Don't know if my girlfriends are right...(long post)

bustaboo

I'm apologizing in advance for the extremely long post. I don't blame you if you've opened the thread and gone "Oh HELLLL no!" and moved on to another thread straight away.

I've been with my boyfriend for a year and a half now. He's Muslim and I'm Christian - but we respect each others religious differences and opinions.

My family love him and have no problem with him, and he's the first boyfriend I've ever had that has treated me right. He is so respectful and always wants what's best for me. I couldn't fault him.

The only issue with our relationship is that his parents don't know about me. I have met his sister and she knows about us, but the parents have no clue.

In the first few months we started dating I didn't mind that. Then after about 6 months it started getting to me, but I didn't want to say anything because I didn't want to pressure him. I was scared he would leave me if his parents didn't approve. He knew something was wrong and we had a big discussion about it which put my mind at ease. He told me he is dying to tell them but he's waiting for the right moment. And if they didn't approve, it would not stop him seeing me. He said even if they didn't like the idea of him being with someone who is not of the same descent/religion they would still respect that it is his decision and his life. They can only give their guidance in what they think is right.

In his culture, you introduce a girl to your family if you're going to marry her. Him waiting for the right moment and time to tell his parents I something I totally understand (it took me 4 months to tell my parents, and he met my entire family at my 21st birthday party). I know it would be a hard thing to do, especially in a Muslim family and especially because his parents are pretty old-school. I also know that when they do find out and I start getting to know his immediate family and then relatives that it's not going to be easy. But we're prepared to deal with it.

His mother left for overseas December last year for a holiday to visit relatives. His father was supposed to go too but couldn't due to some health problems he had to take care of. She was supposed to be coming back soon but turns out she might be coming back in August (I won't bore with the details on that part) and his dad will be joining her there soon.

This is driving him nuts because he was planning to tell them when they both were back here in Australia and he thought it would be Feb/March. I know a year and a half is a long time and he knows this too, he just wants everything to be perfect for us. It will be a huge weight off his shoulders when he eventually does because this bothers him just as much.

Anyway, that's our situation - but here's the problem: My girlfriends. Well, not all of them...it's really just 2 out of the bunch.

These girlfriends are also work colleagues. I consider them my very close friends because I see them and spend time with them every day from 7:30am to 5pm. We also socialize outside of work, we have get togethers and are always there for each other.

They are shocked that I haven't met his parents yet and don't understand why. They are all Australian (born here, Caucasian, don't know a lot about other cultures) and I was born here too but my background is Anglo Indian - so my parents and all of my Aunties and Uncles are from India. Our culture is kind of similar to my boyfriends as in respecting your parents, looking after your family first and so on. Please don't think I'm saying Caucasians aren't like that either or that they're disrespectful, I just mean certain things in our cultures are very different. So I can understand why my friends don't get it.

I constantly get crap from them though. They think that it's really bad that I haven't met them yet and think my boyfriend doesn't respect me enough to tell his folks about me. They pretty much think our relationship is BS because of this. Whenever I talk about him they reply with "BUT you haven't met his family yet" and then the same questions over and over again "OMG why haven't you met them yet?" "how long have you been dating now?" "that's really bad!". It upsets me so much because of they way they talk about it (and I know they talk about it behind my back) they talk to me like I should leave him because of it - that is not something I would do by the way. But then they're like "we're only saying this because we care about you and worry". I feel like my relationship with him is like a private joke amongst themselves.

My boyfriend knows it upsets me and then he gets upset because to him, it's his fault that I have to put up with comments and crap and that's the last thing he wants. He hates knowing they talk about me behind my back because of him. He has met them before, they all seem to like him. But then the way they talk to me about him makes me think otherwise.

Do they have a point? or is it just cultural differences?

I know this is a huge novel of a post, but it was so much I had to get off my chest and I didn't want to leave anything important out and not give you guys the whole story
ssad.gif

Junkie

It was a long post but you explained everything perfectly
smiles.gif

Your friends seem to be telling you the things anyone who didn't understand would. You can view their thoughts as genuine, albeit maybe a bit ignorant to the situation as a whole because of the cultural differences. Have you ever taken the time to explain and educate them? If they don't understand, I could see that as the reasoning behind their constant negative comments. However, could jealousy play a factor as well?

