Do you have a "MAC radar?"

cno64

Recently someone in the Sugarsweet collection discussion mentioned having "an internal MAC radar" that indicates what MAC products are the ones to buy.
Now, everyone who's been "into MAC" for longer than about a week, and frequents this site, knows about MAC's frequent and fabulous LE collections.
Asuming that you're not a "just-buy-everything" person, do you also have a "MAC radar" that alerts you to the products that you'll really love?
Since I'm disabled, and can't go to a store or counter to see the products in person, I've had to develop a pretty good "MAC-dar" so I can order online, sight unseen, in many cases before I've seen photos or read reviews.
It's not perfect, but fairly accurate. I've jumped on some products that I ended up absolutely loving, and that have sold out pretty quickly.
Hits:
Wild 'Bout You lipstick
Rocking Chick lipstick
Port Red lipstick
Hollywood Nights lipstick
Lovemate lipstick
Queen's Sin lipstick
Pomposity lipstick
Lavender Whip lipstick
Rapturous lipstick
Dazzleglasses, especially Funtabulous and Love Alert
French Grey eyeshadow
Shore Leave eyeshadow
Arctic Grey eyeshadow
Clue eyeshadow
Smoke & Diamonds eyeshadow
Accent Red pigment
Goldenaire pigment
Subtle pigment
Helium pigment
Circa Plum pigment
Blonde's Gold pigment
Almost Missed/Passed On:
Sunnydaze pigment
Shimmertime pigment
Don't Be Shy blush
Magnetic Fields eyeshadow
Viz a Violet pigment
Pleasantry blush
Snowscene Lipglass
AND ONE BIIIG MISTAKE:
Coco pigment!

I was just getting into MAC when I glimpsed this one on the site. At the time, I wasn't into anything brown at all, so I gave it a pass. I'm still mad at myself!
th_wallbash.gif

Misses/Things my radar told me to buy, but that I ended up not liking:
Turquatic eyeshadow
Idol Eyes eyeshadow
Pink Maribu lipstick
House of Style lipstick
Sweet Sienna pigment
How about everyone else?

vocaltest

I can always tell what new products will be the most popular for some reason.

I've learnt not to go off raves of products now because most of them I never really like when I get them... thats not saying everyones reviews/raves are bad, but I've learnt what suits me/I know will love if that makes sense?! So yes I do have a MAC radar haha.

MrsRjizzle

I think after you have been following MAC for a while you are able to gather which products are hot or not.... How original they are. How long its been since a color similer. Textures, a ton of things... but you girls know what I mean... so Dido on the Radar
smiles.gif

bebeflamand

I'm pretty confident about colours, product type and product finishes that work for me and which don't. Usually seeing some pictures and swatches give me a pretty good idea of what it'll look like on me. The products I usually like are not always the most popular products, but I follow my 'instincts' and I haven't really been disappointed yet (and not just MAC).

coachkitten

I for sure have a MAC radar but it has taken me years to perfect. I am pretty good at knowing what is going to be popular and what is going to look the best on me.

abbyquack

I feel like I tend to gravitate towards products that are not the most popular from collections. It's kinda weird, lol. So no I don't really have a MAC-dar. But I almost always like the things I choose
smiles.gif

iadoremac

I guess I do have a MAC-dar because i automatically know if a colour would suit me by reading the descriptions or looking at them.

-moonflower-

Yeah I think I've got a pretty good one. I've only had one or two regrettable purchases from MAC and I'm still able to make them work a little.

I think mine has gotten good because I'm a broke student who can't afford to buy a product unless I'm certain I'll like it!

palatial

Totally have it. It took me about six or seven months worth of collections and reading up on mac here and on livejournal before I started to figure everything out...now I know exactly what I want even online, and I can usually tell what's going to be a big hit and will sell out quickly haha.
tong.gif

Although I have to admit I totally didn't see Lavender Whip coming...never thought that would be so popular!!

gigiopolis

Nah I don't have it. That's why I rely on fellow Specktra members and other resources for their "MAC radar" so I can figure out what to buy. I always do extensive research before purchasing anything.

Fataliya

No, I don't have MAC-dar.

However, I've just started using MAC, so at this point, I pretty much want it all, lol.

Susanne

I do have a MAC radar for myself
winks.gif

If we get news about an upcoming color story it is enough to read the colour descriptions and I know at once what I want
winks.gif

My wishlist usually does not change until I get the products in real!
smiles.gif

nursie

no radar here. im only able to pick out what appeals to me and for sure cant predict what will be massively popular. for instance, lavendar lipstick will never be on my lips
smiles.gif

GlitterGeet

I have it so I'll usually get the item that is going to go fast first and hold off on the other items for a later time because I know they will not be in popular demand. =)

GlamQueen21

I do have it and sometimes I do regret buying items that I really don't want (i.e Pink Platinum Metal-X Shadow) and I buy items that everyone raves about and items that I'm aiming for.

MAC_Whore

I would definitely say that I have MAC-dar, but I think you all can guess how I voted in the poll! lol

kyuubified

Products that I like and products that are popular don't seem to mesh. I don't own very many l/e stuff, except for the HK collection. "Fashion Mews" was apparently a big hit, but I still didn't buy it; pale lavender/purple colors do not work for me. So I guess I have a horrible MAC radar, haha.

sweeteternity

I do think I have MAC radar - a lot of that has to do with being a student and lacking a bunch of money to buy full LE collections.

I typically have to pick and choose what I want so I have to consider things carefully, and it just so happened that a lot of what I've picked ended up being popular.

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeteternity

I typically have to pick and choose what I want so I have to consider things carefully, and it just so happened that a lot of what I've picked ended up being popular.

I always feel incredibly fortunate when that happens, when I look at a collection early in the day that it launches online, see some items that "call" to me, immediately click "Add to bag," and then just a day or two later those items are very difficult to get because everyone else has "caught on."
I most recently had that happen with Lavender Whip lipstick; in an odd way I almost feel like a member of an exclusive club, because I got that one at retail.
greengrin.gif

The same kind of thing happened with Queen's Sin and Port Red lipsticks, and Smoke & Diamonds eyeshadow.
I love my MAC-dar!
love.gif