Do you apply your make up at home or work?

honesty

Hey everyone!

Sorry for the n00b question but I just went from being an avid mac fan/customer to official bona fide mac employee all within one week. It's been crazy, and I'm still a little overwhelmed by it all. I wasn't even looking for a job!

Anyway, I'm panicing over small details because I want everything to go smoothly and I've been thinking about where I would be doing my make up before my shift starts. I don't know what's considered normal, so I don't want to walk into the store on my first day with a full/bare face and have everyone think I'm weird. I'd love to hear how you girls (and guys, if there are any who post here) do it.

Thanks for your input!
bigheart.gif

couturesista

I'm not a MUA but I would suggest applying at home. Since its your first day, I think you should come prepared. IMO its not very professional to be applying your makeup when you can be applying /selling to the customer. JMO
winks.gif

honesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by couturesista
I'm not a MUA but I would suggest applying at home. Since its your first day, I think you should come prepared. IMO its not very professional to be applying your makeup when you can be applying /selling to the customer. JMO
winks.gif

See, that's what I thought but the last time I went in to the store my co-worker was walking around with no make up on and started doing her face as I was leaving.
th_dunno.gif

couturesista

Maybe she thinks its cool because she's been there for awhile. I see one or two MUA reapplying their MU while working when I go to MAC, and I think that's cool, because customers can see the entire face and they know ur reapplying and they may even want the look which means sales. I still wouldn't suggest applying a full face at work though. Try this, apply at home for the first week and after you get a feel for your new job ask ur manager if this type of thing is taboo.

TISH1124

Yeah, Until I got a feel for the place I would go in already made up....But just ask them which do they prefer...if you guys come with your MU already on or if they prefer you do it when you get there.

honesty

Quote:
Maybe she thinks its cool because she's been there for awhile. I see one or two MUA reapplying their MU while working when I go to MAC, and I think that's cool, because customers can see the entire face and they know ur reapplying and they may even want the look which means sales. I still wouldn't suggest applying a full face at work though. Try this, apply at home for the first week and after you get a feel for your new job ask ur manager if this type of thing is taboo.

Well, that same employee also happens to never touch up her make up at work so her eye shadows is always creased and I've never seen her with lip products on.. Haha I'll definitely do what you suggested and see how it goes. Thanks!

honesty

Quote:
Ur Welcome, Good Luck and Congrats on the Job!

Thank you!

honesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
Yeah, Until I got a feel for the place I would go in already made up....But just ask them which do they prefer...if you guys come with your MU already on or if they prefer you do it when you get there.

Thanks, that's what I'll do!

honesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerJenny
I'm pretty much 100% sure that it's supposed to be done before you get to the store/counter

Yeah I wasn't sure if there was an official policy regarding that. Thanks!

babyjazy21

I guess its different from counter to counter??
At my counter most of us go like 15 mins before our shift and apply our makeup there. Most of us already have everything on except for eyeshadow and lips.

MacNeill59

I've been with MAC for over 2 years now, and trust me, do it at home. Some people may touch up, or completely begin their makeup at the store, and while they may not be punished for it, Trust me, people don't like it and they take notice of it. Also, even if you set time aside and get there early, they may expect you to start early, which is annoying too. Just make it a habit of doing your makeup before you get there. No one will think its weird; they will think you are prepared and ready to work.

honesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyjazy21
I guess its different from counter to counter??
At my counter most of us go like 15 mins before our shift and apply our makeup there. Most of us already have everything on except for eyeshadow and lips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNeill59
I've been with MAC for over 2 years now, and trust me, do it at home. Some people may touch up, or completely begin their makeup at the store, and while they may not be punished for it, Trust me, people don't like it and they take notice of it. Also, even if you set time aside and get there early, they may expect you to start early, which is annoying too. Just make it a habit of doing your makeup before you get there. No one will think its weird; they will think you are prepared and ready to work.

Thanks for the input guys!

I actually do see myself putting on about 80% of my make up at home and finishing it at work because I only have 25 eyeshadows and a handful of pigments and I might need something that I don't have at home to complete the look. Also, I'm a full time student and I know that one day out of the week, I'll have to go in after class and I can't wear a full face to college. Hopefully, it won't be a problem!

baybehbekah

the only thing that i apply when i get to work is lipstick and i get there early to do so.
you know everyone at my counter has had their days where something happened and they need to put their face on at work but it's not encouraged. even freelancers come in with a full face, they might add lipstick when they get to counter but they are full face ready to go.
when i started at mac i had less than 25 eye shadows, you'll be able to make it happen! you also get welcome gratis when you start and that should jump start you
smiles.gif

BEA2LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by honesty

I actually do see myself putting on about 80% of my make up at home and finishing it at work because I only have 25 eyeshadows and a handful of pigments and I might need something that I don't have at home to complete the look. Also, I'm a full time student and I know that one day out of the week, I'll have to go in after class and I can't wear a full face to college. Hopefully, it won't be a problem!

Hello, good luck with your job
smiles.gif

I just wonder why you don't think you can wear a full fact to college? College is a great place to experiment with different looks!

jdepp_84

Quote:
Originally Posted by honesty

Maybe you should think of carrying those MAC makeup remover whipes and just remove a little...cuz yeah its kind of weird when you go all made up. If its like a night class then dont even worry about it cuz most people work during the day so they go all dressy and stuff (At least the classes I took were like that). this lady worked at like some kind of fairy something place, she always went in with all these super awesome flowers and super sparkly make up on. So cool.
yes.gif

ms.marymac

I always do mine at home. You never know when someone will be using the current collections for an appointment when you get there. You don't want to walk up the the other MA and customer with half your makeup on and ask for it. lol. If you are just starting and need to come in early and do your makeup because you do not have the required colors, I don't think it's a big deal, I've seen it happen a million times. Just make sure you have your belt on and are ready to go on time!
smiles.gif

Edited to add, it should be done in the back! We are really not supposed to do our makeup at the counter.

calbear

You might want to check with your new manager - some counters/stores have explicit rules against getting made up at the counter. My old manager (who is now the MRO for the region) dictated that you were not allowed to put anything on once at work. Even if there was a look that you didnt have a product, you better fake it and come in with a full face. She would write you up. Most aren't that stringent but it doesn't hurt to ask before hand.

shorty

I only do it at work when theres a look that contains a product that I dont own or cant replicate, or say I really want to wear a lippy that I dont own, I always get to work really early just in case theres something I need to touch up (watery eyes from waiting for the bus usually!!) I would never go in without a full base on though!