Does anyone else have discoloration on the ferrule of thier MAC brushes?

RoxyJ

Hi all I have a weird phenomena happening to my MAC brushes.
I seems as if some of my MAC brushes have started to discolor (rust? corrosion?) on the metal part. I use mac brush cleaner, and baby shampoo to wash them. I also touch-up between washes with wet-wipes. (been doing this forever). Just recently I have noticed this. Anyone else? (my 217 is the worst on affected)

User38

I have never had any issues with the ferrules on my MACs.. did you get these from MAC directly?

are you using anything acidic or storing them somewhere where they could rust.. or maybe when drying letting the water drip into the heads?

never heard this one before... sorry.

RoxyJ

No... I haven't done anything different than my usual cleaning and storing. The discolration seems to be on the outside surface of the metal, nowhere near the bristles. It could be a reaction to something (doesn't seem rough like rust). I tried to polish it with a little bit of toothpaste (lol) and it seemed to buff out a little bit (but not completely) I didn;t want to damage them so I didn't try anything stronger (like polishing compound).

LMD84

sadly i have not had any issues like this with my brushes either and i wash them with the same stuff you do.

.Ice

Yes, i've noticed this happening with my brushes too. I've tried rubbing alcohol to get the discoloration off but it doesn't really work. Guess we'll have to just deal :(

RoxyJ

I wonder if it's the wet wipes?
I scrubbed my least favourite brush with a bit of toothpaste to polish it, and it seemed to help a bit. I'm not quite brave enough to use the toothpaste on my 217 yet.