I know myself that not meeting friends and family could raise a red flag and make me doubt the relationship, but your relationship is different. Do they know atleast that he's dating someone? Or is dating prohibited? If they knew that it could be a good ice-breaker. Has he ever asked his parents how they would feel about a mixed race/mixed religion relationship? This would better gauge their reactions without actually telling them.

Regardless, I don't think your friends have any business talking about your relationship in those terms. You should definately sit them down and tell them to either listen and understand from both points of view or ignore it altogether and mind their own business. Stress from them will only plant more seeds of doubt in your head and possibly cause un-needed tension in your relationship with your boyfriend.

If anything, he could tell them over the phone to give them time to think about it while they're gone. Face to face encounters are less stressful to the both of you - and if they get mad? Atleast you don't have to listen to it right away. Parents are supposed to be understanding - a mixed race relationship should not be out of the norm in this day and age, no matter how old fashioned his parents are. Its not the end of the world
smiles.gif

bustaboo

Thanks for the reply
smiles.gif
it's made me feel a little better.

I have tried explaining it to them countless times, but it just doesn't get through. It's like in one ear and out the other most of the time or they just don't respect the culture because they're comparing it to their own.

I guess another thing is I'm very careful with how I react to their opinions and judgment because I work with them. I don't want to come off as rude or defensive so even telling them in a nice way to mind their own business could result in me being bitched about later on.

He thinks his dad kind of knows he is seeing someone. His mum has no idea. His dad has dropped a few hints, especially when he has seen strands of my long hair stuck to my boyfriends clothes/jackets
tong.gif
and he has come very close to telling his mum a few times but there's always someone to interrupt!

He has asked her "what if I was with an Indian girl?" and her response was just jokingly "you would get very fat from her cooking!" so he couldn't get a serious answer.

He recently did tell his great aunt about me. He's pretty close with her and refers to her as one of his grandmas. She wasn't happy at first but then after a while she said she would talk to his mum when she got back. That was kind of a relief for us both.

Right now it's just waiting to find out when his mum will be back, hopefully way before August. It's kind of like the last thing that needs to be finalized with us. We're official but when it comes to his family...we're not there yet.

nursee81

i think that its a hard situation that you are in right now! I think that your friends aren't being supportive which they should be at this time. He hasn't told his family it not like he's beating you and abusive. I think that they need to step back and rethink the grief they are giving you.
And him not telling his parents has to be equally hard for you and him. May be he can tell them over the phone so that way it will be easier. hope everything works out!

dietcokeg

Dont worry iam a Muslim and ive only ever had relationship with christians ive never had an issue with that but with me too my parents could never know they would kill me! Iam sure he really loves you but trust me it so much tougher then you will ever know to be in his poisition its like being torn between 2 worlds. Hopefully everything will turn out for the better and one day you will meet his parents. Muslim parents now a days are very open minded and you might be surprised by their reaction somewhere down the line. Mine are super strict unfortunately!

As for your friends its none of their business its not bugging you so why should it bug them? they have issues, jsut agree to disagree on the issue and let them know its has nothing to do with them.

Now go and be Happy with your man!

bustaboo

Haha thanks ladies
smiles.gif

dietcokeg I definitely know how hard it is for him too which is why I don't pressure him. I'm the one who has it easy.

I have dated a Muslim before and my parents could not stand him especially my dad who is a strong Christian. But there were other factors too, he was quite a bit older than me and had been married before but separated. He also had a kid. I went through a lot of crap with my family to be with him but it just didn't work out in the end. He turned out to be a total loser anyway.

This time around, my parents were a lot more accepting because I have grown up a lot since then and am pretty independent now compared to how I was when I was 17. My bf is only a year older than me, has a good job and is also doing his masters at uni this year. My parents can also see how well he treats me and trust him with looking after me and now that's all that matters to them.

obscuria

I'm just going to comment about your friends.
People don't like what they can't understand. So from their perspective since they don't know anything about your boyfriend's culture, they can only speak as if he is not of that culture.

