and ask for a sample first of a pigment you are interested in, then play around with it and see how you like it.

Personally, I love pigments. They are so versatile and you can use them for so many different things, depending what colour you get. Eyes, lips, nails, body...They are also very intense and if you apply them strongly, they will really pop with colour. Or, you can apply with a light hand and they will be more sheer.

I also love the shades. Some of them seem irridescent so depending what way the light strikes it, it can look different colours.

Shawna

I just cannot say enough about how much pigments rock. They are seriously the one thing I couldn't live without in my makeup kit. You can use them dry or wet, as a liner or a shadow, as blush (for some colours) as nail polish, as lipgloss. I think that there are so many uses for them that the cost works out to be cheaper than eyeshadows. The only problem is that once you try them, you won't want to stop buying them
winks.gif

bebs

I have about 40 or so eyeshadows and thought I was hooked with them and then tried pigments and now I have about 70 and look foward to buying more at the pro store as well as when new ones come out. they are so easy to blend -I find it easyer then eyeshadow to blend- and get new and wonderful looks from.

like stated by misschievous they are very versatile you can do whatever you want with them, I have used them as eyeshadow, blush, eyeliner, with the mixing medium as mascara when going for an out there look, I've used them mixed with wax in my hair, with lipglass or lipgloss, on my skin with my 182 as just a pretty bronzer, nail polish, I'm sure there is other things you can use them for as well, but how many eyeshadows can do all that?

also on a side note. my bestfriend has had her vanilla pigment for about 4 years -using almost every day- and its only about half way gone, even after giving me a sample. eyeshadows last about 3 to 6 months each and are so much smaller for half the price of a pigment... also if you fnd somebody near you, may be able to split pigments in half and just buy jars from the pro store and split the cost. ... long winded but hope that helps a bit.

MissMarley

Agreed w/ everyone above- if you wanted to start out on pigments, I'd try Vanilla- it's an incredible highlighter, eyeshadow, lippie...Rose pigment is beautiful on eyes, as well as a blush and again, in lipgloss..
The new Sweetie Cake ones look like they'll be great as well- maybe visit your counter then and play with them!

glittergoddess27

Yeah I can't wait for the Lilly white from Sweetie Cake too,.. I heard it will rock as a cheek highlight and be great for the summer,.. I make my pigments into nail polish, Mascara, Hair color, lip gloss, eyeliner, to tint my moisturizers,..all kinds of things and here is the funniest thing,.. my son has me tint his model car paints sometimes,.. yeah no kidding,.. they are mica based too! I just remove a scoop with my little spatula onto a paper towel and let him add it to his paint,.. comes out great! The uses are endless!

fishchick72

bebs said:
I have about 40 or so eyeshadows and thought I was hooked with them and then tried pigments and now I have about 70 and look foward to buying more at the pro store as well as when new ones pigment for about 4 years -using almost every day- and its only about half way gone, even after giving me a sample. QUOTE]

do they actually make 70 pigments????
If I let myself want them I am soooo gonna go broke!!

MissMarley

well, 70 aren't all available...that's probably with all the LE ones and pro ones...look on the mac website, and the mac pro website- that will give you an idea of the usual range

pugmommy7

i just started playing with them and already have 17! but 16 of them are sample sized. a sample is a lot imo,so you really get an idea.
my next venture will me mixing media!

dawnmelissa

pigments were the first mac item i'd ever bought, i actually reach for them more than what i do my regular eyeshadows.

bebs

umm well theres 60 out that you can buy between freestanding and pro and then they come out with collections that have a few, I know I have 14 le/dc and I dont have all the ones from the pro store yet, and a few glitters thrown in there with that number. I know that there are ones I still really want but wont ever get I think theres been about 90 or so that have been ever made.. dont quote me on that though it could be a little more or less then that.

actully counted just pigments and got 92 including le/dc

coachkitten

There is a huge difference between pigments and eye shadows! The eye shadows are wonderful but pigments are so versatile. You can make great shadows, liners, highlighters, lipsticks, blushes, and so much more with them. Plus you can go on ebay and get 1/4 tsp and it will last you for a long time. Pigments are a must have for any MAC and eye color lover. Just try them and you will be convinced!

