Dominican Salons....is Dominican the new black?

User38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly1908
^What the hell are u talking about?

yahoo.gif
yahoo.gif
thmbup.gif
LOLOLOL.. yea, beats me too.. it sounds like BS to me
yahoo.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Nepenthe

There's a salon in Toronto that I've heard about.. but after too many salon mishaps I'm very hesitant to let anyone near my hair. I trim it myself and I don't do much else to it.

The only two women that ever did right by my hair were Greek and Italian.. and sadly the one is about 3 hours away, and the other retired. V_V

Superkaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran
This. I agree completely - it seems kind of pointless to compare salons according to their ethnic background rather than other factors that are obviously better indicators of the quality of hair care (e.g. qualifications of stylists, price, technique especially) rather than random stories. Because then I think people will be better informed about how to find the best salon and what to look for rather than making blanket judgments...but then this could just be me

This thread never had a chance with the title the thread starter chose!
Someone was bound to be offended....

Dominikanmorena

as a dominican woman and licensed professional I must say that we come in all colors and hair textures, which is why we are so good at dealing with hair. We know how to handle all types. The specialty is def hair straightening. I do not recommend getting a cut at a dominican salon unless you planning on cutting alot off. They tend to get scissor happy lol...I myself do. I'm not saying ALL are but def most. They also have amazing conditioners/treatments. So if ur looking to have straight, conditioned hair...hit up the dominican salons.

Bella75

You guys should try the new dominican salon in oxon hill md. they are having a 15.00 off for their grand opening month

Reflexion Dominican Salon
6236B Oxon Hill Rd
Oxon Hill MD 20745
301-567-1530

DaniCakes

Very interesting thread. I'm from Chicago and I've never seen a Dominican salon anywhere in my neck of the woods. I usually go to the Egyptians to get my natural hair straightened and styled. The hair dryers will make you scream but your hair will be flawlessly straight and silky. I wouldn't recommend getting your hair blow dryed more than once a month with those fiery blow dryers. They will damage your hair eventually.

lenchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesicaElana
The same way you wouldn't go to any black salon to get a relaxer, you wouldn't go to any Dominican salon for a doobie because they're not all equal. Many of them use natural products that are much better for your hair than American name brands and many of them don't have labeled products. The best thing to do is to get recommendations on salons from people who frequent them. Just because people rave about Dominican salons doesn't mean they're all great. But if for no other reason, good Dominican salons are the way to go because they use very natural products. My favorite is "canela" which is cinnamon extract or something that stimulates your roots. Amazing.

Very True. Personally, I love the one I go to now. I have been going there for over ten years now. I missed the one I went to when I lived in Tampa because I never experienced the long( all day) wait times like the one I go to here in NY.

Lottascarlatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominikanmorena
as a dominican woman and licensed professional I must say that we come in all colors and hair textures, which is why we are so good at dealing with hair. We know how to handle all types. The specialty is def hair straightening. I do not recommend getting a cut at a dominican salon unless you planning on cutting alot off. They tend to get scissor happy lol...I myself do. I'm not saying ALL are but def most. They also have amazing conditioners/treatments. So if ur looking to have straight, conditioned hair...hit up the dominican salons.

Perfect! Everything you just said. I'm also Dominican and have spent way too much money and time in Dominican salons. My cuts are exclusives with higher end stylists because my last Dominican stylist cut "layers" by running a scissor blade -"razor style", across the strands around my face - and called that done. The conditioners however are AMAZING!

Indigo

I agree. I am naturally curly(3a, 3c) and they use entirely too much heat and they do pull your hair. I lost 6 inches from my hair and I will NEVER return to one. I even heard one said that I had bad hair in Spanish (I guess they assumed I wouldn't understand them). Just be careful because one of my girlfriends actually saw a Dominican stylist use joy dish washing liquid on a client's hair when she ran out of "shampoo." As a future cosmetology student, it is disheartening to hear that black women dislike black stylist. Some of you sound no different than black men that dog out black women constantly, no disrespect. It make me sad because not all black owned salons are like that. I usually see those types in undesirable neighborhoods. If the Dominicans to take over the "black hair care industry, " I will be forced to work and cater to white upscale salons, especially if I don't have the support of my own people, I have to make a living too. Just continue to support black salons but not the ones that you have to wait all day and the ones that overbook themselves, I wouldn't want to wait all day either.

chicgator

Hi, I just saw your post. I am moving to Gainesville from Broward and need a stylist that can work on my frizzy, unrully, long hair. Please give me your recommendations. Thank you.

Fiberluver

I had my hair done at a Dominican salon this year and loved the results.

The upkeep, however, was too much since I wear my hair natural.

Its been natural for 5 years now & I'd forgotten how much work straight hair is. Guess I've gotten lazy with the wash & go.

I would most definitely have this done to my hair on special occasions but not on a regular basis.

Pin curling it every night was a chore - I'm not good at it & the shower cap and trying to stay away from water was annoying!

Gorgeous results though!

notso

I do not agree just like anything you truly care about first you investigate ask questions go take a look at that stylist work then make a educated decision. To much heat on the hair at a high temperature is also very harmful no matter what the end results look like immediately after the service it can be deceiving for a short period of time.

It takes several months to detect the damage to you hair because of the sprays etc. For healthy hair make sure they are using professional products no matter who it is. Without the right shampoos and conditioner you could eventually end up in the same situation just a longer period of time for the damage to show up. Lets not put every one in the same box because of color its what you know and your experience that counts.

over 15 years of product knowledge working with stylist all over the country with products and educated on the make up of hair.

HOPE THIS WAS HELPFUL

rebecabel

Is the Dominican lady in gainesville? I am desperately looking for someone Dominican who can do a wash and set out here! Thanks!

mosha010

Lol. Nobody needs to be offended. Dominican women tend to have coarser and curlier hair just like black women. That's all. In fact a lot of Caribbean women have curly coarse hair so the usual hair salon is a no go. Mainly cause they won't pull as hard or know to put you in curlers before blowing out your hair.... Beeeennnn thhheeerreeee. Plus the gossip is awesome and you can literally get your nails done AS your hair gets done :) I'm Colombian but I go Dominican all the way.

Latest posts