Dry skin

seabird

Any products you've found that helps?

i've tried clinique dramatically different moisturizing lotion, and the chanel hydramax. i've used hydrocortisones (both prescription and non-pres) and NOTHING has helped, what makes it worse is that it's around my lips so i look scaly/lizard like. sometimes it dries my lips out, so i use balm (and i've used every balm under the sun and it still doesn't work) and i use the toothbrush method to get rid of dry skin but it doesn't seem to work.

anyone have any miracle solutions? it makes my make-up look so messy.

wolfsong

I had really dry hands when i had to look after sick kittens because i am a germaphobe (and the soap/disinfectant gel stuff was harsh). I used Nivea cream (the royal blue pot) every time my hands got wet and also in the morning and at night. My hands were all better in days (and this was from so dry they were cracked in places - lovely look!) - as long as you continue using it daily (when you feel your skin being dry) then you'll be left with baby soft skin. Use liberally at first - even though its thick, then you can reduce it when your skin gets better. Maybe a gentle face scrub/mask would be a good idea first.

Also Bio Oil is wonderful on a lot of people, however it can make some break out (i have never had this problem though). Bio Oil also makes your skin baby ass soft in a couple of days, but it leaves skin greasy for a couple of hours after unless you blot/apply makeup over it. Its amazing on under eye shadows and puffy eyes.
Dont apply moisturizing products when the skin is wet - it makes it less effective. Also lotions are usually rubbish for dry skin - it may help you not to get it, but it does little to get rid of it IMO.

Once you have the dry skin sorted, an everyday moisturizer morning and night may be all you need.

Edit:
A gentle lip exfoliator/scrub is great for peeling lips. I personally use Nivea as a lip balm a few times a day. It doesnt taste fruity, but it keeps my lips smooth! Exchanging lipsticks for lipglosses applied over a moisturizer has helped with me during the colder months as lips arent naked to the elements/being turned into prunes due to lipstick.

Girl about town

a nourishing moistuising face mask would do the trick , body shop do a honey and oatmeal one, clinique also do a moisturising one that are both good x

wolfsong

I have heard that clinique are bad for moisturizing products. Their masks are probably good though - its hard to get that wrong.

NutMeg

I have very dry skin and I used to live in Alberta where it is extremely dry which just made it worse. I use Skin Drink by Lush or Aquasource for dry skin by Biotherm as daily maintenance and pure jojoba oil when I'm having a painfully dry day. I know it sounds expensive and complicated, but if you go to a natural food store you can get a bottle for a decent price, meaning less than high end moisturizers. I apply a squirt to my face and splash and gently massage with warm water until the oil sinks in. Because jojoba oil is so much like sebum (your natural skin oil) it sinks in really well. After I've done this I wash off the residue with something gentle like Cetaphil, and put a regular moisturizer on. Remember you can't do this everyday, just until the flakiness is gone because otherwise it will lead to increased milia and blackheads... Using a moisturizer that is too rich can clog your pores.

Good luck, I know how frustrating and painful extremely dry skin can be. PM me if you have any questions.