Do you "Fish Face"?

COBI

I do not mean to offend anyone, but will someone please explain the "fish face" (maybe aka the kiss face?) that so many people do both here in FOTD and in their myspace photos?

I just don't get the appeal of this particular face pose, but would love to know why the people choose it.
th_dunno.gif

I think one of the reason it drives me insane is because of association: the first people I making this face were young and trashy-ish girls (late teens) and so now that's the connection I associate it with. I am not saying the people who make are young & trashy, just that they were the first I saw making this face on a regular basis years ago.

Anyone want to give me a different view on the appeal of the face? When you look at pictures of that face, do you think "damn, that looks good?"

Thanks for any insight.
winks.gif

jillianjiggs

my speculations:

1) makes you look ~sexi~
2) or playful - smiling or looking serious all the time gets boring, so some people throw in a new look which is playful/flirty/fun for photos
3) it can make your face look thinner
4) as for fotds, maybe to show off their lip gloss?
5) when everyone else is doing it ....

GlossyAbby

I think its just a funny face to make. I am guilty of it in quite a few pictures....but then again I make a lot of silly faces when I drink alcohol....

gigglegirl

LOL I totally was mistaken when I read the thread title. I thought you were just asking if we used the fish face (and my opinion just for makeup application of blush).

So no, I don't do it in any pictures, just on my own for blush application
smiles.gif

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillianjiggs
my speculations:

1) makes you look ~sexi~
2) or playful - smiling or looking serious all the time gets boring, so some people throw in a new look which is playful/flirty/fun for photos
3) it can make your face look thinner
4) as for fotds, maybe to show off their lip gloss?
5) when everyone else is doing it ....

I kinda agree...lol. I do it a lot in my pictures. It makes my face look skinnier. I hate my smile. Its one of the only faces I can make that makes me look pretty. I just do it!

MiCHiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigglegirl
LOL I totally was mistaken when I read the thread title. I thought you were just asking if we used the fish face (and my opinion just for makeup application of blush).

So no, I don't do it in any pictures, just on my own for blush application
smiles.gif

I thought she meant that, too. That's about the only time that face should be made, LOL. Everytime I see someone doing it, it reminds me of a toddler attempting a kiss or Austin Powers.

FullWroth

I don't get the kissy face thing either. It looks kinda gross to me (sorry girls! I still like your makeup skillz!), for both the reasons mentioned above (and probably more, but I can't think of them right now). You are not alone.

user79

This is one of my huge peeves, I can't stand that face, I don't think it looks sexy or appealing at all, quite the opposite in fact.

kokometro

I made that face in a picture in 8th grade. (Yep.. 1980). I gave it to my mom and she told me I looked like prostitute and she never wanted to see that face in a picture again. OK..I might have been warped by that, but I still don't think it's becoming. I don't think it makes your face look skinnier either.
I'd rather see a pretty smile, not your conture powder. Just 2cents.

Moonspell

Personally, I’m not a big fan of the fish face, but also don’t bother me who use to do it.
What I really can’t stand are people showing great makeup and at the same time bad oral hygiene. That really annoys me! *eeek*
yucky.gif

newagetomatoz

I just really hate my picture being taken, so I try to make an obnoxious face--hence the fishy face! I'm so horrible! LOL

But seriously, I did it once or twice and when I noticed (or someone made a comment) that all the really sluttly girls I knew made that face in pictures, it made me stop it real quick. Now, I associate that face with those girls. *shudder*

itsJADEbiitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantAffordMAC
I kinda agree...lol. I do it a lot in my pictures. It makes my face look skinnier. I hate my smile. Its one of the only faces I can make that makes me look pretty. I just do it!

true.gif

chocolategoddes

i'm okay with girls doing it. itd hard to avoid. it is annoying when they do the gang signs with it. LAME!!!
I also think its away for girls to look cute and silly at the same time. a lot of girls do it because they seem too afraid to just go ahead and make a REALLY stupid, funny face. If I make the face its to make fun of them or for myspace pics with my friends.

hello_kitty

I'm on a huge silly face thing in pictures of me lately... I hate my teeth, so I don't smile with my mouth open, so I normally look angry... so I've started making silly faces.

SparklingWaves

I thought everyone was doing it to make their lips look injected or imitating Angelina Jolie.

From the title, I thought this was going to be a fish drawn by a makeup artist on someone's face with makeup.

I am so out of touch with reality. Pardon my ignorance.

I am all clear headed now. Well - at least, momentarily-

Thanks to everyone for the clarification.