drugstore, other high end brands vs mac

Nepenthe

All of this is a big experiment to me.

I definitely have brand preferences for particular items, but I'm usually willing to try most things. There are tons of alternatives out there, and I've never found a brand that was amazing across the board.. every company has their strengths and weaknesses. I don't want to limit myself by only using one brand, so I branch out.. I have a lot of fun exploring and trying new things.
greengrin.gif

Purrceys

I personally like a lot of drugstore items. Some of them are quite good quality and cheaper (which is always a plus). I consider MAC to be "middle end"; more money than drugstore but cheaper than HE.

For me to purchase a HE item it has to be very special and well worth the $$. As a result, I don't own very much HE items (a few NARS blushes and Benefit's boxed blushes).

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenLeiBlu
I might have to charge you rent for hanging out inside my head. I've been thinking about posting something similar all day today, but I have a hard time not coming off as harsh over the internet, since so much of the tone gets lost in the text.

I expect on this board for people to be all ga-ga over MAC, because HELLO, that's what this community is centered around. However I'd be lying if I said that it didn't bother me some when some people here ad in other places I catch up on makeup talk/news turn their noses up at drugstore/ big box/discount chain brands. The "snobbery" lots of times is just thrown out there, without ever having tried the product at hand. I'm willing to try and use EVERYTHING, and that's due to the fact that lot of commercially available beauty/hair products don't fit my needs, so I play "kitchen chemist" and "bathroom beautician" quite often. Thus, when it comes to makeup, I'll use ANYTHING as long as it works for me. Some people just like to rail against less expensive things just based on the fact that a prestigious name isn't attached to it, which I feel is ridiculous. I don't pay for stuff so I can talk about the name attatched to it, I buy what gives the results that I want. For some people, the results they want may honestly come attached to a "prestige" brand all the time, but I think a lot of people need to get over themselves.

Hmm, in my experience, DS brands/products are hit or miss. But there are some great products out there and every high-end brand has a few duds as well.. I have a small drugstore stash (some Milani, HIP, NYX, and Hard Candy) but as much as I like my DS products, I have high-end ones that are better, but it's the combination of decent quality and decent price that makes DS products good.

I do agree that MAC isn't the in-all-be-all, and the grand scheme of things, MAC isn't what I would call "high-end", not compared to the likes of Dior, Guerlain, Chanel, Armani, etc...