Do you think Women's mags negatively influence women?

Shadowy Lady

^^ lol exactly what I was saying in my post. I thought an hourglass figure was considered curvy, based on chest/hips ratio.

Kim Cardashian, Catherine Zeta Jones are the only two I can think of on top of my head who are curvy. Ppl like Miley Cyrus, Camilla Belle and Megan Fox are nowhere near that, maybe they want to be though...since now curcy seems to be a "cool" thing! haha...

summerskin

I don't get insecure by mags, because I know that models are skinny. I do get insecure when people call other people fat when they're like UK size 12.

LMD84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy Lady
^^ lol exactly what I was saying in my post. I thought an hourglass figure was considered curvy, based on chest/hips ratio.

Kim Cardashian, Catherine Zeta Jones are the only two I can think of on top of my head who are curvy. Ppl like Miley Cyrus, Camilla Belle and Megan Fox are nowhere near that, maybe they want to be though...since now curcy seems to be a "cool" thing! haha...

catherine zeta jones is the perfect example of curvy!

and i like miley but lordy if she think's she's curvy something is very wrong somewhere!!

Ursula

I would submit that the media in general has a huge effect on how women view themselves and also on how men view women and what they expect. As a photographer, I can tell you that those flawless women with perfect everything are photoshopped to look that way so it's not even based on a real possibility. I certainly find myself comparing from time to time. I think we'd be very odd if we didn't do that at some point or other. That said, when I was in my teens and twenties, I didn't even realize that I did this. Age had taught me a few things and one of them is that people tend to hide a lot of what they believe to be true deep down. We hide it from others and we hide it from ourselves. Whether we recognize it or not, it's there in some form or other.

L1LMAMAJ

yes. i think the magazines do influence women negatively in some way. they should put some real women in it. you know, from size xs to xl. but for some reason, we keep going back and reading those magazines. it's like a drug.

Ruby_Woo

I think it really depends on the person's self esteem. If you have a good self esteem and love yourself regardless of your size, a magazine wont affect you. If you already have a low self esteem, then its not an issue with the magazine at all.

Also I will have to respectfully disagree with the arguement of "real women" I don't know that they aren't real just because they're xs. There is nothing wrong with being that small as long as the person is happy. I mean, with the average american being overweight, skinny celebrities are obviously not really having THAT much of an effect. I think its crazy that people claim that magazines and TV add pressure to regular people, yet, america has the most overweight people.

I personally, am realistic and know that these women get paid to look like that. I get "inspiration" from them to look my best, within my comfort and ability. I don't aspire to be a stick, but I do want to be healthy. Being skinny doesnt mean fake, just like being big doesnt mean extra real.

Once we stop this animosity between each other, and start to support each other as women, is when the whole "pressure" and weight insecurities will go away.

snkatha

I have to disagree with you when you say that skinny models and mags don't have an effect on women. While i can understand that one's self esteem before is important, i've to add that it still affects you. The fact that you look to skinny celebs for inspiration is already an effect. As for americans being overweight, you've to admit though that it's frowned upon with overweight women being victimised. These are still effects. I agree with you though that the animosity should stop. Being xs is not considered the regular womans body because the average woman is a size 12 uk size and even a 14. The size zero is a large minority that's used to rate the majority.

snkatha

Plus, sometimes i think this whole size zero thing is a phase. In the past marilyn monroe was a sex symbol. Then it went to people like kate moss. Now slowly scarlett johansson's starting to be appreciated as sexy and skinny celebs are calling themselves 'curvy'. Methinks there's a revolution coming up.

Lauren1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkatha
Plus, sometimes i think this whole size zero thing is a phase. In the past marilyn monroe was a sex symbol. Then it went to people like kate moss. Now slowly scarlett johansson's starting to be appreciated as sexy and skinny celebs are calling themselves 'curvy'. Methinks there's a revolution coming up.

i concur.
marilyn was a size 14.
beyonce has become a huge sex symbol now and on average she's a 10.

Latest posts