dress code C:

xxyrbestbetxx

Hey guys,

So i start training on tuesday and i want to go shopping today, so i was wondering what the dress code is for mac at nordstroms. so far i know it's all black with silver or black jewelry and black shoes.

i know i find this all out on tuesday, but i'm driving to denver today to go shopping so i can be prepared before i even start training.

for all your mac employees, what shoes do you wear? i want something cute but comfortable so i can be on my feet for several hours.

Bernadette

Questions concerning a specific cosmetics line should be placed in the "Working for Cosmetics Retailers section." Not trying to get on your case, just giving you a heads up.

As far as MAC dress code, we are allowed to wear silver, gold or any other natural metal jewelry, natural wood jewelry, or diamonds/rhinestones. Belts have to be all black or can have a natural color metal on them. All clothing should be solid black. Only on theme or Viva Glam days will that vary.
Some specifics that vary by Nordstrom location are, covering tattoos; no tank tops; no shorts; no mini skirts. The best thing to do is to ask about that specific Nordstrom. Those rules really vary depending on the store manager. I know here each Nordstrom varies, especially on the tattoos.
As far as shoes I think flats are always the safest bet. I have some wedges that are really comfy too but I always test wedges out before I wear them to work because sometimes after six hours, even those hurt. I think it's smart to bring a comfy pair of flats and depending on what kind of situation you have in your stock room, you might be able to keep them there. A lot of freestanding stores give the employees lockers but at Nordstrom you probably won't have that. Bring that extra pair of flats and keep them wherever you can, even in your car. You'll be glad you did when you need them.
You're going to love working for MAC
thmbup.gif

I forgot to add that they suggest not wearing 100% cotton clothing because the black fades so fast. I was also told that anything from Banana Republic is a greenish black so not to get stuff from there. Whew now I officially gave every tid bit of info I had!

xxyrbestbetxx

thanks so much!!!!!!
this is so much great info!!! i'll have to see what my nordstroms says about the dress code, but i did get some cute black stuff that wasn't too over the top.

giz2000

Nordstrom is very conservative as far as dress code for MAC goes...like Bernadette said, you are not allowed to wear anything short (unless you have tightsor leggings underneath), nothing sleeveless, no tanks/camis, not too much cleavage (if any), no bare midriffs. Tattoos need to be pretty much covered up as well. When I was there, I would wear nice black dress clothes, and funk everything up with jewelry, hair and of course, the makeup.

As far as shoes go, flats are ok for a little while, but your back and heels will kill you if you're on them for too long. Through lots of trial and error (and many days of aching feet) I found that wedges like these (in black, of course):

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/16216810/c/200.html
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/26265571/c/105.html
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/23360677/c/72.html
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/23361677/c/89.html

will keep your feet from hurting for most of your shift. I found a lot of cute ones at DSW (mostly Charles by Charles David or Guess because the wedges were made of rubber and absorbed the shock from the floors). I would also suggest you take flip flops or ballet flats for your breaks. You can't wear thong-style shoes, either If I am not mistaken, that's a MAC-wide rule). Also remember to save the receipts for all your work-related clothing and shoes and any dry-cleaning of your work clothes. Since they're part of a "uniform" for work, you can deduct the expenses on your taxes. HTH!

lara

Cowboy boots, ballet flats, Chuck Taylors. I can't wear anything else without falling to the floor in agony after a couple of hours.

Bernadette

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
Cowboy boots, ballet flats, Chuck Taylors. I can't wear anything else without falling to the floor in agony after a couple of hours.

We're not allowed to wear any form of sneakers here. Not even fancy looking high dollar ones that almost don't look like sneakers. Dang, I wish.

I thought of something else!
You've gotta have your toe nails painted if you're wearing open-toed shoes. You can also only use MAC nail polishes.

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernadette
We're not allowed to wear any form of sneakers here. Not even fancy looking high dollar ones that almost don't look like sneakers. Dang, I wish.

I thought of something else!
You've gotta have your toe nails painted if you're wearing open-toed shoes. You can also only use MAC nail polishes.

It's a fair trade, because we can't wear any sort of open toe or open heel shoes at all!

About the 100% cotton clothing and the issue of fading, I say hang the expense and go for the comfort of cotton. It's maybe more work in the long run (I throw all my black cotton dresses and tunics into a black dye bath every couple of months to refresh them, it's cheaper than buying new clothes all the time), but at least you don't stew under hot lights and develop some noxious body sweat.
puke.gif

ETA: black opaque tights - buy them, wear them, love them. They make the wardrobe choices available to you so much bigger.

Bernadette

Lara, it is a fair trade. Funny how things vary!
Thanks so much for pointing out the option of dying cotton items, it's so obvious I feel like a total ding dong for not thinking about it. Cotton here I come.

lara

Re: recs for hurting feet?

Something else I swear by - split sole jazz shoes!

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/1955132/c/3.html

I have these and they're divine. The sole is more or less a street sole, so they wear really well. They're designed for people with high arches who carry their weight on the ball of their foot, so they're fantastic for trotting about on hard floors.

Latest posts