That being said, I don't think it's right for them to say the things they are saying though. You may need to put them in their place about it because they are overstepping a boundary when they put down your relationship because of a cultural difference that they can't wrap their heads around. It definitely does not mean that your relationship is "BS" as they said. Knowing what you know, you should be very happy and flattered that he wants you to meet his family, even if it has taken a while and circumstances are getting in the way.

Meisje

Your friends are experiencing a sort of xenophobia (a fear of things that are different --- specifically different cultures).

They don't understand the context of why your boyfriend has not made the introduction, and they are trying to apply their rules and values to a situation where their rules and values are not applicable.

You should tell them you appreciate the concern but you understand why your boyfriend has not made the introduction, and that you know it will happen when the time is right. You might try explaining, but they might not listen; if they continue to harass you about it, you could firmly state that you love that they care about you but the constant questioning about the situation is stressing you out.

banana1234

they sound pretty catty. do these girlfriends have boyfriends? they are either being very insensitive, or are jealous

bustaboo

They all have boyfriends. The 2 girls that always push their opinion are engaged and married. The one that's engaged is the one that upsets me the most, we both handle things very differently when it comes to relationships.

She's more "it's my way or the highway" and I'm more open to compromising and wanting to work things out so me and my bf are both happy with the end result.

She even got annoyed at me a few months ago because I canceled on joining them all for a breakfast one Saturday - because my bf had finally organized and booked a weekend away to celebrate our first anniversary.

I say finally because our anniversary date ended up being right in the middle of Ramadan last year, so I had to wait until it was over and then also wait until we both had a free weekend. The previous 2 weekends where I was free he wasn't because of other commitments to friends/family - which we had argued over before, but I got over it. I said yes to a breakfast the girls organized on a Saturday but then he surprised me by telling me he booked us a fancy hotel for the same weekend, so of course I said sorry to the girls because I was going to finally celebrate our anniversary and I'd been waiting to do so for a long time (just a little over a month).

This one girl didn't like that one bit, and was annoyed that he couldn't cancel on his friends on the previous weekends but I'm canceling on them. I could see where she was coming from but at the same time what I was canceling on was nothing compared to what he didn't - the things he went to were special occasions and one-offs. This was just a breakfast, where I would see them on Monday at work anyway.

She wanted me to tell him no, I'm going to breakfast and he can book another weekend. I said no to her which resulted in her bitching about it to everyone.

The most recent clash was her engagement party early this month, she sent invites out in December which me and my bf rsvp'd yes to. A close friend of my bf just found out that he and his wife are going to have a baby, they had been trying for 3 years and thought it wasn't going to happen so this was a huge thing for them. So he organized a kind of boys night to celebrate which ended up being the night of the engagement.

My bf apologized to him and said he was pretty sure he already had something on that night (he couldn't remember the date) and his friend was a little upset. I confirmed with him it is the same night, but I was like "WOW! after 3 years they're finally pregnant?? don't worry about the engagement, I'll just go with the girls myself. Your friends thing is a big deal" I wanted him to go to this thing and I considered his friends thing more important than him going to the engagement because he'd only met this girl once and hardly knows her. So I thought I'd done the right thing in telling him to celebrate with his friend.

Once I told her he wasn't coming, she was like "You need to stop making excuses for him" and got really pissed and started lecturing. I got upset and spoke to him about it, once he heard about the crap I was getting he said "Don't worry, I'll tell my friend I'll see him another time. I'll come to the party. I said yes to you first." and this made me feel like terrible because I knew how important this was to him. Even though I kept objecting to him going he wouldn't listen. He only went to the party for me so I wouldn't be by myself and wouldn't cop it later on from this girl. Then he copped it from his friends - they eventually got over it but they now think I'm the type of gf that forces him into things he doesn't want to do when it's really the total opposite. All because of this 1 girl!!!

