Doctors save man's life using IV vodka drip

redambition

from the sydney morning herald: http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...695979288.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney Morning Herald
Vodka drip saves poisoned tourist
October 10, 2007 - 5:19PM

Australian doctors used an intravenous feed of vodka to keep an Italian tourist alive after he consumed large quantities of a poisonous substance.

The 24-year-old man, in an apparent bid at self-harm, had swallowed ethylene glycol, found in antifreeze, which can cause death.

Doctors administered pure alcohol, the conventional antidote, but exhausted the hospital's supply.

Desperate to continue the treatment the doctors at Mackay Base Hospital in Queensland state hooked up an intravenous feed of vodka, hospital officials said.

"The patient was drip-fed about three standard drinks an hour for three days in the intensive care unit," Todd Fraser said in a statement on Wednesday.

"Fortunately for him he was in a medically induced coma for a good portion of that. By the time he woke up I think his hangover would have well and truly gone," Dr Fraser said.

"The hospital's administrators were also very understanding when we explained our reasons for buying a case of vodka."

The Italian man was treated in the hospital two months ago and has since made a successful recovery. News of his treatment was released only on Wednesday.

Reuters

ok, so now we know for sure that it is possible to imbibe vodka via IV drip. brilliant!

also good thinking on the part of the doctors to improvise and continue treatment when they ran out of ethanol.

MAC_Whore

I agree, good thinking on the part of the docs.

One question: Could I also add to my IV some pomegranate juice, Orangina and a twist of lemon?

kaliraksha

mmm pom, orangina and a twist of lemon? is that something entirely made up, but delicious?

What I find funny is that they were able to go buy a case of vodka, but not a case of ethanol?

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliraksha
mmm pom, orangina and a twist of lemon? is that something entirely made up, but delicious?

What I find funny is that they were able to go buy a case of vodka, but not a case of ethanol?

pure (medical grade) ethanol is not something that's exactly easy to purchase here, especially in quantities like those doctors needed.
smiles.gif

added to the fact that Mackay is a fairly isolated town, the doctors were probably looking at a delay to replacement ethanol being shipped in, whereas i suppose the nearest bottle shop would have been happy to oblige.
winks.gif

i'm loving your drink recipes MAC_Whore... i'm getting thirsty.

Kuuipo

We use something called A5W during surgery, to keep alcoholics from going through delerium . Within a few to three days after their last drink, alcoholics-or even people dependant on what they report as "three drinks a day" can experience extremely high blood pressures and even fatal seizures during withdrawl. While the alert,oriented alcohol dependant person experiences anxiety, the unconscious person has the same symptoms!The longer a person is alcohol dependant, the more debilitated their liver, and it takes even less amounts of alcohol to prevent them from withdrawl-unlike opiates. (People taking things like vicodin or xycotin prior to surgery have a lower pain tolerance and need higher doses of pain medicine OR can expect more pain post operatively because of their dependance.
People who are withdrawling from tranquilizers like xanax,klonopin,tranxene,talwin,alprazolam,valium (diazapam) or ativan may experience seizures /withdrawl-similar to alcoholics.

Kuuipo

Ethylene Glycol or anti freeze used as poison-is dose dependant and toxic to both the liver and kidneys. It also requires something called mukomist (smells like rotten eggs) and dialysis as well. Antifreeze is a wel known poison to dogs and cats. It is sweet and tastes like pancake syrup.

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuuipo
We use something called A5W during surgery, to keep alcoholics from going through delerium . Within a few to three days after their last drink, alcoholics-or even people dependant on what they report as "three drinks a day" can experience extremely high blood pressures and even fatal seizures during withdrawl. While the alert,oriented alcohol dependant person experiences anxiety, the unconscious person has the same symptoms!The longer a person is alcohol dependant, the more debilitated their liver, and it takes even less amounts of alcohol to prevent them from withdrawl-unlike opiates. (People taking things like vicodin or xycotin prior to surgery have a lower pain tolerance and need higher doses of pain medicine OR can expect more pain post operatively because of their dependance.
People who are withdrawling from tranquilizers like xanax,klonopin,tranxene,talwin,alprazolam,valium (diazapam) or ativan may experience seizures /withdrawl-similar to alcoholics.

yeah - it's not good about the pain meds. my bf is in constant, chronic pain, but has his painkillers really restricted to try and prevent that problem as he's waiting for the final diagnosis and can then get surgery to correct it scheduled.

i have a worse problem - my body is naturally resilient to anaesthetics. the last time i had teeth pulled i got given the maximum dose and i could still feel what was going on, and the last time i had a local in my arm i could also feel a bit of what was happening.
ssad.gif

Latest posts