AudreyNicole

I have a few samples and honestly, I don't reach for them that often. I know that I am the minority here!
lol.gif
Really, I could take them or leave them. I LOVE the e/s and do use the sample I have from time to time, but not every day. I agree that you should pick up a few samples before buying full jars. That way you get to experiment with several colors and if you find one that you fall in love with, then you can buy the whole jar. Or you could find someone to go half and half with you and split the cost and the jar
smiles.gif
Oh, and out of the samples I have, my favorites are Pink Opal, Kitchmas and Fuschia! Have fun!

MAC_Whore

Quote:
.......do they actually make 70 pigments????
If I let myself want them I am soooo gonna go broke!!

I have about 85 individual full-size pigments (not counting dupes), so they can get to be a pricey habit!
smiles.gif
I do love them (obviously). They are so versatile, as everyone has pointed out. And really, for just a bit more than you pay for the eyeshadows, they last forever!!!! They are my crack!!
smiles.gif

Turbokittykat

Quote:
do they actually make 70 pigments????

There are 96 including all the d/c and LE ones. And three more about to come out with Sweetie Cake, plus 2 more this Summer. Plus the rumour or 9 or 10 new ones in July.

Turbokittykat

Complete Pigment list:

1. Acid Orange
2. All-Girl (LE)
3. Auburn (matte, d/c)
4. Basic Red (matte)
5. Black (matte, d/c)
6. Black Black (matte)
7. Blue (d/c)
8. Blue (Rebel Rock, LE)
9. Blue Brown
10. Blue Storm (LE)
11. Brass (d/c)
12. Bright Coral (d/c)
13. Bright Fuchsia
14. Bronze (d/c)
15. Burnt Burgundy (matte)
16. Chartreuse
17. Chocolate Brown
18. Clear Sky Blue (matte)
19. Coco (LE)
20. Coco Beach (LE)
21. Cool Pink (matte)
22. Copper (d/c)
23. Copper (metal)
24. Copper Sparkle
25. Cornflower
26. Dark Soul (reformulated)
27. Dark Soul (original LE)
28. Deckchair (LE)
29. Deep Blue Green
30. Deep Brown (matte)
31. Deep Purple
32. Dusty Coral (matte)
33. Electric Coral
34. Emerald Green
35. Fairylite (reformulated)
36. Fairylite (original LE)
37. Forest Green (possibly d/c)
38. French Violet (matte)
39. Frost
40. Frozen White
41. Fuchsia
42. Genuine Orange (matte)
43. Gold (d/c)
44. Gold (metal)
45. Goldenaire (LE)
46. Golden Lemon
47. Golden Olive
48. Grape
49. Green (d/c)
50. Green (matte d/c)
51. Green Brown
52. Kelly Green
53. Kitschmas (rereleased)
54. Kitschmas (original LE)
55. Landscape Green (matte)
56. Light Blue (matte, d/c)
57. Lovely Lily (LE)
58. Marine Ultra (matte)
59. Maroon (d/c)
60. Melon
61. Mustard (matte, d/c)
62. Naked
63. Naval Blue
64. Nocturnal Plum (matte)
65. Old Gold
66. Orange (matte, d/c)
67. Pink Bronze
68. Pink (matte, d/c)
69. Pink Opal
70. Pink Pearl
71. Pink Vivid (matte)
72. Platinum (metal)
73. Polished Ivory (matte)
74. Primary Yellow (matte)
75. Provence (LE)
76. Pure White (matte)
77. Purple (matte, d/c)
78. Red (matte, d/c)
79. Rich Purple (matte)
80. Rose
81. Rose Gold (metal)
82. Royal Blue (matte, d/c)
83. Ruby Red
84. Silver (d/c)
85. Silver (metal)
86. Silver Fog
87. Steel Blue
88. Tan
89. Teal
90. True Chartreuse (matte)
91. Turquoise (matte, d/c)
92. Vanilla
93. Violet
94. White
95. White Gold
96. Yellow (matte, d/c)

There are even more than 96 if you count the colours that were reformulated as eye safe at the beginning of 2005 as separate releases.

These were: Chartreuse, Chocolate Brown, Cornflower, Emerald Green, Fuchsia, Golden Lemon, Kelly Green, Naked, Silver Fog and Teal, plus (I think) Dark Soul and Fairylite, (I think the rereleased versions were still not eye safe until reformulated in January 2005).

Many of the 96 are only available from MAC Pro stores.