Oh my god, huge post again sorry. I'd better get out of bed and have breakfast lol

Shadowy Lady

I agree that your friends are being unreasonable. I value my friends' opinion only when they know and understand the whole situation. I don't think your friends understand the cultural differences and compromise that go along with it. It seems like your boyfriend is a good guy and treating you well, that's all that matters. The only time friends should intervene is when a bf is being abusive IMO. I also feel like there might be some jealousy involved, just because they're married/engaged doesn't mean they can't be envious of you. Maybe their married life sucks, who knows? At this point, I would just ignore their comments when it comes to your relationship.

Btw, I'm Persian and my parents are non practicing muslims (they don't fast or pray, they also drink, lol!). I've been an atheist for as long as I can remember. I always dated ppl outside of my culture and ended up marrying a man with Catholic background and of a different race. His parents are actually pretty religious but none of the sides had any problems with our relationship. I don't have a brother so my parents treat my hubby like their own son. My in laws don't have a daughter and they treat me like they're my parents. We've been together 7 years now and the cultural differences actually makes our relationship much more interesting. You can always learn so much from the other side
smiles.gif

Sorry about my long post too
winks.gif
I just wanted to tell you that multi-cultural relationships can be so fulfilling

kaliraksha

I really do agree that a multi-cultural relationship is very rewarding. My bf is Indian and he didn't tell his parents about us for almost 3 yrs. I had many friends that said the same thing yours did...and here is what I will say... I've been with my guy for almost 8 yrs now and none of my nay-sayer friends have stuck with their bfs... regardless of whether they told their parents about their girlfriends.

Sometimes situations do garner special attention and different considerations, otherwise we really could get all of this down to an exact science. Stick with what you know in your heart about your guy.

talste

I've been through kinda the same thing, I married a man from a different culture & knew him for 9 years before I met his Mum & Dad (he had the same deal with only introducing the future wife to the parents) During those 9 years his mum kept trying to arrange marriages for him, lol His family are still in the home country while Hubby & I were living around the Asia/Pacific region. So it's not like he was still living at home.

Ok to go off track a bit (I think this is important to mention having lived through it): After marriage his parents ended up "accepting me" but the cultural differences are too much for his mum & sister so I don't communicate with them at all. As Women are somewhat oppressed & the gender roles are quite specific with females being the "submissive, weaker sex" where he is from so his Mum & sis are always offended if I say "No" to him or am sarcastic towards him. To deal with that I basically told them "this is who I am, If you are offended by me being me, that is your problem not mine so build a bridge & get over it or don't" (yeah I was that blunt. but that is who I am) Hubby supports me, it took a while as he sided with his family initially until he saw first hand how his sister & Mum behaved towards me due to me "offending" them all the time by just being myself, eg if Hubby & I were sitting on the couch & he asked me to get him a drink I would say "why mate? Are you legs painted on or something" ( apparently this is hugely offensive behaviour where he is from). So that is something to think about if you finally do meet the family. As your BF's family will probably have pre conceived notions on how a GF should act towards him & them and if you don't fit the bill then it puts your BF in a tense situation.

In relation to your friends, being raised in Australia myself & having gone through the same thing I can tell you your friends ignorance is their problem not yours. I dealt with that line of questioning by responding with something along the lines of "Yeah different cultures do different things, There's 195 countries on the globe not all of them eat Vegemite, watch Home & Away & hold liberal views on marriage / relationships you should get out & experience life a bit to see for yourself" making the questioner feel ignorant & ill informed (I'd reply with a giggle of course so I didn't come across as too bitchy, hehe) Don't let it get to you, If they're really annoying you that much you can always tell your friends the "BF parents situation" is a no go topic between you guys, A true friends can respect that.

bustaboo

Thank you for all your wonderful replies ladies I appreciate it very much. They have helped me out a lot and now I'm not so stressed and worried!

I'm also happy to hear so many positive things about your own multicultural relationships
smiles.gif

I love my man so much, nothing and nobody can ruin that now. As long as we're both happy together that's all that matters.

Meisje

I just wanted to add something --- I find it upsetting that your friends are negative about him and give you grief because of your relationship, yet they make a fuss when he is not able to hang out with them.

banana1234

i think, as long as you are confident that one day he will tell them, and that he loves you, then they should shut it!