Do You Change Colors in Foundation

JGunnar

Depending on what product you use? For instance normally I'm a NC45 but today I wanted to try the Studio Fluid and the MU gave me NW43 and said it's normal to change between foundations because MAC doesn't stay true to it's color system. When I got home I looked at it closer and it looked kinda mask-ish on me like it doesn't quite match my skin color. I want to take it back tommorrow and see if the NC45 looks better. But, I'm just wondering if what she said is true for anyone else.

jessiekins1

flourecent lighting is terrible to tell those kinds of things. things never look the same at home as they do in the store.

ledonatella

Yeah, in the MAC concealers I'm NC20 but I have to use Med-Dark Blot Powder. I know it's not really supposed to give much color but I like a little so I go darker. In Studio Fix the MAC MA gave me C3 and it was way too light & yellow when I got home, which was fine cause it broke me out anyway so I swapped it.

bluegrassbabe

It varies a bit for me. The lightest shade I've worn was NC20 in the SFF. In other MAC foundations I range from NC25 to NC30, and 300 in Hyperreals.

bellaetoile

ohh yes.
i have moistureblend in nc44, studio tech in nc42, studio fix compacts in nc40 and nc40, studio fix fluid in nc37 and nc42, matte finish foundation in nw44, full coverage in c4, hyper real in 400, and select spf 15 in nc42. plus, i also vary between seasons, and whether or not i've been tanning.

lianna

I think it's very silly that they do that, why not just standardize the shades so that it's easier to find what matches?

LadyLaundale

I also range differently depending on which foundation I'm using and how tan my face is at any given time. And whether I want to contour with my foundation. I also range differently with their concealors, from NW35, up to NC44.

Studio Fix Fluid - NW40 & NW35 (which is a little to light )
Studio Fix, Select Tint, & Studio Tech - NC43
Hyperreal Liquid- 500 & 600

I think you may find the NC45 will be too yellow. Try experiementing with samples, or going outside during the color-match process to get some natural light. The lighting at MAC always emphasizes all the flaws in my face, i.e scars, excess hair and discoulouration. I hate that about their lighting. They really should make an effort to get more complimentary lighting. If the dressing rooms can get skinny mirrors, why can't MAC get beautiful lighting?

cruz_kitten

i use nw15/nc 15 in sff, n4 in my studio fix powder and nw20 for select cover-up. my face all kinds of reds/pinks & flesh so i hafta have different colors. works for me and never comes out looking cakey, i hate that!!

pugmommy7

i am always between a nw 20 and nw25 and have been so forever.(in stick,hyperreal,sff,tinted,etc...whatever else I am a medium-i.e. blot powder msf etc.)
i mix the two in between.
hth.

mactard

yes it is very common.

it's not that it's different on purpose... but powders are always going to be lighter than creams/liquids. for example.. sand is lighter than mud. same concept. depending on how emollient a product is, it'll be darker.

i wear c4 in studio fix, nc 42 in pressed powder, nc 40 in most liquids, and nw35 in studio fix fluid (this foundation runs orange)

tiramisu

well, seeing as I am so pale, I switch from NW15 to NW20 in the summer/fall, until the crappy cold harsh winter makes me lose any and all color. But it seems to be pretty standard on my (pale) end of the spectrum..supremely-pale, or just pale

mellimello

Argh I have to change all the time. I'm an N4 in Studio Fix, NC/NW20 in SFF (I have to mix them together to even get close to a color I can wear), NC25 in Moistureblend, NW20 in Select Tint & in Studio Matte I'm an NC20.

Its annoying >:O

mjalomo

I agree with everyone here. I have very yellow undertones, and still think my studiofix liquid is too yellow on me. I feel like every time I'm outdoors (vacation, gardening, etc.), I hope and pray my foundation will still work on me when I wake up the next day. By winter, teaching under florescent lights makes me need a winter set of foundations. No matter how perfectly my foundation matches my skin, in a month I will need to switch it to a new shade or mix my own.