Dot and the Kangaroo

Eoraptor

Hi girls! Look what I found last night on YouTube- Dot and the Kangaroo!

I used to love this movie when I was little, but I've never seen it since. I wasn't even alive when it was released in 1978, so I bet I saw a rerun when I was 3ish. Rewatching it now really brought back memories- OLD memories. I think this is perhaps the longest gap between initial experience and reliving the experience that I've ever had occur. It was like vague concepts came back to me. They didn't seem exactly the same as the first time, which I bet is due to my change in knowledge and perspective after 20+ years! But the kookaburra, the "Riding in the Pouch of a Red Kangaroo" song, the Bunyip song and animation (that was so freaky at the time), the platypus and the sad ending (*cries*) all were lodged in my brain somewhere. Now that I'm more knowledgable, I can recognize that the animals are fairly accurate and all Australian species. I also approve of the wise platypus expousing an old Earth and evolution, though I certainly didn't comprehend that as a child. And what a sad ending! I'm gonna have to make sure my kids watch this, once I have some. It's better than the vast majority of children's movies out nowdays.

Are any of you at the right age to remember this?

Daligani

jawdrop.gif
OH MY GOD!!!!

OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!

I used to LOVE this movie as a little girl!!!!!!

Thank you SO much for posting this. I could seriously hug the hell out of you right about now!

th_worship.gif
th_worship.gif
th_worship.gif

Daligani

Again, thank you so much for posting the link to that movie!!!
th_hug.gif

I watched half of it last night and the rest this morning. OMG, sooooo many memories!! I haven't seen it since I was probably 7 or 8 yrs old, but I even remembered some of the songs!!! And would you believe that even though I'm 32 yrs old, I STILL cried at the end?!?!?!?!

How the hell did you find it???

Eoraptor

Aww, I'm so glad I helped somebody with this post! It's so hard to find other people who have seen it, but at least you understand. *hugs* I cried at the end too, even tho I'm 25. It was so sad! Even though I noticed most of the kangaroo footage at the end was of a male (oops!).

As for how I found it, a recent Strongbad Email on Homestar Runner featured part of what I thought was the Ducktales theme song (loved the show as a kid). So I looked that up on YouTube, then watched hours of 80's and 90's cartoon opening sequences, and thought "hey, I wonder if they have anything from Dot and the Kangaroo?" A shame they don't have Dot and the Whale too, which is the only other Dot film I saw.

*HUGS* again

Latest posts